Skip to content

Leeds match

So who is going to brave the weather and watch Wycombe take on Leeds in a nothing match rather than watch England vs Spain at home or down the pub in another nothing match?

I have bought tickets for the family and we will be cheering on the Blues, but will not berate anyone who chooses otherwise.

Just interested.

Comments

• No chance. Mid-season friendlies are gash™.

The only way I would ever watch another friendly would be if it were a testimonial or some other kind of fundraiser for someone connected with the club.

And let's face it, we're not likely to see another testimonial at this club - GA being eligible in 2020 if he sticks out his contract, I guess.

Sensible gesture by GA to keep fitness levels up though I guess, and hopefully give some fringe players some game time. Maybe there's even the ulterior motive to check out some potential loanees.

So I applaud anyone who goes, but not for me.

• Not for me either. She whom must be obeyed has already decreed that we have a commitment elsewhere for dinner. There are some battles worth fighting, this one does not come under that header I'm afraid. I think the brownie points are best saved for an away day. Good luck to those that do attend though.

• Friendlies are gash, pure and simple. Wild horses would not drag me to this, and watching England....just about as boring.

• The prospect of traveling the 50miles from home round the m25 on a Friday evening, means I'm out.

• Frankly wouldnt bother with a friendly if it was played in the field beyond my back garden.

My dilemna is about an upcoming league game. yeovil in two weeks time. Its about a 200 mile round trip for me, not the easiest drive in places on what is likely to be a dark wet night. No time for anything else, it would literally be fast drive after work, rush to the ground, watch game, back to car, long drive home getting home I guess around midnight. There is unlikely on a tuesday night in Somerset to be much of a crowd or atmosphere there. Perhaps I have been unlucky but on the few games I have seen this season, we do seem to have switched to a more hoofball style and given Yeovils style, suspect the ball wont touch grass too often. I have two five hundred mile + personal round trips to come shortly afterwards and my car CD has bust. Frankly it is not a particularly enticing prospect. On the other hand I dont get to see many games, circumstances are conspiring against me this season (BR postponement, family issue negating London trip to take in Wimbledon, likely to be no Christmas trip to the SE either). If I dont see this one, it might be a while. So what do you think, should I stay or should i go now?

• Go to the game. We might not be the most exciting side at the moment, and there's no one player like Beavon that really stands out, but it's Wycombe! And the likes of Ingram, Jombati, Pierre, Harriman and Thompson will always be worth watching.

• @DevC you do know Wycombe are are at Bristol rovers the following Tuesday?!

• Wifes birthday. That will be a no.

• Quite honestly @DevC I'm not sure you'll ever be able to justify going to a game ever again if you don't go to Yeovil. Sounds like all your assumptions (and there are many as always) are leading you towards not going.

If our style of play is steering you towards not going that's not going to change anytime soon. That style has worked pretty well away from home.
    If you know the weather this far out please let the Met Office know as they can't tell me with any certainty what the weather will be like tonight, let alone two weeks time.
    Surely most supporters do little else other than the match. Those going on the coach have little option and they will be travelling far slower than you.
    And as for your broken CD player you've got two weeks to either get it fixed or learn some songs to sing to yourself.

I don't think you have any excuse other than you can't be bothered to go. Nothing wrong with that decision but at least be honest about it.

• Apologies if I am missing something glaring here...but why the Friday (the 13th) and not the Saturday we have free because of the County postponement? I would have thought you'd have attacted more people when they have been denied their usual saturday fix?

• Blimey Righty, you don't get tongue in cheek do you.

No I dont know whether it will be raining in two weeks time, though given my knowledge of the Westcountry once the autumn/winter rains start and they have now, there is a pretty good chance. The CD player is not a major issue (although as it happens finding someone to fix it is at the moment).

If I travel a longish difference to football, I like to do more with the trip. If i go to Exeter, I might have lunch by the cathedral, go to the game, have an evening pizza on the Waterfront , maybe take in a band and head home late. York I will undoubtedly make a weekend of it and have a gander at that magnificent city, Newport I might have an early lunch in Cardiff bay, spend as little time in Newport itself as possible but stay over and maybe spend Sunday walking the Wye Valley etc etc. It makes the long drive feel more worth it. Yeovil on a Satruday (cant remember the last one of them) presents its challenges, Yeovil on a Tuesday no opportunity at all. Others may choose to travel 200 miles, go straight to the local pub have a few beers watch game and go home without being 100% sure which town /city they were in apart from the fact that apparently its a sh*thole- good on them, each to their own but that doesnt really float my boat.

100 miles on a Tuesday night is right on the edge of the range I would contemplate for a standard game, especially one where I am not expecting a huge amount of atmosphere or good football. I will probably go, but in truth more out of a feeling of duty than excitement. If i choose not to, you are absolutely right, unless its down to health or mechanical breakdown, it will be because on balance I couldnt be arsed.

• There are some cracking pubs that do good food in Somerset. Do some research and pick a good one. Giving you more to look forward then just the three points.

• what about millwall and luton

• Living in Somerset i'll put up the decent pubs in Yeovil in a few days, problem is the ground is well out of town so there isn't much choice.

• http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/14024318.Evans_to_bring_strongest_squad_to_Adams_Park/

The Ainsworth comment about needing the money from the game is perhaps not surprising given the state of our finances, but I wonder how much money we'd actually make out of it, given the timing of the match?

I would expect that a good few LUFC London exiles might make the trip, but it being on a Friday night and clashing with an Ingerlund game (however meaningless) really doesn't seem to be the right move to try and attract the biggest gate.

I've heard that the JPT games often lose money because no-one's interested - OK we don't play Leeds every day, but they're not a glamour club for the neutral, and as someone else already said, it wasn't THAT long ago we were playing them in the league.

• If we get over 1200 I'll be amazed

• I don't know what our break even attendance figure for home games is these days, but i'd be amazed if we reached it on Friday.

• Cant be that high surely? Unless you have to pay for police (surely not many for a friendly) what are the incremental costs? Electricity for the lights and ground - few hundred quid? Turnstile operators, ticket desk, stewards, people to work behind the bar and food outlets - say 40 people * 5 hours * 10 - a couple of grand. Cant think of much else? Am I missing something?

• Over 2000 tickets sold yesterday so I'd say we've broken even.

• Let's just enjoy the football.

• I assumed Ainsworth was talking about pure cash in to the club rather than profit from the game. Everyone on Friday will have to pay for a ticket and I would venture that any number above about a 1,000 would be more than pay cash on a normal league match day. Actually making a profit on the match might not matter too much but the money coming in might pay a few suppliers.

The lack of Saturday football at Adams Park in recent weeks has been amazing and is a route towards financial problems for a lower league club, Surely the Football League can space out games better.

• Speaking of which. Anyone know why the FL has switched to this 2 home then 2 away system this season? Played havoc with my inner football diary and as has been noted, 1 or 2 postponments in the wrong order and a lower league club can suffer near catastrophic consequences for their cashflow.

• The financial consequences are not insignificant but I think there are a number of different factors at play not all of which are within the gift of the Football League. As anybody who has ever put together a fixture list will know, it is simply impossible to schedule alternate home and always for a whole season. Add in an FA cup weekend where the home/away decision is randomly determined, and UEFA/FIFA international weekends, where there is a choice of a postponement where a club considers it desirable (its not mandatory) and its far from easy. I do think however that the concession for clubs due to international call-ups should be limited arguably just to the top two divisions, and maybe lower division sides with players from the home nations. This may stretch playing resources, but if clubs can't cope then they shouldn't employ foreign players.

• @Baldric said:
    The financial consequences are not insignificant but I think there are a number of different factors at play not all of which are within the gift of the Football League. As anybody who has ever put together a fixture list will know, it is simply impossible to schedule alternate home and always for a whole season. Add in an FA cup weekend where the home/away decision is randomly determined, and UEFA/FIFA international weekends, where there is a choice of a postponement where a club considers it desirable (its not mandatory) and its far from easy. I do think however that the concession for clubs due to international call-ups should be limited arguably just to the top two divisions, and maybe lower division sides with players from the home nations. This may stretch playing resources, but if clubs can't cope then they shouldn't employ foreign players.

Hit the nail on the head. "Don't employ to many foreign internationals", only leeway is UK and Northern/Republic of Ireland and only applies to Prem/Championship leagues. If International plays in the lower league tuff.

• fair enough. I guess we better sack Aaron Pierre immediately. And if he and a couple of others (lets say Ingram and hayes) found through their grandmothers that they were eligible for Gibraltar and Faroe Islands and wanted to play, well thats our tough luck really. Or then again, we could just live with very occasional postponements.

• I'm probably just jealous because I don't know how to do it but, @Ciderk1d, why do you have to reproduce great chunks of text from previous posts?! Just say @Right_in_the_Middle (or whoever) - totally agree...... Maybe justified if you're commenting on something posted a day or two earlier.

Sorry mate - not like me to be critical. I think it IS a jealousy thing

• @micra, creature of habit, but will take your point on board.

Promise.

• Just wish I was more computer literate!

• @Baldric still don't see why there is a definite shift from alternate home then away games. I know that it can't be an exact science, but the FL managed to date with that general template to date?

• edited November 2015

Thought I had already asked this question. Will the Leeds match be available via the Player ?

Answering my own query, Yes, the Leeds Match will be available on the Player.