Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• All about opinions @eric_plant !

His last game was the 5-0 drubbing at Blackburn.

He played the last 20 without Adeniran and Thompson, where we were largely on top and almost sneaked an improbable victory.

Perhaps compared to what we’ve come to expect of Adeniran, Gape & Thompson I thought his 2nd half was excellent. His first half was all at sea but then the whole team were first half.

I’d be interested to hear what your views are on a Plan B?

• Get Uche fit ASAP!!!!

• Agree with @Commoner that Samuel is probably our best alternative to Bayo. We look lost without a focal point and although he lacks Bayo’s physique, Samuel is still very effective at holding the ball up. A bit of pace alongside him would gives defences something to think about. It irritated me yesterday that Mcleary always seemed to show for the ball to feet instead of looking to run in behind. We very rarely managed to get Derby’s defenders running back facing their own goal.

thought Freeman was poor the first 4-5 games but I wouldn’t mind seeing him given another chance. He tends to be anonymous when we’re playing badly but now we’ve sorted out the midfield I think he could have a role to play. We were quite ragged on the ball yesterday and he might have helped in that situation.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I raise a glass to you & yours @Shev. Only another, (what appears to be), lifetime of sleepless nights to go mate. Curios to know, were you allowed a laptop in the delivery room?

We actually did a home birth. The Derby game is not the actual reason, but it didn't hurt that we got to see it as a bonus, with Nevan less than a day old. He assured me after that second half that Wycombe are the greatest club he has ever seen, and that Bloomfield's goal is the most beautiful of his lifetime too.

Thanks again to all the additional kind words from everyone too.

• @Glenactico @Commoner - sorry do not see Samuel as the best alternative. Runs around like headless chicken, not physical enough, falls over too much and not certain he does hold the ball up. Critically for a forward he doesn’t look like he will ever score. We have better alternatives.

• @davecz probably time to re-watch the first Fleetwood play-off game.

• @floyd- one game . In League 1 , 21 appearances and 1 goal .

• I’m glad the manager sees more in him than you do.

• @davecz said:
    @floyd- one game . In League 1 , 21 appearances and 1 goal .

If you can't see what Samuel brings to the team, specifically - exactly what we were missing yesterday, i'm not sure i can help you.

• edited November 2020

One of the most important players for the best team in England is a striker with three goals in his last 25 games.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    One of the most important players for the best team in England is a striker with three goals in his last 25 games.

I thought Bayo's recent scoring record was a bit better than that!

• @floyd - sorry clearly I’m missing something. Perhaps you can enlighten me what Samuel brings to the team because I cannot see it.

• @davecz said:
    @floyd - sorry clearly I’m missing something. Perhaps you can enlighten me what Samuel brings to the team because I cannot see it.

Just rewatch the three play off games.

Presuming you are meaning Liverpool, then it definitely helps having two "wingers" who are more like strikers who boot out 30+ a season in there too though!

• edited November 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Presuming you are meaning Liverpool, then it definitely helps having two "wingers" who are more like strikers who boot out 30+ a season in there too though!

Yeah, I just mean a striker can add plenty of value to a team without really scoring. Liverpool's new set-up is interesting though, effectively pressing with a front four. Not something we'd be able to replicate but maybe something we could take some of the principles from given our wealth of extremely hard-working attacking players.

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Yeah, I just mean a striker can add plenty of value to a team without really scoring. Liverpool's new set-up is interesting though, effectively pressing with a front four. Not something we'd be able to replicate but maybe something we could take some of the principles from given our wealth of extremely hard-working attacking players.

I think a lot of us thought Samuel would feature a bit more than he has. Especially after that Brentford pressing display.

If we can keep Bayo playing 3 1/2 games out of 4 though I dare say we'll do that!
    Especially as Uche's injury is one of these no specified return date jobs.

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I think a lot of us thought Samuel would feature a bit more than he has. Especially after that Brentford pressing display.

If we can keep Bayo playing 3 1/2 games out of 4 though I dare say we'll do that!
    Especially as Uche's injury is one of these no specified return date jobs.

I don't even think he needs to play that much. The extra subs mean we could try the 'job share' he and Samuel had last season without wasting a sub.

• @davecz said:
    @floyd - sorry clearly I’m missing something. Perhaps you can enlighten me what Samuel brings to the team because I cannot see it.

If I was marking him, I know I would be absolutely knackered before the end of the game and then potentially see Bayo coming on with 30 minutes to go. He also wins us numerous free kicks from which we can then load the box.

If he was a prolific goalscorer alongside his incredible workmrate and enthusiasm he certainly wouldn't be playing in the Championship!

However at the moment I would still generally start Bayo.

• @mooneyman - championship defenders too smart to be running about all over the place. We need Bayo to start as the results prove. We haven’t got the luxury of giving him 30 minute cameos. Samuel in my opinion is not effective at this level.

• Lovely to see Chelsea and Spurs are both managing to wear blue shorts in the same match.

• We wore blue shorts v Bolton last season, but the new ones are darker. I agree there seems to be some inconsistency, but there's nothing we can do about it.

• This was away v Oxford last season, although in fairness that's less of a clash than black and dark blue.

• Who would of thought that day when they got Bayo sent off we would be beating them in the play-off final. Lovely.

• @LX1 said:
    Who would of thought that day when they got Bayo sent off we would be beating them in the play-off final. Lovely.

I didn't.

I thought we'd go on and win the league!

• I was still thinking over that wonderful sequence of events in the final:

1. A freekick is given for a foul on Bayo.
    2. We sail it into the box.
    3. Huge shout for handball as Oxford break
    4. Long pass down our right.
    5. Grimmer arrives first
    6. Hospital pass to Allsop.
    7. Oxford player too busy throwing a strop.
    8. Allsop kicks it long.
    9. Fred beats the keeper to the ball.
    10. Gets clobbered.
    11. Penalty.
    12. JJ.
    13. Glory!

Ah memories. I hope there is a season DVD out at some point!

• @Shev said:
    I was still thinking over that wonderful sequence of events in the final:

1. A freekick is given for a foul on Bayo.
    2. We sail it into the box.
    3. Huge shout for handball as Oxford break
    4. Long pass down our right.
    5. Grimmer arrives first
    6. Hospital pass to Allsop.
    7. Oxford player too busy throwing a strop.
    8. Allsop kicks it long.
    9. Fred beats the keeper to the ball.
    10. Gets clobbered.
    11. Penalty.
    12. JJ.
    13. Glory!

Ah memories. I hope there is a season DVD out at some point!

You've missed the most ridiculous step out.
    Their defender inexplicably ducking a very very easy header!

• @Malone true that! Oxford fans must have nightmares about the whole period between their equalizer and our penalty, including their bloke passing instead of shooting with just Allsop to beat.

• And of course, all Oxford fans will have nightmares about Anthony Stewart forever.

• @Shev said:
    @Malone true that! Oxford fans must have nightmares about the whole period between their equalizer and our penalty, including their bloke passing instead of shooting with just Allsop to beat.

Watched the final back recently and still can't believe he tried to pass it.

• Beyond getting better players in and not using Samuel what would be your suggestions for Stoke @davecz ?