Skip to content

Match day thread: Huddersfield

Don't forget kick off is 7pm!

Comments

• Just had my first vision of Jordan Rhodes

• Huddersfield's first choice keeper Ben Hamer is currently isolating for Covid reasons. Their back-up Pereira had a shocker on Saturday, and certainly should have done better for 3 of the goals they conceded in a 4-3 defeat. He was on loan at Hearts last year and their fans don't seem to have many good things to say about him either.

This set of photos on twitter obviously is only a snapshot and doesn't give a full picture, but shows he takes up some less than ideal positions.

Hopefully an area of weakness for us to target.

• edited November 2020
  • To be fair the lad comes off his line. A lot.

• This really was bad:

Goal 1 - Maybe unsighted but ball goes right past him - very slow to adjust position in the first place.
    Goal 2 - Tries to narrow the angle but leaves a great big gap between himself and the near post.
    Goal 3 - Passes the ball straight to them - although arguably the least worst error as his team-mate put him under pressure.
    Goal 4 - Doesn't even bother to move his arm towards the ball.

Like I said, blinder incoming tonight.

• Tbf the defence in front of him looks pretty dodgy. Can see our pressing game creating chances

• It does, Samuel alongside Bayo if Scotty not fit imo. And if Pereira is shaky anyway then who better to throw at him than the big man?

• Some of those goals were, to quote the voice in the background, absolutely ridiculous. Huddersfield can't be that bad twice in a row though can they?

• edited November 2020

17 goals conceded, only us and Cov have worse defensive record. Have scored 15 and won 3-0 at Millwall a few weeks back though, so they're unpredictable.

• Let's hope we try a bit of shoot on sight tactics and test out the keeper early on

• Not sure either keeper covered themselves in glory in that game!

• There’s also a big game tonight for Wycombe old boys Gary Smith and Steve Guppy, the coaches at MLS club Nashville. They play Toronto in a play off match in Conneticut after beating Beckham’s Miami side at the weekend. It’s live on Sky after 11pm. Win double?

• Incredibly harsh in respect of 1,2 and 4. @chairboyscentral . You could arguably blame him for not coming for the cross for goal one but not surely for not stopping the shot, goal 2 doesn't go between him and the near post and no keeper is stopping goal four.

I do wonder what percentage of goals in PL and Champ this season have come as a direct result of teams trying and failing to play out. Lot to be said for hoofing it.

• Have we been privy to any information on Stockdale's injury, while we are talking keepers...

• @DevC said:
    Incredibly harsh in respect of 1,2 and 4. @chairboyscentral . You could arguably blame him for not coming for the cross for goal one but not surely for not stopping the shot, goal 2 doesn't go between him and the near post and no keeper is stopping goal four.

I do wonder what percentage of goals in PL and Champ this season have come as a direct result of teams trying and failing to play out. Lot to be said for hoofing it.

True on goal 2, but it is awful positioning.

• Good info @glasshalffull - if a US pre-season tour ever goes ahead, surely there will be a warm welcome awaiting us in Nashville...?

• COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Good info @glasshalffull - if a US pre-season tour ever goes ahead, surely there will be a warm welcome awaiting us in Nashville...?

Gutted it was supposed to happen 2020, but now looks like 2022. Selfishly, I hope they pick Denver, but I am guessing New Orleans and a couple of other cities in closer proximity. Nashville is probably a good shout with the Wycombe connection.

• edited November 2020

Looks like we're carrying on with the diamond we ended Saturday's game with - or possibly a 4-3-3 to match them, although they play a slightly different system with the CBs splitting very wide and the holding midfielder (Hogg) dropping between.
  • Ah, just logged in to a bit of Led Zeppelin blasting out of the PA...so I assume I'm okay for the match...

• Looks like a winning line up to me! Nice to have someone like Horgan to bring on as a sub!!!

• edited November 2020

Back to GK talk...... Anderson on the bench!!?

• Huddersfield have switched their keeper, Pereira on the bench

• Interesting line-up indeed. But Mcleary, Wheels, Horgan and Samuel on the bench? What players to bring on against tired defenders. Fingers crossed the big man bags his first of the season tonight and the loan keeper has another nightmare.

• Anderson in the squad already, interesting

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Anderson in the squad already, interesting

I guess he's not expected to be used.... Maybe a little confidence boost? He has good pedigree to be fair and must be seen as at least equal to Yates? Unless Yates is unexpectedly also now injured?

• @Alexo said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Anderson in the squad already, interesting

I guess he's not expected to be used.... Maybe a little confidence boost? He has good pedigree to be fair and must be seen as at least equal to Yates? Unless Yates is unexpectedly also now injured?

I realise my comment might have come across a bit negative - but not at all! He's an exciting prospect, just hasn't played any football in 18 months bar a loan game or two recently.

• Then again, that's kind of the life of a back-up 'keeper!

• Anderson has slightly more experience than Yates doesn't he? I'd assumed he was the de facto number 3 until he went out on loan.

• @floyd said:
    Anderson has slightly more experience than Yates doesn't he? I'd assumed he was the de facto number 3 until he went out on loan.

Yeah, reasonable amount of games in what's effectively the second tier in the States