Skip to content

35 years since Live Aid today

2»

Comments

• "whenever we meet on the jazz circuit" is the thing that isn't a euphemism that sounds most like a euphemism in recent Gasroom history

• @micra said:
    Now why does that not surprise me - I’ve a mate who is (or was) a dead spit of Kenny Rogers and whenever we meet on the jazz circuit those are the names we use. So much so that I have a helluva job trying to remember his real name (and no doubt vice versa but I’ve never asked him). Also at jazz gatherings a cockney acquaintance always greets me with a loud shout of ‘hey, Wycombe!’. A Hammers fan.

Don’t want to raise Monsoon from the dead with a resumption of his fabled jazz piss takes.

I love this tune, any chance of you performing this in the Adam's Park Village when fans return.
    I know a long term Wanderers fan, who was rarely out of a velvet jacket in the 70 and 80's at Loakes Park, so you dont need to worry about any costume changes !!

• Good job my Hammers mate isn’t a Fulham fan then. You’d be talking about cottaging!

• @micra a bit of Acker Bilk in there, surely?

• That last comment was addressed to Eric of course before I saw the video of Rog.
    You old romantic @ChasHarps. At least I hope you meant what you said. Mrs micra and I have just played it. Certainly takes you back. And even I was struck by the likeness. I’m no singer but I do do regional accents and @bluntphil suggested last season that he might invite me to do the opposition comments on one of our matches. I’m well out of practice these days and I’d be nervous as hell so I reckon it’s a non-starter.

• @ChasHarps said:

@micra said:
    Now why does that not surprise me - I’ve a mate who is (or was) a dead spit of Kenny Rogers and whenever we meet on the jazz circuit those are the names we use. So much so that I have a helluva job trying to remember his real name (and no doubt vice versa but I’ve never asked him). Also at jazz gatherings a cockney acquaintance always greets me with a loud shout of ‘hey, Wycombe!’. A Hammers fan.

Don’t want to raise Monsoon from the dead with a resumption of his fabled jazz piss takes.

I love this tune, any chance of you performing this in the Adam's Park Village when fans return.
    I know a long term Wanderers fan, who was rarely out of a velvet jacket in the 70 and 80's at Loakes Park, so you dont need to worry about any costume changes !!

I remember wearing lapels that large! Jeeez, SleazyJet have smaller wings on their aircraft!

• edited November 2020

@micra said:
    That’s > @Wendoverman said:

@micra said:
    I thought David Jason was a neighbour of @Wendoverman.

Neighbour? Nah! He lives nearer to Little Kimble, but I've seen him knocking about Wendover looking like a man who does not want to be recognised or approached.

That’s what I recall you saying about him, word for word, on a previous occasion. I remember being disappointed but not unduly surprised.

I expect Chinnor qualifies as being in the surrounding area of “ Rizzy”, in which case my old mate Bill Giles’ name could perhaps be added. He is also making a big contribution towards maintaining the high average age of the local populace.

@ChasHarps - I have an Apple 5c iPhone with a tiny screen and literally for years I’ve been thinking how like a pop star from decades ago you looked.
    Suddenly, out of the blue (but prompted by this thread) I remembered a group called Fine Young Cannibals which I used to enjoy in my younger days and realised that the thumbnail (?) picture is of Roland Gift.
    The challenge now is for you guys to identify the handsome guy in my own profile pic.

I was slightly confused at your pic. Mostly because I thought I knew who you were based on the very obvious "nickname" on here v the fb group.

But then the pics didn't match. And I clearly didn't and still don't recognise the photo on here or name.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Was he working at Molins when he was recruited ? He co wrote 'One way' and 'Union City Blues', but it didnt end amicably with Harrison filing lawsuits after he had left Blondie .

When Blondie were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame, he asked on stage to Debbie Harry if he could play with the group, and she said no. Embarrassing....

• @arnos_grove said:
    East Village were previously known as Episode Four. I’ve got their old Strike Up Matches EP, which quite often sells for silly money.

https://gripsweat.com/item/202059737465/episode-four-strike-up-matches-ep-12-vinyl-super-rare

I think I bought it for £2 when it came out at the old BFP offices in Castle Street. And the only other record I bought there was the legendary Wycombe Compilation Album.

Martin Kelly (bass player) ran Heavenly Records and is married to St Etienne’s Sarah Cracknell. John Wood (guitarist) has been seen at Adams Park in the past too.

Drop Out is superb, there was also a compilation reissue called Hot Rod Hotel which is worth seeking out.

Incredible. Thanks for the reply

Were they well known locally at the time? Seems like they just ran under the radar a little. I don't know what as it's one of the best albums I've heard.

I only stumbled across them through pure chance, but the album is unbelievable. I was amazed that they were from bucks, with a name like 'East Village' I thought they would be a new York band or something.

• @Wheresthechips they had a track on the Wycombe Compilation album and their recent reissue has a nice inner sleeve biography that certainly shows them playing at the Windsor Old Trout, plus all the usual London suspects (Camden Falcon, Underworld, New Cross Venue etc). Couple of the Adams Family fanzine contributors saw them at Camden Underworld (probably early 90s) on a pretty epic bill with Flowered Up, St Etienne and bottom of the bill at the time, Manic Street Preachers. Andrew Weatherall DJing too!

The LP text mentions the Kelly brothers meeting guitarist John Wood in The Antelope and Paul Kelly’s first band (The Vox Phantoms) supporting The Slits at Wycombe town hall. Plus many mentions of Nags Head promoter, Ron Watts and recruiting the drummer in Great Missenden railway station car park.

John Wood is a Wycombe lad. I’ve met him a few times through a mate - last time a few years back in the Vere Suite. He was living overseas at the time.

Silver Train on Drop Out is fantastic. Still gets a regular play in this house.

• I can assure you @Malone that the profile pic on here and on FB is narcissistic me. Bit more formal and unsmiling than I usually look and I took it with the intention of having it incorporated in the polypropylene cut out that I’d paid £25 for and which never materialised. The thumbs up was intended to be me celebrating a goal, believe it or not! Not exactly joyous.

• @EddieMonsoon has been in touch on Messenger and included details of a very funny YouTube video called The Very Best of Jazz Club from The Fast Show. I’m wondering if @ChasHarps, @Chris or someone would be kind enough to post it.
    Incidentally, @EddieMonsoon says he has nothing against Jazz - he just enjoys sending things up.

• @arnos_grove said:
    @Wheresthechips they had a track on the Wycombe Compilation album and their recent reissue has a nice inner sleeve biography that certainly shows them playing at the Windsor Old Trout, plus all the usual London suspects (Camden Falcon, Underworld, New Cross Venue etc). Couple of the Adams Family fanzine contributors saw them at Camden Underworld (probably early 90s) on a pretty epic bill with Flowered Up, St Etienne and bottom of the bill at the time, Manic Street Preachers. Andrew Weatherall DJing too!

The LP text mentions the Kelly brothers meeting guitarist John Wood in The Antelope and Paul Kelly’s first band (The Vox Phantoms) supporting The Slits at Wycombe town hall. Plus many mentions of Nags Head promoter, Ron Watts and recruiting the drummer in Great Missenden railway station car park.

John Wood is a Wycombe lad. I’ve met him a few times through a mate - last time a few years back in the Vere Suite. He was living overseas at the time.

Was there a band from Risborough called Peachy Keen? Or am I making that up?

• @arnos_grove said:
    @Wheresthechips they had a track on the Wycombe Compilation album and their recent reissue has a nice inner sleeve biography that certainly shows them playing at the Windsor Old Trout, plus all the usual London suspects (Camden Falcon, Underworld, New Cross Venue etc). Couple of the Adams Family fanzine contributors saw them at Camden Underworld (probably early 90s) on a pretty epic bill with Flowered Up, St Etienne and bottom of the bill at the time, Manic Street Preachers. Andrew Weatherall DJing too!

I've got the compilation album (my ex-brother-in-law is on it) does anyone know where Dungeon Studios was? Tried Google and it led me to a S&M dungeon to hire!

• @arnos_grove said:
    Couple of the Adams Family fanzine contributors saw them at Camden Underworld (probably early 90s) on a pretty epic bill with Flowered Up, St Etienne and bottom of the bill at the time, Manic Street Preachers. Andrew Weatherall DJing too!

That's a fantastic line up.

• Talking of epic bills from back in the day. How about this one:

Crystal Palace Bowl 1991:

• Pixies
    • Ride
    • Cud
    • Milltown Brothers
    • Boo Radleys
  • Talking of epic bills... PELICANS.

The Boo Radleys successfully ruined their legacy by releasing Wake Up Boo!

• I remember a day at Wembley when I saw White Lies, Girls Aloud, Jay Z and Coldplay. Maybe the most random mix of acts I have ever seen.

I am not sure I have ever seen an act performing as a warm up who ever made it that big. Never been that lucky.

• My favourite line-up was a club gig Wall of Voodoo, Comsat Angels and topping the bill - U2! Twas a great night if you like that sort of thing.

• @Wendoverman At the Rock Garden?

I like Comsat Angels - as, I recall, does @LeedsBlue who has very fine taste apart from the whole Marillion thing.

• @our_frank said:
    @Wendoverman At the Rock Garden?

I like Comsat Angels - as, I recall, does @LeedsBlue who has very fine taste apart from the whole Marillion thing.

Rock city oh yes. October tour. Comsats, the Chameleons and The Sound were three of my favourites at the time. All underrated in their time.

• Was at the opening night of Rock City - The Undertones supported by Orange Juice December 1980...not a bad bill?

• The Undertones supported by Sultans of Ping FC at the Forum in Kentish Town only about 4 years ago.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Was at the opening night of Rock City - The Undertones supported by Orange Juice December 1980...not a bad bill?

Wasn’t the first gig at Rock City supposed to be Iron Maiden, but it was cancelled because the electrics weren’t ready?

Such a great venue - looking forward to returning next year.

• Specials at Rock City a few years back was pretty good.

• I (and lots of other sad men and women) saw From the Jam there a couple of years ago. (Modfather and Co were another fave back in the days when we had to go to Leicester De Montford Hall to see anyone decent!) It is still a great venue. (I also saw Blue Oyster Cult there on their last tour...but let's draw a veil over that.)