Skip to content

Wycombe Redfords

Comments

• @arnos_grove said:
    It did indeed. Now houses isn’t it? Despite travelling to see Wycombe now, I’ve not been up there in years.

Remember catching a bus out of town once towards Holmer Green and the driver flogging it as hard as he could to get past RGS before kicking out time. As we approached, they came flying out of the school. The double decker must have been doing 40+ with the driving muttering ‘not fucking likely’ as he sped past the waiting kids’.

That’d be front page of the BFP now, accompanied by a pic of parent sporting an angry face.

Ha, not surprised, yes I think they have bulldozed it, have been past the turning at terriers crossroads or whatever it's called every so often but haven't been to see the old place in over 20 years.

• It's all houses now, known as Kingshill Grange, gone up market since they flattened the old school.

• Where did Turner Sports used to play? They were the works team of Ernest Turner Ltd. Played there once as a schoolboy and remember it as nice flat well grassed pitch with good facilities.

• edited November 2020

I am coming to the realisation that @ChasHarps has used his time productively during lockdown (1) and built a time-machine to cheat the ban on fans watching live football by travelling back in time to watch Wycombe Wanderers (and occasionally other Wycombe based teams) matches from years ago.

Which thinking about it is exactly what you should do with a time machine

• I was going to say you could use it to tell Doherty not to make that pass or tell Holloway to shoot, but is any change really going to end up with anything better than Wycombe being in the Championship right now?

• > @bookertease said:

I am coming to the realisation that @ChasHarps has used his time productively during lockdown (1) and built a time-machine to cheat the ban on fans watching live football by travelling back in time to watch Wycombe Wanderers (and occasionally other Wycombe based teams) matches from years ago.

Which thinking about it is exactly what you should do with a time machine

Some of us are key workers, no lockdown for us.

• Turner Sports played on a very well appointed ground at the very top of Totteridge Hill opposite the green there Both their football and cricket teams played there and a lot of ex-Wycombe players joined them after their career at Loakes Park Had finished. Saw a couple of games up there late 60s early 70s when we Weren’t playing. A nice easy 15 minute walk from where I was living.The site is now occupied buy some very nice houses that I wish I could afford.

• Ernest Turner made sure that both his cricket and football teams had players of good standard. The cricket team had an ex Professional, Reg Dare of Hampshire who looked after the ground and was a very good spin bowler. He played 20 times for Bucks between 1958 and 1963.

• Talking of Wellsbourne, it’s an interesting thought that the replacement ground for Loakes Park came close to being just along narrow lanes from there - on the way towards Cryers Hill. Arguably just about the most inaccessible spot you could find in the HW area.
    Had the ground been placed there, it feels unlikely that even league football could have been sustained, let alone Championship.

• @ChasHarps said:
    When playing Junior football at the recreation ground there, the older Chaps used to refer to it as up at Redfords, or Redfords old ground.
    I have full confidence our army of Stattos, Saddo's ,anoraks and social misfits on here, will unearth some more facts about the Redfords.

Who did you play for? ..... I was certainly an older chap who referred to Totteridge Rec as Redfords

• Hithercroft as a Junior.

• I have been reminded that Totteridge Crescents, then one of the leading junior teams in the area played at Redfords circa 1945/6. On June 19 1944.a flying bomb or "doodlebug" landed on the ground and left a large crater. It also, as I well remember, caused a good deal of damage to the RGS by way of broken windows and shattered tiles. There must be people who worked at Gommes who remember playing for the football team and other activities that went on there.

• Can anyone please confirm the ground where Redford Sports played Arsenal on Sat Feb 28th 1948 with Arsenal winning 5-1.

• Redford Sports(Wycombe Redfords) home pitch was in Walton Drive, Totteridge in High Wycombe.
    Totally unaware of this fiture.

• @Mr67 said:
    Turner Sports played on a very well appointed ground at the very top of Totteridge Hill opposite the green there Both their football and cricket teams played there and a lot of ex-Wycombe players joined them after their career at Loakes Park Had finished. Saw a couple of games up there late 60s early 70s when we Weren’t playing. A nice easy 15 minute walk from where I was living.The site is now occupied buy some very nice houses that I wish I could afford.

Ernest Turner Sports hold the record of 3 championship wins in the Great Western Combination league.

• Still a strong showing from Wycombe nose club at every game

• I’d not seen this thread before but it’s a fascinating read.

I can confirm through painful experiences that Redfords was still in use for RGS cross country purposes until at least the early 90s.

• If you had a time machine but could only use it once, which game would you go to?

• Without knowing the result?

Wimbledon away

• @LX1 said:
    If you had a time machine but could only use it once, which game would you go to?

30th July 1966, Wembley

• @Twizz said:

@LX1 said:
    If you had a time machine but could only use it once, which game would you go to?

30th July 1966, Wembley

Everyone I know over 60 claims to have been there

• @eric_plant said:
    Without knowing the result?

Wimbledon away

Are there any games from the past where the result is unknown?

• @LX1 said:

The Oxford away game, where Ma Kalambay played in goal. Just to see if it would be possible to keep a pair of Persil white undercrackers in pristine condition.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Redford Sports(Wycombe Redfords) home pitch was in Walton Drive, Totteridge in High Wycombe.
    Totally unaware of this fiture.

If you can give me an email address I can send a pdf of the details from the Arsenal ledger at that time.

• @eric_plant said:
    Without knowing the result?

Wimbledon away

I’d love to see us win the Amateur Cup, or Middlesborough play at Loakes Park but this is the correct answer. I’d even include my dads car catching fire on the way and arriving home in the early hours of my 16th birthday.

• @LX1 said:

Highbury, Saturday 14th March 1957
    F.A. Amateur Cup semi-final
    Wycombe Wanderers 4 Corinthian Casuals 2

• That is a terrific shout! My parents used to regale me with their first-hand account of that match when I was a nipper. I remember just wanting to hear the story over and over again, and it totally sucked me in to wanting to go and watch the Blues as soon as I was old enough...

• Definitely Leicester in the FA cup run, closely followed by Wimbledon.

My first Wycombe game was the subsequent loss to Liverpool, I'd give anything to have been there when Essandoh scored.