Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• The lads are tired, the injuries are piling up. For any other team and manager that would mean defeat was inevitable. We are not any other team. We don’t have any other manager.

We’ve got Gareth Ainsworth and Dobbo’s number two, we’re going to beat the Cov Boys, we’re the Famous Light n Dark Blue. COYB!

• That glorious feeling of a Saturday matchday returns

• Keep safe everyone!

• Coventry have statistically the dirtiest midfielder in the league (Gustavo Hamer - most fouls/90 and joint worst disciplinary record) and their stand-in 'keeper is a bit too keen to come off his line and has given away two penalties in five starts already. We need everyone on their best wind-up behaviour today, and hopefully Samuel has been practising trying to win penalties a bit more convincingly after that laughable effort against Stoke.

• Apologies for the very specific question, but can anyone tell me whether I'll be able to get food at the ground? I'm about to set off on the bike and it will take me a couple of hours to get there. Do I need to get food on the way?

• @OakwoodExile There will be food trucks outside - check the preview on the club site!

• Expecting nothing from this. But we live in hope.

• It's Coventry, so i don't expect to win, but having abandoned all hope at about 430 eastern on Wednesday, i'd like something to feel positive about again!

• I was going to say “430 eastern?” then I remembered you’re in the States @floyd A right state I imagine! I’ve only recently surfaced in HP15.

• At least when you're watching in the UK, there's not much of the day left to be ruined.

• @floyd said:
    It's Coventry, so i don't expect to win, but having abandoned all hope at about 430 eastern on Wednesday, i'd like something to feel positive about again!

Positive hat on son.

• I know forum pedants will argue about must win and will argue until their fingers are red raw that today isn't any more important than any other game...

But if we could win this one it'd be huge. Bring a 7 point gap to Coventry down to 4 and pull them into the relegation party mix a bit.

Now if we lost...we'd be 10 points off them and there's a gang of clubs just above the bottom 5 pulling away.

So to conclude...win please boys.

• edited December 2020

ps with my favoured parking spot often a pure lottery - whether we have 1000 going or 7000 - I presume those arrival times are just a guidance and if you turn up 5mins late they won't bar you? Or anything too silly like that?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    At least when you're watching in the UK, there's not much of the day left to be ruined.

Yep. Once you’ve got home from a lengthy game and egress at AP the day is mostly over, which can be a real benefit!

• Oof, not a line up that inspires confidence.

• I give up, after the dire sunday league football we played on Wednesday, we were dying for a player to get it down and play passing football, energy, vision, drive with the ball, freshen things up, and what we got in the 10 position, Blooms?

• @floyd said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    At least when you're watching in the UK, there's not much of the day left to be ruined.

Yep. Once you’ve got home from a lengthy game and egress at AP the day is mostly over, which can be a real benefit!

Oh, but that day long euphoria if we win!

• Id rather Parker starts than Samuel maybe that will be the change on the hour.

• Good god!!

• I hope very much to try reverse psychology here, but we absolutely will not win with that starting line up.

• @Quarterman said:
    I hope very much to try reverse psychology here, but we absolutely will not win with that starting line up.

Well worth a try.

• Gape Pattison Blooms. No problem, we will be by-passing midfield anyway.

• Going to be a long afternoon. Not confident

• edited December 2020

Containment first / combative team that to protect back 4 maybe but gives us a platform as they say, entry protocol complete with minimum fuss, well done to all involved.

• Wasn’t Adeniran on the bench midweek? Where’s he gone?

• My optimism has just shrunk somewhat

• @robin said:
    Id rather Parker starts than Samuel maybe that will be the change on the hour.

Josh Parker has become such an important talking point for some despite him rarely playing.
    I'm happy with our play off winning centre forward for now. Maybe a run of games for him will help him.
    Stewart and Thompson still big misses for us but at least proper midfielders playing helps our shape (not formation eh @chairboyscentral ?)

• @HolmerBlue said:
    My optimism has just shrunk somewhat

It's a cold day here too!