Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• Bloomfield runs about, looks for fouls and puts himself in harms way. Today he scored in a game we were woefully losing and ended up bruised and bloodied. If that's not what you want from your one club player I dont know what is...

• @Doober48 said:

@Last_Quarter said:
    It genuinely staggers me that any Wycombe fan can say that they're "no fan" of Bloomfield.

18 years of service.

Be staggered it's my opinion if you don't like it I'm not bothered

This needs that "oooh you're hard" meme from the Office.

• @Malone said:

Imagine if we'd had this schedule in the season we reached the league 2 playoffs.
    We'd have been ruined.

I.know we need the schedule we had in the season we reached the league one playoffs...and fast!! (Explosion in Peterborough!)

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Some decent saves today by Allsop kept us in the game long enough for us to get in amongst it. The two half time subs helped too.

Horgan is a real enigma to me. Looks world beating for 5 mins ever game. How do we get him more involved.

Mehmeti must have learned alot today again. Did ok without taking the fame by the scruff of the neck.

Agreed on all 3.
    Most people seem to think Horgan has been brilliant for us.
    But to me he looks like a hard worker who can dribble a bit. but without actually doing that much.
    As we're not much of an attacking force I will refrain from being totally harsh though.

• Nope it's just on here if you don't think one way everyone looks down their nose at you

• @Doober48 said:
    Nope it's just on here if you don't think one way everyone looks down their nose at you

I think it's the way Bloomfield has been written off for at least the last decade, yet still comes back strongly.
    No-one in our support would say he should be starting regularly. No-one.
    But he'll work like a menace when he does get near the pitch. And we're simply not going to afford to have a super quality bench.

• @Doober48 said:
    Nope it's just on here if you don't think one way everyone looks down their nose at you

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?

• I know this may be a slightly controversial statement but should the management team have found a solution to play without Bayo as an alternative way of playing.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:

Imagine if we'd had this schedule in the season we reached the league 2 playoffs.
    We'd have been ruined.

I.know we need the schedule we had in the season we reached the league one playoffs...and fast!! (Explosion in Peterborough!)

I hope our backroom team are doing some extensive massage and all sorts of magic on the Gapeson double act as we speak.

• We really looked unsure of the pattern of play in the first half. Things click when Bayo comes on partly because he wins so many balls, but also because everyone else knows how to set up around him. When he isn’t in the 11 we need more rehearsed patterns to get us into the final third of the pitch.

The likes of Horgan and Kashkett are dangerous around the box, but we need to find ways to get them the ball in the first place.

Second half was a major improvement, largely because Derby couldn’t fully clear the long balls to Bayo and we were able to gain possession from the knockdown. Although i thought even then we were misty pretty ineffectual. Crossing was consistently poor and one of the few moments of quality was Horgan’s work in the build up to the goal.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    It's just us suffering with injuries, muscle injuries in the PL are up 23% this season - fair to assume it's similar in the Champ.

Have to remember the opposition are generally faster, fitter and stronger, the shift our lot have to put in just to keep in games will be a factor.

True, although I suppose we force other teams to put in a shift against us as well.

Subtle use of the force, like it

• I know the MO will be to cross when Bayo is on, but I'd like to see McCleary and Horgan get into the box with the ball a bit more. The patterns of play point is an important one - changing approach quite significantly isn't an overnight job, even more so when it's not your default approach you're changing.

• @LX1 - is it Star Wars day? I must admit I thought ‘We’re doomed’ at half time....

• I imagine playing one system for so long then having to change just like that must be quite hard

• @Doober48 said:
    I imagine playing one system for so long then having to change just like that must be quite hard

Sounds like my sex life

• After the three play off games I'm surprised Samuel hasn't neen used more as the alternative centre forward.

• @Quarterman said:
    @LX1 - is it Star Wars day? I must admit I thought ‘We’re doomed’ at half time....

that's 'Dad's Army' BTVK

• @LX1 said:

@Doober48 said:
    I imagine playing one system for so long then having to change just like that must be quite hard

Sounds like my sex life

,?

• Did anyone else struggle to work out where Kashkett was playing? Too often he was out wide or dropping deep when I expected him to be in the box waiting to latch onto a through ball from Horgan, McCleary or Mehmeti.
    All credit to GA for changing the system at HT.

As an aside I'm watching Peterborough 1v2 Chorley, making my evening much better ?

• 1 defeat in 7....... after the start we had, im made up with that! Ainsworth will be giving them a good kick up the backside ready for Wednesday... under the light's with fan's i can't wait??

• I bet they're stoked for it

• One defeat in seven games in the Championship
    We’ve just drawn a League game at Derby County.
    It’s bloody amazing how far we have come.
    I’ll enjoy this season for what it is taking great pleasure from pinching a point away at some club I still see as giants compared to us. And for once we are playing them because we have excelled rather than they hitting hard times.
    OK more likely than not we’ll be relegated but what memories...

• Some people are going potty

• @DevC said:
    One defeat in seven games in the Championship
    We’ve just drawn a League game at Derby County.
    It’s bloody amazing how far we have come.
    I’ll enjoy this season for what it is taking great pleasure from pinching a point away at some club I still see as giants compared to us. And for once we are playing them because we have excelled rather than they hitting hard times.
    OK more likely than not we’ll be relegated but what memories...

A new low?

• edited November 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A goal boosts confidence given we didn't score for the previous 3 games beforehand. Let's use this confidence for the upcoming game against Stoke. COYB!

• @fame_46 a new high. bit alarmed about 'the equivalent of the SAS to a firefight'

Echo the sentiments towards Bloomfield...as another poster alluded to...what more do you want as a fan? Hero.

• Funny old times being disappointed to draw with Derby. But if we are honest too many players were not up to the standard they set for the previous six games. Losing Curtis was huge and not having Dom to replace him was hard. No disrespect to Alex Pattison but you can’t expect him to be match ready after such a long break. Daryl Horgan was frustrating as he is so capable but so frustrating sometimes when he holds the ball up too long. But credit to Derby I guess. Clarke was immense for them. They swallowed up Mehmeti in the midfield. They pressured our left knowing JJ gets exposed.
    Let’s hope those heeling hands get to work now as we need players back and soon.

• Lovely game. My first son (second child) was born yesterday, I got him in my arms for the second half, and we turned it around. No such thing as coincidences and all that...

Rocky's first half save was sublime. He was moving the other way and had to readjust and throw himself in the opposite direction. Just superb.

Bloomfield scoring was wonderful - any joy that man experiences in a Wycombe shirt just makes the smile wider for us all. Just gutted that he took that awful blow near the end.

We are now on a run of opposition fans (apart from Watford, as we tore them apart) mostly saying "Wycombe are the worst Championship club ever - how did we not win against such a terrible side?" I am loving it! I can't shake the belief that we are going to have at least three teams looking up at us at the end of the season, shaking their heads as to how they were relegated instead of such a "terrible side".

• Congats @Shev .
    Make sure the son is at hand by the screen for the next game. We might need his influence!