Skip to content

Match day thread: Stoke

Comments

• Good game so far, I’d be frustrated if I was a Stoke fan. Akinfenwa on the hour?

• What must God think about Samuel diving all the time?

• I thought Macca would do alright. Defending very well but little end product. Wearing them down for the now obligatory good last ten mins?

• Hmm I thought it was some kind of 442 with Wheeler and Samuel up front, Fred left wing, Horgan right wing. Fred needs to come into the match more or will be subbed off soon. He is really struggling this season when he starts, sadly. Such a great one two between Horgan and Wheeler before that rasping shot.

• You guys will have a lot better view than me as im right away from the end we were attacking. But we've done well closing some of their crossing down and a few crosses have been a bit hairy.

We hit the post (i think!?) and Horgan had a nice drive. But usual situation...we need Bayo on soon.

• Was Kevin Bond this poor in the play-off semi?

• I'd have swapped Wheeler and Horgan - Wheeler's not winning much in the air and Horgan is too deep.

• That’s a leg-breaker. How’s the ref not sent him off?

• Shocking tackle.

• Horgan’s come to life.

• Wheeler’s revenge tackle on Cousins was a beautiful thing.

• edited December 2020

Stoke have done nothing in the final third here - and somehow we've done even less.

• Really lovely lovely move there.

• Shame about the end product from Horgan when you’ve got Bayo and Fred at the back post.

• horgan you had to.cross that!!!

• very poor...buy hey ho , let's go again

• I watched Powell stroll up his right wing with absolutely nobody going with him because Fred and JJ were both on the ground, and could see that entire move and goal coming a mile off.

• My commentary on the ref is making @glasshalffull look reserved and calm.

• @drcongo said:
    I watched Powell stroll up his right wing with absolutely nobody going with him because Fred and JJ were both on the ground, and could see that entire move and goal coming a mile off.

Same

• Shame as we were defending so.well until.then.

• Yep, not getting anything out of this. Really poor goal to concede as well.

• @drcongo said:
    I watched Powell stroll up his right wing with absolutely nobody going with him because Fred and JJ were both on the ground, and could see that entire move and goal coming a mile off.

Exactly this. We completely lost our composure for a few minutes and paid the price for it. Bloomfield and Jacobson both went flying beyond challenges they were never going to win and our shape fell apart.

• we just do not.look like scoring

• Worst performance since Swansea

• Perhaps understandable given the lack of a midfield.

• Just lack that final ball and spot of quality. A real gritty showing, well defended all game except one poor moment when JJ and Blooms were shown up.

We can find the space on the wings, and pockets for Horgan and McLeary all we want, but the crosses and passes into the box need to be better.

• That was frustrating ?

• The less said about that the better. Lack of midfield obviously a factor, but we had plenty of opportunities to do something in the final third and didn't - aimless cross after aimless cross.

• Huffed and puffed but no end product again, shame though one lapse in defending cost us one point

• Until the goal l thought we were still in it. Defence are really good but I'm not sure why we don't seem to be able to create more chances with the likes of Horgan, Wheeler and Fred on the pitch.