Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• edited December 2020

Gunna have to say that that was shit. It was like watching Wycombe 2 years ago. One dimensional, and no back up. GA not making a sub until it's too late. Not the Wycombe we have come accustomed to of late. Bad day at the office. Gunna have to chalk that one off as tired legs and injuries hitting us hard. Move on, learn, we'll go again.

• Oh, and we managed 6 shots total tonight. Two on target.

• edited December 2020

@Shev said:
    Our first touch always looks like we are juggling fire over a lava pit.

I think that was the most disappointing thing about tonight. For me, a number of players have shown the capacity to bring the ball down and do something potentially productive with it in the past few weeks but tonight was just as you describe - endless hoofball, not even well-directed or coordinated. Super disappointing play.

Having said that, well done to Barnsley for shutting us down and generating much the greater threat.

• @drcongo said:
    That’s the worst we’ve played all season I think. Kind of understandable given our injuries, but we had 17 shots on goal on Saturday playing it on the ground with almost the same team. Tonight we’re up against a team with 3 absolute giants at the back and we just keep punting it long. I simply don’t understand that.

I love GA, but this really made me question his tactical nous. When all of the fans watching are seeing the same thing, it is a little perturbing when the manager does not.

• Poor performance but I thought we might at least hang on after the pen. Good night for the 'we're going down' 'only telling the truth' folks though. I assume they'll be arguing with @glasshalffull shortly about how they can't have an opinion. Night all.

• Not doubt Ainsworth is really proud of the boys but that was dreadful. I love this team but that was very poor. You would have to ask Ainsworth what was his thinking in bringing on three subs in the 84 minute, because to me that’s much to late. I know we have injuries but no excuses for that rubbish. What has Parker done to not get a game. Even @glasshalffull would struggle to defend that?

• Awful game, awful tired and disjointed display, but I remember after that wonderful night at Wembley when people were saying’I don’t care if we lose every week, just be great to see Wycombe in the Championship!’
    Well, that didn’t last long, did it?

• @Manboobs I'm glad you clarified that they were playing football because it didn't look like it to me. Terrible stuff that wouldn't have looked out of place down on the Rye.
    It's not often that we're so bad, so I'm going to try and cut GA and the team some slack but we need to be much better on Saturday if we are to get any points.
    I hope @glasshalffull can find something positive in tonight's performance because I can't.

• Oh give it a rest Alan. Any chance of you coming on here without having a go at other fans one day?

• When is the next international break?!?

We look exhausted. Too many costly injuries to key players.

Bayo looks absolutely shattered but he still came close to creating a couple of openings. Bit frustrating that the management have openly admitted we need a way of playing without him, but we haven’t really tried anything different.

Having said that, Barnsley were equally poor and just showed a little more quality once or twice in attack, which made the difference.

I’m hoping we will try a different style against Coventry. They have totally outplayed us the last 3-4 encounters that I recall and have never looked troubled by the direct game.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Awful game, awful tired and disjointed display, but I remember after that wonderful night at Wembley when people were saying’I don’t care if we lose every week, just be great to see Wycombe in the Championship!’

Even when you agree with their perspective, you apparently remain keen to take potshots at other fans!

• edited December 2020

I wouldn’t mind watching my us lose every game in the championship at all as long as in each of those games we looked like we were trying to win it. Or even trying to score a goal.

• edited December 2020

The game reminded me a little of a midweek away game on a chilly night at Crewe, the season before we were promoted, I think. We lost 2-1 in an unmemorable affair untouched by any noticeable quality, to, I think, a penalty that Sido gave away lateish.

• How many times was their keeper tested? Therein lies the problem. Hoofball will only guarantee us relegation. Championship defenders are generally good enough to cover long balls & flick-ons.

We have the players to play more football but we simply don’t. People always complain about the lack of a “Plan B”. Do we need it now!

• edited December 2020

@A_Worboys said:
    How many times was their keeper tested? Therein lies the problem. Hoofball will only guarantee us relegation. Championship defenders are generally good enough to cover long balls & flick-ons.

We have the players to play more football but we simply don’t. People always complain about the lack of a “Plan B”. Do we need it now!

'Hoofball' almost got Cardiff promoted last season.

• I can only assume that Josh Parker has shat in Gareth’s mustang.

• Why is everyone saying it was a soft penalty? We're not that biased are we? Was a blatant trip

• @drcongo said:
    Oh give it a rest Alan. Any chance of you coming on here without having a go at other fans one day?

Because of his ‘association’ with club, he feels he has to defend the club and he sees that it gives him the right to have a pop at everyone .

• @glasshalffull said:
    Awful game, awful tired and disjointed display, but I remember after that wonderful night at Wembley when people were saying’I don’t care if we lose every week, just be great to see Wycombe in the Championship!’

Well no, you've just described our performance as awful. How's that any different to the fans you've come here to have a go at as usual?

• You know those games when you think "That was so-and-so's best game for ages/of the season/ever"? This was the inverse of that.

• Now, I genuinely wouldn't want to watch that every week!!!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Now, I genuinely wouldn't want to watch that every week!!!

Lol.

• @drcongo said:
    Oh give it a rest Alan. Any chance of you coming on here without having a go at other fans one day?

People who have been doing the same thing for over 30 years are not likely to change now

• Saturday is a huge game, Coventry really are one of those sides we want to be keeping in touch of. I can't say our recent record with them fills me with much hope.

• The challenge seems to be without Curtis & Dennis we do not seem to have anyone who is prepared to take the game by the scruff of the neck and try something a little different from the hoof it to Bayo and hope plan A;
    We have players in Horgan, GMac, Kashket, Wheeler & Fred who are all comfortable with the ball at their feet and prepared to take defenders on, but they seem to be constrained in doing so by the pressure of plan A and a lack of vision in midfield. Too often today the width was created by our fullbacks galloping forward leaving us horribly exposed at the back, which is a recipe for getting a sound kicking against teams that are able to pass it around.

• That was more head ball than football. Truly awful game to endure. Worst we have played all season. Must do better.

• @johnthehair said:
    That was more head ball than football. Truly awful game to endure. Worst we have played all season. Must do better.

@chairboyscentral Do you have stats for the number of headers? It did feel like an extraordinary number tonight.

• We can all agree that was shit. We all can agree that was us at far from our best. We can all agree that we need to do better. It's gone 10pm, let's all take a collective big sigh.... Roll our eyes in frustration, pray that the next one will be a magnificent win and keep our chins up!! We are not down and out yet!! Night chairboys and girls ???

• We were awful tonight, lucky to lose 2-1.

We looked very tired to me