Skip to content

Misted Specs

I note that several people on the Gasroom have been having trouble with misting up of specs when wearing a mask. I find that smearing the lenses (back and front) with a tiny amount of Fairy Liquid then wiping it off with a handkerchief or similar cloth works very well. Other brands are available.

Comments

• @micra said:
    I note that several people on the Gasroom have been having trouble with misting up of specs when wearing a mask. I find that smearing the lenses (back and front) with a tiny amount of Fairy Liquid then wiping it off with a handkerchief or similar cloth works very well. Other brands are available.

Care with this as it can cause damage to the lens, especially those that are now partly or completely made of plastic.

• I hadn’t heard that, Alan. I can only speak from six months personal experience. The lenses in my specs are definitely plastic (very light) and are immaculate despite being two years old. It may be that those with anti-reflective coating are vulnerable.
    My local opticians quoted £15 for anti-mist fluid. I think Specsavers supply a cheaper treatment but I’ve been very happy with the DIY version.

• @micra said:
    I hadn’t heard that, Alan. I can only speak from six months personal experience. The lenses in my specs are definitely plastic (very light) and are immaculate despite being two years old. It may be that those with anti-reflective coating are vulnerable.
    My local opticians quoted £15 for anti-mist fluid. I think Specsavers supply a cheaper treatment but I’ve been very happy with the DIY version.

I had this problem on Wednesday night. Ended up watching most of the match with my less than 20/20 vision. My glasses are too new and too pricy to experiment with DIY solutions or the multitude of "magic solutions" on Amazon and Ebay. Which optician did you get the £15 quote from? All I can find on the specsavers site is "glasses cleaning fluid" which doen't seem to make any anti-fog claims.

• It’s six months since I spoke to Specsavers and our local opticians (trading under the name of the previous longstanding owner, W J [Wendy] Kepetzis in Eastern Dene, Hazlemere. Telephone 01494 716708.)

• Specsavers 01494 520304.