Skip to content

Match day thread: Derby

Comments

• Coyb!!!!!!!!!!

• Very nervous!!!

• edited November 2020
  • When John Gregory joined, ‘the Derby way’ was talked about as some kind of utopia showing us how a football club should be run. We could only dream of running our club in as professional and proud a way as them.

Today we visit Derby ahead of them in the second tier.

Believe!

• Massive game today come on you blues.

• No treasuring points today, this is a must-win.

• And here from 40:50 on the Totally Football League Show

• Today is a combination of things I hate,

A game we probably should win
    Playing a team with a new manager
    The new manager bringing significant media attention.

• Seems to be a few putting extra pressure on themselves by marking today as a game should win.
    There are no must win games in November and our team now seems competitive in every match. Would be lovely to win today but like @floyd I see today as more of a banana skin than anything else.
    The first goal is so vital today.

• @floyd said:
    Today is a combination of things I hate,

A game we probably should win
    Playing a team with a new manager
    The new manager bringing significant media attention.

First two points very much so.
    Third point can only work against them you'd feel. Built up a bit too much

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2020

Relax floyd.
    Game we probably should win? Market suggests we have a 20% chance of winning.
    Numerous studies have shown a team with a new manager shows no improvement on average.

• Excitement and dread...its a thin line isnt it? I want a win a) for the team because it will lift us again and b) because its Direby. (Irritating Shrek just a bonus...)

• Yeah in fairness that "should win" should definitely be watered down to "have one of our best chances of winning" so far this season.

• Personally I would be more than happy with a draw. This is much more of a ‘must win’ for Derby and I actually think a point here will be a pretty good result.

At this stage I think we just need to keep the scoreboard ticking over. We can start taking risks and slogging nearer the end of the innings

• I’ve heard Wayne Rooney speak and I’m struggling to imagine that he’s any good as a motivator, or a tactical genius.

• Tend to agree with @bookertease. We need to try and keep Derby below us, so a draw is decent in that respect.

If they really are shambolic, then yes, we need to take advantage of that and go for all 3 points. I suspect however, they'll be very up for this. Considering the position they're in, it's a huge match. There's no doubt they'll be looking for a win today.

• @drcongo said:
    I’ve heard Wayne Rooney speak and I’m struggling to imagine that he’s any good as a motivator, or a tactical genius.

When the below is the sort of benchmark for motivation, Rooney can probably fit in quite well!

• Tbf, the young/new players in the England squad speak incredibly highly of Kane as a motivator and in terms of how he helps them settle in.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Tbf, the young/new players in the England squad speak incredibly highly of Kane as a motivator and in terms of how he helps them settle in.

All of them?

• edited November 2020

Plenty of them, I'll have to find the interview.

I think a player can be a good motivator in other ways if they're a crap speaker anyway.

• Also, I don't see the issue with calling today a must-win. We need to keep pace with the teams above us. If Derby play as poorly as they did at Middlesbrough and in most of the games before that, a point will be disappointing.

• Delle Ali looks dangerously close to smirking

• While their defence looked pretty shambolic by league standards, they created a ton of chances, too. I'll take a dodgy penalty (for us this time) and a 1-0.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Also, I don't see the issue with calling today a must-win. We need to keep pace with the teams above us. If Derby play as poorly as they did at Middlesbrough and in most of the games before that, a point will be disappointing.

I do agree. While it's not must win in terms of us only being 14 games in, the context of the game makes it must win.

In a different way to last Tuesday where the way the game panned out made it feel like it had to be won.
    Win today though and hopefully other results go our way and we join a gang on 12 points and that much close to bringing more back to us.

• edited November 2020

@LX1 said:
    Delle Ali looks dangerously close to smirking

It's a tough gig doing that sort of speech.
    I used to play in a team as captain. The manager would give some waffle. The assistant manager would give some chat.
    Then i'd have to.

And by the time it got to me there really wasn't much else to say.

• edited November 2020

@HCblue said:
    While their defence looked pretty shambolic by league standards, they created a ton of chances, too. I'll take a dodgy penalty (for us this time) and a 1-0.

They only had ten shots, only one of which was a decent chance. In terms of creativity they're bottom of the league by a fair distance - they make us look creative! Five goals all season, four of them from set-pieces - which is among the highest in the league, but they've been toothless from open play pretty much all season.

But who knows, maybe Wazza will wave a magic wand and turn them into world-beaters overnight...

• @Malone said:
    Yeah in fairness that "should win" should definitely be watered down to "have one of our best chances of winning" so far this season.

This is true. Come on Wycombe!

• I'm more nervous about ifollow not working for an away game. Had to get a crate of cider in to cope

• @LX1 said:
    I'm more nervous about ifollow not working for an away game. Had to get a crate of cider in to cope

Especially for one everyone has to put a £10 in. Feels a while since we've had to pay for one as a STH.

• On another note did anyone else clock on WWFC twitter that they'd put a line about how Wycombe get the full proceeds?

Originally I'm sure the club got £8 from the £10 fee. Has that now changed to the full amount? Even better if so.