Skip to content

Match day thread: Huddersfield

Comments

• Given that David Wheeler started against Forest I’d have thought that’s exactly the sort of thing you’re likely to hear.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@floyd said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    We are in danger of breaking Bayo for good, an alternative system must be an imperative.

I think Bayo knows his own body, and is trusted by the coaching staff not to let this happen.

Things you won’t here at the training ground part1:
    “sorry Gaffer not really up for it today”
    “ok Bayo no problem we’ve got plenty of alternatives up top knocking on the door”

I think its been pretty well documented that that is exactly how it works but without the comment about having plenty of alternatives.

• Weird how Huddersfield were allowed to wear purple shorts last night yet we can't wear blue v black. We'll be in yellow on Saturday presumably.

• Against Derby? Surely yellow and white is more or a clash than blue and white?

• The shorts are the problem - Derby's are black and they shouldn't really be made to change them as the home team.

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2020

in the 1978 World Cup France wore the green and white stripes of local side 'Club Atletico Kimberley' against Hungary as both sides had turned up with just their white change kits!

• edited November 2020

White and yellow isn't a clash anyway. Here's an idea of how it might look featuring our man Daryl!

• @LX1 said:
    in the 1978 World Cup France wore the green and white stripes of local side 'Club Atletico Kimberley' against Hungary as both sides had turned up with just their white change kits!

Just looked that up and it's actually not a bad combo

• and in keeping with yellow and black..Argentina wore Malmo's kit against W Germany in 58

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/international/tournaments/fifa-world-cup/1958/1958-group-1.html

• edited November 2020

@chairboyscentral said:
    I think there's a greater respect among managers at this level for elements of the game like disrupting opponents and stopping them doing what they do. Doesn't seem to be as many chips on shoulders like in the lower leagues.

I was having just this conversation with my Wimbledon-supporting friend at work today. In a conversation about Steve Evans being at Gillingham, I mentioned how refreshingly unantagonistic games had tended to be on the whole and how many fewer "You know what you're going to get"-style comments there had been post-match. Last night's manager's comments were a case in point. They did indeed clearly know what they were likely to get and had planned accordingly but there was no implied suggestion that they should not have had to know that it was coming nor to prepare for it. As if there might actually be more than one legitimate way to plan to play a game of football and that it might be legitimate to tailor your plan according to your available resources.

It's all a bit more grown-up, isn't it?

• The managers are one thing, but the fans are the same. I did see a "would not want to watch Wycombe every week" bingo answer on the Huddersfield forum, but based on last night, it is hard to disagree for once!

• But @Shev Huddersfield were appalling. The number of sloppy passes we cut out had me believing with the dodgy keeper we could have won that!

• edited November 2020

@Shev said:
    The managers are one thing, but the fans are the same. I did see a "would not want to watch Wycombe every week" bingo answer on the Huddersfield forum, but based on last night, it is hard to disagree for once!

I did see a 'No disrespect' tweet from a Birmingham fan that then, of course, went on to disrespect us and Luton (they attract the same snobbery, even a Blackburn player was saying how they should be beating teams like them). It's great though and Ainsworth will love it.

• @Wendoverman said:
    But @Shev Huddersfield were appalling. The number of sloppy passes we cut out had me believing with the dodgy keeper we could have won that!

To be fair, they thought Huddersfield were poor too. I love watching us every week usually, but I found that to be a game only a mother could love.

• So Derby are 3-0 down to Middlesbrough, who before tonight had scored fewer goals than anyone apart from the bottom three. No sitting back on Saturday, there's three points there to be won - and hopefully they still haven't appointed their new manager by then.

• Would be nice if Swansea and Cardiff would help us out a bit.

• Cov have just scored

• Shame Cov are winning.
    The Derby game is a really important one even this early in the season.
    A win and we can potentially drag a whole host of teams closer to us and leave Derby stranded.

A loss and...
    well let's hope we can score!

• At least Cov have Norwich on Saturday

• Plus we're finnaly going to beat them this time

• Middlesbrough just 37 per cent possession in beating Derby 3-0 tonight. Go get ‘em Gareth!!

• Just watched the highlights and Derby are an absolute state

• As long as Rooney is player-manager-captain-tea lady we can get a result.

• They've got four co-interim managers and Shteve McClaren as technical director, a mess

• @chairboyscentral we are also going to beat Luton at home for the first time ever.

• It puts a bit more pressure on the game with Derby, knowing they are there for the taking but struggling to score. So vital to get the three points!

• Not sure how Derby are odds on to win, but ok

• Interesting that Curtis Anderson has been recalled from his loan at Walton Casuals. Maybe Stockdale is out for the long term - or maybe Cameron Yates is also injured.

• Anyone else think the ref only added on 6 minutes at the end as an act of mercy toward those watching?

• Have to say I was surprised by just 6 minutes given all the injuries, plus a fair few subs. You might well be right - it was a mercy for us all, players and viewers alike.