Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• Stop calling injured players 'sick note'; they'll be more frustrated than anyone and only want to play.

• I think we were lucky to get the point after a really poor first half , the second half was a lot better but we need to learn to play without the big man. I'm no fan of Bloomfield but fair play to the man for his goal

• There's always Knight in midfield as an option allowing Taffazoli for a bit of extra height at the back, probably won't want to disrupt the defense but there are better options in the squad than we've had for a while.

• Some Championship keeping from Allsop kept us in the game.

That said, the penalty shout gets given if it is any other player in the Championship except Akinfenwa, and the McCleary shot bounces down inside the goal if it is just 1mm lower as the top of the football must hit the curved part of the crossbar.

At the beginning of the season we would have said that was an excellent point and we may well look back on it at the season's end and think the same.

• It genuinely staggers me that any Wycombe fan can say that they're "no fan" of Bloomfield.

18 years of service.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Getting more and more frustrated with Uche. Has he got a history of being a sick note?

55 appearances in 2 seasons at Hearts. So that's fairly average I suppose but hard to tell if that's injuries keeping it to that level or battling to get into the lineup.

Averaged exactly 40 appearances over the 3 seasons prior for English teams.

So it doesn't look "that" risky as such.

But without doubt it's one of the most underwhelming ever starts to a Wanderers career.

Wiki has him as having made 4 appearances for us so far. That surprises me. I only remember 2. And fleeting ones at that.

• edited November 2020

@StrongestTeam said:
    There's always Knight in midfield as an option allowing Taffazoli for a bit of extra height at the back, probably won't want to disrupt the defense but there are better options in the squad than we've had for a while.

Need Tafazolli fit first! Wheeler is always an option in midfield, even McCarthy if we get particularly short.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Decent point all things considered, still in touch with the sides above, but we need a serious rethink in terms of approach after that shitshow of a first half.

Couldn’t watch any of the game so going by what I’ve heard. I wonder whether games like this one are the opportunity to try and develop a Plan B that works. Clearly it didn’t - although losing our undoubted star of the season early on can’t have helped, but at least it allowed us to revert to Plan A second half.

• @davecz said:
    ''We need to find a

I’ve worked it out. You have that line stored for cut & paste don’t you?

• The issue of playing without Bayo has been around for sometime. Cannot understand why we haven't found another way to play succesfully without him. The answer is not Samuel.

@StrongestTeam said:
    There's always Knight in midfield as an option allowing Taffazoli for a bit of extra height at the back, probably won't want to disrupt the defense but there are better options in the squad than we've had for a while.

Need Tafazolli fit first! Wheeler is always an option in midfield, even McCarthy if we get particularly short.

I think I’d rather have McCarthy at centre back and Knight in midfield.

• Sure I remember some Hearts fans accusing him of being a sicknote?

• Ainsworth's shoes look at bit more M&S than G'n'R

• A massive revival in second half fortunes. Had a link to Rams TV too and they were very complimentary about our 2nd half performance. If we can feed Horgan & McCleary more and get Fred more involved, the Plan B may come to fruition.

Bayo. What can you say? Amazing. And good old Bloomers, who was very effective even before his goal.

• I think Ikpeazu was obviously intended as the Beast succession plan, it’s not his fault if he gets injured but it would be a major blow if he turns out to be the new Faulconbridge from an availability perspective.

@StrongestTeam said:

Easy to forget him and Uche seems to take the brunt of the "where is he?" comments.
    But Tafa has had a dreadful start too.

• edited November 2020

@Chris said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Wouldn't have either of them there ideally, last resort stuff. Knight played midfield in L1, but this is a very different proposition. Would rather go through the 'by trade' midfielders first.

Stop calling injured players 'sick note'; they'll be more frustrated than anyone and only want to play.

How about calling games 'must win'?

• @davecz said:
    The issue of playing without Bayo has been around for sometime. Cannot understand why we haven't found another way to play succesfully without him. The answer is not Samuel.

This isn't just your normal situation of "our target man/goalscorer/fast player needs to be replaced.
    This is an absolutely impossible to mirror absolute guru.
    There's no surprise it's quite an ask!

• edited November 2020

I do wonder if maybe there's extra pressure to get players back quicker this season with the ridiculous schedule - I guess that must get into the subconscience of the people making those decisions.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Getting more and more frustrated with Uche. Has he got a history of being a sick note?

What was your view on Darius the season he hardly played?. Doubt the lad is deliberately avoiding his chance in the Championship.

@Chris said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Wouldn't have either of them there ideally, last resort stuff. Knight played midfield in L1, but this is a very different proposition. Would rather go through the 'by trade' midfielders first.

None of our 'by trade' midfielders had played in the Championship before this season. Would be a brave decision to move Knight from centre back but he'd be ok in midfield I reckon.
    Injuries are becoming a worry aren't they? Is the tight schedule catching up with us?

• @Last_Quarter Totally agree. I'm not sure how any Wycombe fan cannot be a massive fan of Bloomfield. Quite incredible what he's given and continues to give to this club.

Even aside from the goal, I thought he did well when he came on. We needed him aswell as we desperately needed some experience in there.

• @davecz said:
    The issue of playing without Bayo has been around for sometime. Cannot understand why we haven't found another way to play succesfully without him. The answer is not Samuel.

This isn't just your normal situation of "our target man/goalscorer/fast player needs to be replaced.
    This is an absolutely impossible to mirror absolute guru.
    There's no surprise it's quite an ask!> @chairboyscentral said:

I do wonder if maybe there's extra pressure to get players back quicker this season with the ridiculous schedule - I guess that must get into the subconscience of the people making those decisions.

Imagine if we'd had this schedule in the season we reached the league 2 playoffs.
    We'd have been ruined.

• It's just us suffering with injuries, muscle injuries in the PL are up 23% this season - fair to assume it's similar in the Champ.

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2020

The 'tight schedule' is our only enemy this season. As Lando once said 'Han will have that shield down. We just need to give him more time'

• Some decent saves today by Allsop kept us in the game long enough for us to get in amongst it. The two half time subs helped too.

Horgan is a real enigma to me. Looks world beating for 5 mins ever game. How do we get him more involved.

Mehmeti must have learned alot today again. Did ok without taking the fame by the scruff of the neck.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    It genuinely staggers me that any Wycombe fan can say that they're "no fan" of Bloomfield.

18 years of service.

Be staggered it's my opinion if you don't like it I'm not bothered

It's just us suffering with injuries, muscle injuries in the PL are up 23% this season - fair to assume it's similar in the Champ.

Have to remember the opposition are generally faster, fitter and stronger, the shift our lot have to put in just to keep in games will be a factor.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    It's just us suffering with injuries, muscle injuries in the PL are up 23% this season - fair to assume it's similar in the Champ.

Have to remember the opposition are generally faster, fitter and stronger, the shift our lot have to put in just to keep in games will be a factor.

True, although I suppose we force other teams to put in a shift against us as well.