Skip to content

James Clark signs

Comments

• Left or right sided, do you know?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Left or right sided, do you know?

Trying to find out some more on him, but the story says he can play either side.

• Last paragraph suggests he might fit in well.....

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/03/22/teenage-kicks--james-clark

Start in B team set up but if he does well and JJ got an injury who knows.

• edited November 2020

From @chelseayouth on Twitter, experts on their academy and youth teams:

"Versatile full back/wing back, right sided but can play off the left if needed, effort and commitment never in doubt but work to do in other areas (was a latecomer to the academy game). Be interesting to see if he impacts the first team as he's not played close to that level yet.

And that's not a knock on him, but he wasn't really an U18 regular and didn't play U23s for us, so to make any sort of leap to Wycombe's level is a projection. Would like to see it because he's a good kid but there's work to be done if so."

• We don't really do signing the finished article, good luck to him.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    We don't really do signing the finished article, good luck to him.

McCleary, Horgan, Ikpeazu, Bayo, Parker, Stockdale, McCarthy, Tafazoli, Jacobson, Grimmer & Onyedimna I would argue were pretty much the finished articles I would have thought? 1 or 2 needed a few finishing touches and all would have needed to be Wycomised, but on the whole . . .

• Jamie Mascoll didn’t make it so management must have spotted something special in this lad.

• Public school educated, according to that Chelsea interview. Our own Patrick Bamford?

• If he works half as hard as Bamford then we could be in for a treat

• As was Frank Lampard. 10 GCSE’s inc Latin. Went to Forest School in Essex, founder members of the FA in 1863.

• I noticed in one picture he’s holding a > @MindlessDrugHoover said:

Left or right sided, do you know?

The interview refers to a private school rather than public but I’m not sure what the distinction is. I went to Maidstone Grammar School. When I mentioned later in life that I’d been to a public school, the response tended to be along the lines of “Ooh, get you, is your dad filthy rich?”. The fact was that it was only designated as a public school on account of the headmaster being a member of the Headmasters’ Conference. I had to pass the 11 plus and did so in summer 1949, joining the grammar school a few weeks before my 11th birthday.

One indication of his positional preference in the various bits and bobs about James Clarke that I tracked down was a picture of him brandishing a No 2 shirt.

• The first line of that post is a relic of my original never completed message many hours ago. Distractions, distractions...

• Clarke without an ‘e’.

• Has this lad even made the bench yet? Forgot we signed him tbh.