Skip to content

Man U or Marine?

Excited for tonight's FA Cup 3rd round draw but also with mixed feelings. Normally I'd be hoping for a trip to somewhere like The Emirates, Old Trafford or maybe the new White Hart lane, but given many, if not most, of us won't be able to go to whatever tie we get, who does everyone want to get? Televised game vs a PL giant or one of the remaining minnows (with all the possibility of doing a Peterborough that entails)? Just hoping it isn't Luton.

Comments

• It’s time for a win at Stockport.

• I hope we host Chorley.
    Then we can give them the Big Club experience.

• An away trip to Man Utd would at least be on TV but it would be the final kick in the guts if we got a top away draw and couldn't go.
    I'd bet Brentford away if I had to.

• It is going to be a boring tie at a club at our level, I think. Preston again, or someone like Bristol City.

• Do we really want a cup run this season? I know there are no replays, but the schedule is chock-a-block as it is.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Do we really want a cup run this season?

Yes.

Do we really want a cup run this season? I know there are no replays, but the schedule is chock-a-block as it is.

As with last season, I would swap it for league success, though I would love both.

• ...and I still want Man United or Arsenal away, crowds or no crowds.

Do we really want a cup run this season? I know there are no replays, but the schedule is chock-a-block as it is.

Sigh......

• Ps there should still be replays as well

PPS whilst I'm here, this thing they do now where you know what number your team is and they have teams and their numbers listed down the side is just appalling. Listen to it on the radio would be my advice

• To be fair to @chairboyscentral when all was said and done he was right about which Tranmere game was more important last season.

• Depends on whether you'd rather win the play offs or the FA Cup

• It's more exciting without replays. I don't think they'll be back. And @Shev, you'd honestly rather have a cup run than stay in the Championship? We could have both, yeah, but it's not the ideal season! I like the FA Cup, it's just not important compared to the league this season.

• The greatest Wycombe match of all time was an FA Cup replay

• Winning the FA Cup > staying in the Championship for me.

• I saw the majority of our games between the middle of 98/99 and the end of the 07/08 season. I must have seen great games and terrible games, heroic moments and disasters, but I struggle to remember any of the league games.

I can give you a detailed account of our 00/01 FA Cup run as if it was yesterday. Or the Hayes game the following season. Or winning at Swansea and Fulham on our league cup run. Those days and that glory are why we love football aren’t they?

• We'd only have to play 2-3 games in the FA Cup to have some semblance of a cup run. We went out of the League Cup in the first round.

If we get relegated this season, it won't be because of the additional burden caused by these matches.

• @Chris said:
    To be fair to @chairboyscentral when all was said and done he was right about which Tranmere game was more important last season.

He wasn't though, we could have recovered from a league defeat to Tranmere in any of our other 33 league games last season, which were all of equal importance.

The FA Cup defeat gave us no opportunity for redemption and it was a disaster to miss out on such a great opportunity to make the 3rd round.

• That's not an argument for keeping them. We need fewer games, not more. Sort out the distribution of gate receipts so it's weighted towards the lower-ranked club and I'm not sure there's an issue.

• @JohnBoy said:
    Winning the FA Cup > staying in the Championship for me.

Actually winning it, yes, but that's not going to happen.

It's more exciting without replays. I don't think they'll be back. And @Shev, you'd honestly rather have a cup run than stay in the Championship? We could have both, yeah, but it's not the ideal season! I like the FA Cup, it's just not important compared to the league this season.

I meant I would rather have league success, for sure. I would swap a cup run for better results in the league.

• For me the FA Cup games are always the matches I most look forward to (and fear) every season. That said, it won't be the same this season with smaller crowds and no replays. I very much hope that replays do come back. Some of my best Wycombe supporting memories are from FA Cup replays, most notably of course Wimbledon.

I'd love us to go on a good run this season, but if there is a season to get knocked out at our first hurdle, perhaps this is it.

• We had this debate last year, but in general the cup has meant less to each generation. I remember it being a big deal - my lack of enrhusiasm compared to the league comes from the fact so many clubs play weakened sides. It used to be a tournament where everyone tried their utmost. Now you get B teams and the winners coming from the same group of mega-clubs every time.

@JohnBoy said:

Getting to the FA Cup Semi-Final isn't going to happen either. Except that we did it in 2001, in a lower league.

Getting to the Championship isn't going to happen for Wycombe. Except we did that just 3 years after being in League Two.

• @JohnBoy said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@JohnBoy said:

Getting to the FA Cup Semi-Final isn't going to happen either. Except that we did it in 2001, in a lower league.

Getting to the Championship isn't going to happen for Wycombe. Except we did that just 3 years after being in League Two.

A run to the latter stages is doable, but the imbalance in the game has made it nigh-on impossible for a lower league team to win the thing.

• If they got rid of the League Cup, or made it Football League teams only, the FA Cup would mean a lot more.

• There is rarely a true giant killing any more. Wrexham-Arsenal was the real thing, but you don't really see full strength big clubs in the 3rd round any longer.

• Interesting that we've been in the third round 12 times and had 11 home draws

• @OxfordBlue said:
    If they got rid of the League Cup, or made it Football League teams only, the FA Cup would mean a lot more.

I think if they put the winners in the CL qualifiers, it would soon focus the mind!