Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• Watching the highlights of Swansea Vs Bournemouth from last night (15 minutes I'll never get back), 2things.....

1 What the f#$k has happened to the pitch?

2 What has the Swansea manager been smoking?

• TEAM NEWS: Dom’s back!

Allsop, Grimmer, Jacobson, Gape, Wheeler, Kashket, Knight, Horgan, McCleary, Akinfenwa, McCarthy.

• Subs: Stockdale, Pattison, Bloomfield, Freeman, Onyedinma, Adeniran, Samuel, Parker, Mehmeti.

• Wonder what the thinking is of playing Grimmer at centre back instead of McCarthy?
    Disrupts two positions in the back 4 instead of one?

• Has to be a typo, surely?

• No defenders on the bench. We really are down to the bone!

• Ever seen McCarthy head the ball?!

• @Malone said:
    Wonder what the thinking is of playing Grimmer at centre back instead of McCarthy?

I only put him there cause he went there on Saturday. Although personally I feel safer with him there, less tendency to go walkabout.

• @Shev said:
    Has to be a typo, surely?

Read back a bit - not sure what you mean old chap!

• @micra said:
    Ever seen McCarthy head the ball?!

Quite a bit in that season he played centre back for us!

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:
    Wonder what the thinking is of playing Grimmer at centre back instead of McCarthy?

I only put him there cause he went there on Saturday. Although personally I feel safer with him there, less tendency to go walkabout.

Rampaging forward is his key attribute isn't it?

I used to play centre back alongside a kid who played like him though - and you're basically covering 2 positions all game!

• edited December 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

Rampaging forward is his key attribute isn't it?

I used to play centre back alongside a kid who played like him though - and you're basically covering 2 positions all game!

Grimmer is quite rampaging, but McCarthy is more so and gets caught out of position. Knight stepping out from defence is key for us in terms of sustaining pressure as well, I think Grimmer would balance that better and that's possibly why he slotted in there on Saturday. But we shall see, I could be completely wrong!

• Definitely looks like a 4-4-2 diamond. Hopefully Gape is fit to perform at his top level.

Chaplin and Woodrow is a good front pairing, they will need to be watched closely. I expect McCarthy played with at least one of them at Barnsley.

• @bluntphil Is there iFollow commentary tonight?

• I’ve a very short and/or selective memory @Malone. I like Tom’s rationale.

• It feels like Chaplin always scores against us. Not looking forward to him up against a relatively make-shift defence tonight...

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    Has to be a typo, surely?

Read back a bit - not sure what you mean old chap!

Not really a typo, but I thought Grimmer and McCarthy were the wrong way around in the graphic. @chairboyscentral explained, though!

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @bluntphil Is there iFollow commentary tonight?

I was about to ask this - seems I can get the Barnsley audio but nothing coming through on the away team feed as of yet...?

• @NewburyWanderer said:

Just started. Late enough to worry us!

• @LDF said:
    I've been lambasted on another thread for not contributing to discussions about football so I'll kick off this one. Come on Wycombe!

If you mean me @LDF I have to take issue. I was trying to encourage you to have the confidence at least to venture an occasional Wanderers related comment.
    Not exactly PC but I’d be delighted if you posted “well fuck me sideways and call me Suzie” when Wycombe score the winning goal.

• @NewburyWanderer said:

Oh good ?

• Aaah @bluntphil just popped up

• Odd. I can get the home commentary but nothing on the away side. Are you guys getting Phil et al coming through?

• Phil and Matt loud and clear. Have you selected away audio?

• @floyd said:
    Phil and Matt loud and clear. Have you selected away audio?

Yes. Don't worry - it's come through now. My video had lagged a few minutes behind. Refreshed and up to date now. Thanks.

• Was wondering what the delay is then realised I'd been caught out again by needing to press "go live" as it seemed to have acquired a 4min delay somehow!

• why are we always going back to Alsopp even when we are attacking?!!