Skip to content

Fans in attendance

Comments

• Thought the whole thing was brilliantly managed by the club overall - entrance, exit and distancing spot on.

One annoyance though is of the 6 people closest to me:

• 1 had a visor, took it off when he sat down. Asked to put it on by a steward, then took it off again when the steward walked away

• 1 had their mask hanging from one ear

• 2 had their noses out

• 2 had them covering only their chin.

It’s only when you spend a period of time with other members of the public you realise how many Covidiots there are.

• The old fella next to me took his mask off when he got to his seat.

I guess they could have a reminder to wear masks and to wear them over the nose during the regular safety announcements.

We should have hand sanitizer by the entrance to the stand and near or in the toilets. It would have been useful as the guy on the gate grabbed and fingered my phone to see my ticket.

Also I love his enthusiasm, but Pete C high fiving and fist bumping the crowd beforehand didn’t seem very in keeping with the social distancing message.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    One thing I did notice on ifollow last night whenever they planned into the crowd there always seemed to be one person that had their mask just over their chin, not mouth and nose

Ha ha...I also noticed on iFollow a couple of people lowering their masks to advise the referee of a possible mistake he had just made...they did then replace them of course.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    Thought the whole thing was brilliantly managed by the club overall - entrance, exit and distancing spot on.

One annoyance though is of the 6 people closest to me:

• 1 had a visor, took it off when he sat down. Asked to put it on by a steward, then took it off again when the steward walked away

• 1 had their mask hanging from one ear

• 2 had their noses out

• 2 had them covering only their chin.

It’s only when you spend a period of time with other members of the public you realise how many Covidiots there are.

Was that 6 people who seemed to know each other out of interest? So maybe have a similar "mentality"?

Or more worrying was it just 6 total randoms all independently dreadfully misconstruing the sense and rules?

• 6 ransoms, just those immediately around me on all sides.

Just annoying when I’m struggling to watch the game through fogged up glasses and others couldn’t give a toss.

• I am invariably mortified when I disappoint you, Mr Middle, Sir. As always I'll try even harder to please you in future.

• @DevC said:
    I am invariably mortified when I disappoint you, Mr Middle, Sir. As always I'll try even harder to please you in future.

Track down if the test event was required or not. You know you want to.

• @PrinceOfCrowell You should report the lot of them to the club and they shouldn't be allowed back in.

• This is the first time in my life that I’ve ever been associated with ‘turn the music down’ but it was definitely a factor in people shouting and moving a little closer than they should to talk about things.

I didn’t see any hand sanitiser but had my own. One of the advantages of a stadium is most people have little reason to touch things.

Safety announcements a bit hesitant. Needs a more authoritative voice, reminding people of their obligations. Anyone who deals with the general public will not be surprised to find 10% are complete idiots with no attention span. My other half works for NHS England and reports that hospitals are being bombarded this morning by people phoning to book their Covid vaccine jabs ?.

Other than that, a great team effort from the staff at the club.

• @arnos_grove said:
    This is the first time in my life that I’ve ever been associated with ‘turn the music down’ but it was definitely a factor in people shouting and moving a little closer than they should to talk about things.

I didn’t see any hand sanitiser but had my own. One of the advantages of a stadium is most people have little reason to touch things.

Safety announcements a bit hesitant. Needs a more authoritative voice, reminding people of their obligations. Anyone who deals with the general public will not be surprised to find 10% are complete idiots with no attention span. My other half works for NHS England and reports that hospitals are being bombarded this morning by people phoning to book their Covid vaccine jabs ?
    Other than that, a great team effort from the staff at the club.

That last bit would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

• The speakers were crackling throughout the game as well. Hopefully they can sort that out

• Hats off to the club they seemed to handle last night very well. No doubt as it was a pilot there are lessons to be learned but overall they did a great job. Guy next to me took his mask off but was politely and quickly told by Steward To wear it at all times. By the way if anyone can come up with the perennial wearing a mask steams up your glasses problem please let the world know. I was very impressed by the floodlights thinking what an improvement they were on the previous ones. Then just before kickoff they turned them on full.! Fantastic.! The other feature that gave the ground the big club feel were the digital adverts running round the pitch perimeter. Strangely enough I find that sort of advertising a distraction when watching on TV. However seeing them live Gave the stadium the big time feel befitting a club in the championship

• I was in the away end crackling speakers were annoying, sound quality of the announcements was appalling. Mask wearing in block E was pretty good except one lad who thought that pulling his scarf up occasionally was ok. No paper towels in the loo was annoying, washing hands is pretty key, only cold water is inconvenient drying on the back of someone's coat is difficult if keeping 2m apart. Peters antics were embarrassing and ill advised. Entry you could have shown any QR code as no scanners in sight. Exit was poorly managed, especially the regular steward not wearing a mask pushing through to instruct us which way to go, especially as we have all been before and know the way to go home.

• @Mr67 I've just read about surgeons washing their glasses in soap and water to stop them steaming up. Got to be worth a shot! Although that doesn't solve the problem of the mask straps pressing the arms of your glasses into the back of your ear.

• @arnos_grove said:

Anyone who deals with the general public will not be surprised to find 10% are complete idiots with no attention span. My other half works for NHS England and reports that hospitals are being bombarded this morning by people phoning to book their Covid vaccine jabs ?.

I recall about ten years ago responding to someone telling me in appalling detail about a very unsafe sexual assignation she had been on with a complete stranger she met on the internet if she was worried about catching HIV...'I haven't heard anything about it on the news for a while...I think they've cured it...'

• Re glasses fogging up, apparently a plaster over the bridge of the nose at the top of the mask to secure it properly to your face reduces this. Not tested myself.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Mr67 I've just read about surgeons washing their glasses in soap and water to stop them steaming up. Got to be worth a shot! Although that doesn't solve the problem of the mask straps pressing the arms of your glasses into the back of your ear.

I tried hand sanitiser on the lenses and after a quick clean that worked a treat until it got very cold

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @Mr67 I've just read about surgeons washing their glasses in soap and water to stop them steaming up. Got to be worth a shot! Although that doesn't solve the problem of the mask straps pressing the arms of your glasses into the back of your ear.

I’ve tried the ear straps masks and find it impossible as my glasses fall off.

• @Fit2drop said:
    I was in the away end crackling speakers were annoying, sound quality of the announcements was appalling. Mask wearing in block E was pretty good except one lad who thought that pulling his scarf up occasionally was ok. No paper towels in the loo was annoying, washing hands is pretty key, only cold water is inconvenient drying on the back of someone's coat is difficult if keeping 2m apart. Peters antics were embarrassing and ill advised. Entry you could have shown any QR code as no scanners in sight. Exit was poorly managed, especially the regular steward not wearing a mask pushing through to instruct us which way to go, especially as we have all been before and know the way to go home.

in the Frank Adams you had to give your name and they ticked you off. Didn't especially look at the phone I was waving but I dare say if you didn't look confident at where you were going seat wise, they'd have soon smelt a rat if it wasn't you.

• I thought last night was managed really well, and congratulations should be given to all the WWFC staff and volunteers who got the game on.

The next piece of information I'd like to know is how they are going to let those STHs from 1001 to 2300 in.

I think approx 200 tickets are going to key sponsors and others.
    The next 1000 tickets will be going to the first 1000 who signed up, as the club advised in the Summer.

That leaves 800 spaces for 1300 people, if everyone wanted a ticket.

I would hope it would be on rotation rather than 1001 to 1800 get let in and the last 500 have to wait until we go to Tier 1.

I'd be quite happy to go to every other game or two out of three to allow those from 1800 to 2300 to get to games as well...

• @Commoner said:
    I thought last night was managed really well, and congratulations should be given to all the WWFC staff and volunteers who got the game on.

The next piece of information I'd like to know is how they are going to let those STHs from 1001 to 2300 in.

I think approx 200 tickets are going to key sponsors and others.
    The next 1000 tickets will be going to the first 1000 who signed up, as the club advised in the Summer.

That leaves 800 spaces for 1300 people, if everyone wanted a ticket.

I would hope it would be on rotation rather than 1001 to 1800 get let in and the last 500 have to wait until we go to Tier 1.

I'd be quite happy to go to every other game or two out of three to allow those from 1800 to 2300 to get to games as well...

The club were very clear that if tickets were limited, the first people to buy season tickets would be first in line.

They've ever so slightly moved away from that with the boxes/sponsors/hangers on side of things, but they can't now switch to a rotation as that is going against the reason so many people bought up immediately.

• If supporters are going to be continued to be let in and the capacity will be capped at approx. 1700 STH and 300 sponsors, would it make sense to have some sort of a ballot system to allow STH who bought a little later to get the odd game but still allow the first 1,000 STHs first dibs if they wanted to go?

• We must have a considerably number of STH’s who aren’t comfortable going to a game yet.

• Got a feeling I'm going to be one of the ticket holders between 2000 and 2300, as was a little late... ahh well, we'll just have to wait and see

• I'm dying to get back in (though not keen on being in a mask for two hours) but not keen on putting the health of others in Wendover Towers at risk...it's certainly a quandary. I'll be deciding on a match by match basis...assuming they still offer me a ticket after turning down the historic Stoke one!

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    If supporters are going to be continued to be let in and the capacity will be capped at approx. 1700 STH and 300 sponsors, would it make sense to have some sort of a ballot system to allow STH who bought a little later to get the odd game but still allow the first 1,000 STHs first dibs if they wanted to go?

Why 1,000?

Surely you either stick to the original terms which was the amount of available tickets goes to STHs in order of purchase, or you just make it a total ballot free for all.

1,000 is a number only relevant to yesterday's test environment. That number was never previously quoted in any club policy.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Got a feeling I'm going to be one of the ticket holders between 2000 and 2300, as was a little late... ahh well, we'll just have to wait and see

I suspect I will be in the same grouping & I bought 3 season tickets. TBH, if I don't get offered any seats by the middle of Jan, I will go for a total refund & give up. I was going to let the club keep the 2 adult tickets and only go for a refund on the third, (junior one), thinking it would be to the benefit of the club. Been a STH for 25+ years, usually one of the first to renew, but this year needed to add a third, so had to wait until the end to get the next seat so we would be together. If it is the same 1-2000 each time, I somehow feel a fissure will have developed that I personally would no longer have a desire to reconnect. Won't be the end of the world & maybe it's time to find new pastures?

• @Fit2drop said:
    I was in the away end crackling speakers were annoying, sound quality of the announcements was appalling. Mask wearing in block E was pretty good except one lad who thought that pulling his scarf up occasionally was ok. No paper towels in the loo was annoying, washing hands is pretty key, only cold water is inconvenient drying on the back of someone's coat is difficult if keeping 2m apart. Peters antics were embarrassing and ill advised. Entry you could have shown any QR code as no scanners in sight. Exit was poorly managed, especially the regular steward not wearing a mask pushing through to instruct us which way to go, especially as we have all been before and know the way to go home.

@Fit2drop, I too was in the away stand Block E, and also found the constant crackling of the speakers during the game annoying, as well as the distortion of the announcer. The sound system does not seem to have been set up correctly (unlike the glorious floodlights!).

Entering Gate 2, I was expecting a temperature check, and to have the code scanned, neither happened, just a quick look at the seat details in TicketCo on my phone.

I was close to the man who just had a scarf, mostly pulled down, and to a woman who had her mask pulled down. This was the first time I had worn a mask for a long period and did find it uncomfortable, but the requirement is for a good reason, people were shouting loudly. The nearest steward looked up at us for most of the game, but not on the lookout for mask deviants it seems.

There do seem to have been inconsistencies in the stewarding. I did hear the steward marshalling gate 3 say "track and trace" to everyone. Was he asking everyone to use the NHS app? Why was someone taking photos of people in the gate 3 queue?

All in all though, I thought the club did a really good job in getting the fans in at short notice. Well done Commercial Department, I know it was not a smooth ride for you. Well done also to Gordon Reilly and his stadium team, for hosting it well and ensuring it was incident free, as far as I could tell.

• It was literally printed in black and white that priority would be determined based on who bought first. It could not have been any clearer and people based their decision to purchase on that information.

I imagine that if we’ve sold around 2400 ST then pretty much everyone that wants to attend will be able to do so.

• The club did pretty well to gamble that selling around 2300-2400 season tickets as per last season was a good number to go with, as there was no indication at all about what numbers would be allowed in, or when.

We should count ourselves lucky not to be part of a bigger club that might have 10,000 or more season tickets!Although I suppose that's a simple ballot plain and simple.