Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Reg ruined the game, but Fred's miss is the big regret. Still, only a two-point gap still and a much better performance. Ikpeazu and Tafazolli back at Bournemouth too.

The two point gap is the thing to focus on. 21st is the prize, what happens above that is about as relevant as the Champions League.

• @davecz said:
    Although the ref was crap that’s not the reason we are not winning.

Is it ainsworth not finding another way to play again?

• Refs like that just make it hard for me to have respect for any of them. Absolute jobsworth.

• @bigred87 said:
    Ainsworth is tactically inept, can't get away with it in this league.

He's right we need to get Chris Hughton in. Look what he's managing with a much higher budget and experienced Championship players.

• I don’t understand how the incident after the goal was a yellow card. If you’ve not seen it then it’s no card, but if you have seen him kicking Jacobson then it’s got to be red?

• @Chris said:
    I don’t understand how the incident after the goal was a yellow card. If you’ve not seen it then it’s no card, but if you have seen him kicking Jacobson then it’s got to be red?

He went to kick the ball away and JJ got there first. Don’t think it was intentional and would be a harsh red.

• @Chris said:
    I don’t understand how the incident after the goal was a yellow card. If you’ve not seen it then it’s no card, but if you have seen him kicking Jacobson then it’s got to be red?

Correct it was a sending off, if allsop had done the same he would have been off.

• @Wetherby_blue said:
    Worst official ever, fall over get a freekick. Linesman guessed at the end, poor officials cost us a point. Yet again

Welcome aboard @Wetherby_blue. You’ve clearly been Gasroomised very quickly!

• L> @chairboyscentral said:

Reg ruined the game, but Fred's miss is the big regret. Still, only a two-point gap still and a much better performance. Ikpeazu and Tafazolli back at Bournemouth too.

Bit harsh to blame Reg @chairboyscentral - unless that was the linesman with temporary paralysis of the right arm.

• Would it be worse to go down without a fight, or by a couple of points having things like that happen all season?

• @micra said:

@Wetherby_blue said:
    Worst official ever, fall over get a freekick. Linesman guessed at the end, poor officials cost us a point. Yet again

Welcome aboard @Wetherby_blue. You’ve clearly been Gasroomised very quickly!

Thankyou.

• Alex Pattison was certainly at fault for both their goals and messed up perhaps our best chance on goal from that Fred layoff, but it's not his fault he's being picked for the team. He's probably only League Two level but what choice do we have? We didn't take the opportunity to strengthen the squad enough in the summer and we're paying the price for it now. That decision rests with the chairman, not individual players who can't really be expected to compete at this level.

Why we're not starting Wheeler every match is beyond my comprehension though. He's the classiest player we have by a long way. He may lack Horgan's trickery, Fred's eye for goal and McCleary's pinpoint crossing, but he plays with the most intelligence and creativity of anyone, is tireless and can be relied upon pretty much anywhere on the pitch. I feel so much more confident we'll score when he's playing. If we stay up this season I think Wheeler will play as big a part in making it happen as anyone else.

Bayo showed that he can play a crucial role for 10 minutes but he so quickly fades at the moment I just don't think it makes sense bringing him on. He needs a period to properly recharge his batteries - hopefully Ikpeazu will get some minutes in the next week and allow Bayo to get a rest over Xmas.

Oh, and to me, on the replays, Kashket looked offside, he had got in front of his man too soon. But it was marginal, I could be wrong. Other than giving their keeper the ball after it hit him, I didn't think the referee did a bad job. If both sides are going to constantly foul, the match will be constantly stopped.

Final point from me. I've always thought Mark Robbins one of the best managers in the football league. Changing the whole structure on 30 minutes was an outstanding decision. Would love to see him manage Wycombe one day.

• @Wetherby_blue said:

It’s worth than that tho, he didn’t guess just waited until the Coventry defenders made it close to him.

• Wrong starting team selection. We did a lot better when the cavalry arrived but gave ourselves an uphill battle. These are games we should be targeting and arguably we could have won this game if we had started with the 11 we ended up with.

• Developed a lisp @floyd ?

• We need to sign some midfielders in January.

Can't fault Pattison's effort, but he's out of his depth, and it cost us today.

Offside decision looks marginal, and that ref would take any opportunity to blow his whistle

Better than Barnsley, but still some way of being good enough to consider staying up -a level we did reach for a while.

• @peterparrotface said:

@Malone said:
    Poor game and id forgotten how poor the view is from the main stand.

Close up of their celebrations too just to add ire.

Not sure how it looked on tv but couldn't be clearer that McCarthy had utterly wellied their man for their freekick.
    The lot round me were ludicrously disputing it. The Wycombe players too for some reason.

How is the view poor, you've lost me there?

From the end block you can't actually see a chunk of the touchline or anything in the far corner.

• There you are. One slip with no help available within 5 yards and Pattison is written off as “probably only League 2 level” !

• edited December 2020

@drcongo said:
    And the sound of the “come on Wycombe” screamer.

Scottish woman?

Right near me...my word it was bloody irritating.
    Come on Wyc-ahhhhhh-ahhhhh-mmmmmbbbeeee with voice crackling at the end.

And no other material.> @Chris said:

How late was that flag

The lino waited for us to scream celebrations and then put it up - couldn't believe it.

• edited December 2020

@Username said:
    We need to sign some midfielders in January.

Offside decision looks marginal, and that ref would take any opportunity to blow his whistle

Better than Barnsley, but still some way of being good enough to consider staying up -a level we did reach for a while.

I'd probably loan in one more midfielder. We've got three 'top tier' (Thompson, Adeniran, Gape) and one who's savvy enough to get by (Blooms), but Pattison and Freeman have looked lightweight at this level. Wheeler and McCarthy are decent options there, just not midfielders by trade. Still confident of staying up - there are a lot of bad teams in the division this season - but clearly we have to get back into our stride.

• Just back.

Each game now we're up against a different opposition and the same deadly trinity -

• Small squad.
    • Injuries.
    • Hectic timetable.

Can't change a) or c); hope we get lucky with b).

On which point, pleased to see Uche training pre-game.

• Strange game that one.
    Competing decently for 30mins - then a Pattison moment led to their goal and then compounded with another dreadful goal to concede right on half time.

The subs suddenly made us look much more dangerous and Bayo had one of his games where the opposition couldn't really handle him.

Gutted to see everyone saying the offside call was wrong too. That's another costly one.
    Kills what would have been supreme morale from such a comeback too.

We can't try a Pattison & Bloomfield combo for a game again.
    If Thompson and Adeniran aren't available then Horgan or Wheeler have to be in the three.

• Why did Ainsworth sign Parker? Hardly got a look in in League 1 but even with all our injuries, he cannot get even 10 minutes. Surely he is worth a punt. The unfortunate thing is that we haven’t got enough Championship class. Just a result of our financial position.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Username said:

I'd probably loan in one more midfielder. We've got three 'top tier' (Thompson, Adeniran, Gape) and one who's savvy enough to get by (Blooms), but Pattison and Freeman have looked lightweight at this level. Wheeler and McCarthy are decent options there, just not midfielders by trade. Still confident of staying up - there are a lot of bad teams in the division this season - but clearly we have to get back into our stride.

Bloomfield actually did pretty well today imo, and I generally don't think he should be getting anywhere near the pitch at this level.

I think we need two more midfielders who are capable of picking the ball up from the back 4 like Adeniran and to a lesser extent Thomson do. Gape doesn't have that in his game, but makes up for it in other ways.

• I thought Dom Gape was within an ace of being at his best today. He’ll want to carry that into Tuesday’s game against a rival south coast club. (Rivals to Southampton of course.). As Stewart and Thompson were smartly suited and booted in the stand today I doubt whether we’ll see them for another game or two.

• edited December 2020

@micra said:
    There you are. One slip with no help available within 5 yards and Pattison is written off as “probably only League 2 level” !

You have to separate how nice someone is as a person and how much effort they put in from their value as a footballer to the team.
    Full marks to Alex on both of the first two, but even his biggest fan would say he's benefited through circumstance to be featuring at this level.

He has it all to prove at league 1 level let alone championship.

• Giv> @Wendoverman said:

@bigred87 said:

He's right we need to get Chris Hughton in. Look what he's managing with a much higher budget and experienced Championship players.

Your humours fantastic ? ?

• edited December 2020

@micra said:
    I thought Dom Gape was within an ace of being at his best today. He’ll want to carry that into Tuesday’s game against a rival south coast club. (Rivals to Southampton of course.). As Stewart and Thompson were smartly suited and booted in the stand today I doubt whether we’ll see them for another game or two.

Off the ball I agree, on the ball he was miles off it IMO, he does default to the aimless punt rather than being the ball down too much. At least 3 times today he had 5 yards of space and still put his foot through it when it came to him

Adeniran and Thompson coming back will help that massively though, it's hard to pass the ball to players that don't make an angle to receive it

• edited December 2020

@Username said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Username said:

Bloomfield actually did pretty well today imo, and I generally don't think he should be getting anywhere near the pitch at this level.

I think we need two more midfielders who are capable of picking the ball up from the back 4 like Adeniran and to a lesser extent Thomson do. Gape doesn't have that in his game, but makes up for it in other ways.

There's definitely a disconnect between defence and midfield at times - although that's been exaggerated in recent games when we've had so many attacking players on. I think Knight could easily be that go-between, but he's too valuable at the back (keeping him will be the biggest bit of business we do in January).

• @bigred87 said:
    Giv> @Wendoverman said:

@bigred87 said:

Your humours fantastic ? ?

We've had fans bandy about ideas of paying 1m for players or giving one star player 500k a year in wages as gambles.
    Plus one fan said we should take that interest free loan and start wickedly speculating with property and investments!

So compared to those suggestions it's not that madcap :)