Skip to content

Chairboys Central 2020/21 content

Comments

• 'Express criticism of his home town' or tongue in cheek reference to one of our football rivals @HCblue ? Though @DevC 's express criticism of Wendover hurt me deeply.

• Intended tongue in cheek on both sides @Wendoverman . The countryside in the chilterns is undoubtedly beautiful and while live music and restaurants and theatre etc may be limited in HW and probably in even Wendover itself, you do have London just up the road. OK the sea is a long way away but you do have the odd chalkpit to compensate. Darkest Devon is a long way from anywhere (apart from Cornwall I suppose) you would be somewhere past Stoke on Trent before I have got past the M4. After a long holiday flight back to Heathrow you will be home, fed, showered and tucked up peacefully snoring away in bed long before I have got off the motorway. Worst of all my nearest pro football team play in green. yuk.

We all live where we do for a reason - that's our individual choice. No surprise that Righty would go straight for the personal attack angle as usual. So tired so predictable. York by the way is I think perhaps the UK's finest city. Next life I'm going there.

• I was always a fan of the “you look in you dustbin for something to eat...” song we used to sing in the 70s, but was always conscious of the irony when it ended something like “in your Leatherhead slums.”

(And agree about York. Really lovely city where I am lucky enough to be based in for work)

• edited October 2020

Winchester is my favourite city. Great history and countryside. Far superior to Plymouth.

• @DevC said:
    Intended tongue in cheek on both sides @Wendoverman .

We all live where we do for a reason - that's our individual choice. No surprise that Righty would go straight for the personal attack angle as usual. So tired so predictable. York by the way is I think perhaps the UK's finest city. Next life I'm going there.

Ever thought that I might be adopting the same posting style as you where you enflame and disagree before back tracking in to the realms of banter and tongue in cheek when challenged?

I can't possibly attack you personally as I don't know you personally. I just challenge where I want and its not just you who gets challenged. I would love to hear your views about our current performances and the struggle our players are going through in an historic season. After all you don't have the excuse of living so far away at the moment and can see exactly the same game footage as us all. Instead you 'banter' around other topics.

My favourite city in the whole wide world is London.

• edited October 2020

Personal attacks bore me to tears RITM. I think you do too much of it for what its worth. Your choice what to post though.

As for the season, not sure what you want me to say really. We all view football (and life) through the prism of our prior expectations. I am a natural Eeyore when it comes to football (unlike life as it happens) and hence don't really expect very much and am then pleasantly surprised when things go well. I have had lots of pleasant surprises over the last few seasons. My expectations were that this will be a step too far this season and at the moment tbh I have seen nothing to change that view. I see no lack of effort but collectively the team, not helped by injuries, seem to me some way off being good enough to really compete at this level. I see Sporting Index's prediction of 31 points to be quite high, but am aware that that might just be my Eeyore tendencies coming through. The games I have seen (I havent seen all six - I prefer a local nonleague live game if my local team are at home) feel a little like a cup game - lower level team works hard but sometimes get hammered and sometimes undone by a moment or two or quality with a fair degree of inevitability. I have found myself feeling a little disengaged and easily distracted from the Iplayer experience this season tbh.

Is that what you were after?

• How many of the games have you seen @DevC
    Your comments seem quite generic so not really what I was thinking you'd post. You never a player or a match incident? Any reason why?

Maybe this is why I find it really hard to engage on anything other than a questioning level (seen by you as a personal attack when it isn't).
    You talk bookie odds when I talk hopes.
    Maybe we just care about the club in different ways?

In short I find it very dull that you see every retort as a personal attack. They are just queries from someone who enjoys the emotions of the game more than the stats and the odds. Someone who sees hopes and highs rather than numbers and trends.

Not sure you ever read this bits as I've posted them before and you continue with attack route one.

How many of our six historic Championship matches have you watched?

• edited October 2020

I apologise for not giving you precisely what you want, Righty. Obviusly I'll try much harder in future.
    Three of the six I believe, two I was watching a live game elsewhere, one I had family business. I did nip out for a slash at around 60 minutes in one though so don't know if that counts. Would you like me to put my hand up and ask for permission next time?

• Thinking about the direction I want to take CC in and I was just curious as to what kind of Wycombe content people would read more of? Trying to formulate a proper plan and any feedback would be handy! I don't want to increase my workload - if anything I want to bring it down a bit - but it would be good to get an idea of what fans might be interested in!

• It's the statistical analysis you do which is second to none and adds real value to the sum of our knowledge, in my opinion. The interviews Phil covers well and the opposition viewpoint I can do without. If I were you I'd double down on the strategic and positional analysis and spend your time doing innovative statistical modelling. Maybe try your hand at more graphical representation of the stats. Data journalism is a growing niche and one which is really coming into its own and you're in a good position to exploit that, perhaps even professionally.

• edited November 2020

Yeah, I stopped doing the opposition view as I didn't feel it added much and was time I could free up. I'll probably carry on interviews as and when - although with independent Wycombe figures rather than current players, as regular access is hard to get anyway. Definitely keen to do more on the tactical front and maybe move away from previews to focus on what's actually happened / trends over time - although the technical side, statistical modelling and what have you is pretty alien to me!

• If you're keen to have more content but less work maybe look at embedding feeds or providing links to the sources of your work, has to be done carefully though to avoid being clickbaity.

• edited November 2020

Not keen to have more content at all! Just want to focus it. Definitely won't be going down the clickbait route. A big part of the overall engagement comes through Twitter, but I want to rein that in as well. Quality over quantity n all that.

• "Wycombe's xG will SHOCK YOU!!"

• For me I always liked the previews as I don't follow non Wycombe football as avidly as you do. It was good to get a few pointers to watch for on players and possible tactics. It was, for example, interesting on Saturday to hear two well respected commentators talk alot about a clash of styles when I was watching a game between two long ball sides when you took away the tip tapping at the back. I think you would have spotted that.

I like the stats and tactics but personally prefer the opinion to come from those in the game. That's nothing personal as your views are as valid as others but I hate the reading random fan tweets that the media count as post game analysis now.

Overall though just do what makes you happy. You have provided a great resource but if you aren't earning decent money from it you have to enjoy it. It's always more fun supporting a winning team so pitch what you decide based on a long mid winter losing steak. Hopefully it never happens but it gives you a base.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It will be much appreciated.

• edited November 2020

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I like the stats and tactics but personally prefer the opinion to come from those in the game.

Have to disagree with this as there are plenty "in the game" who offer far less insight than those outside it. Not talking about anyone in particular here, just a general thing. Agree about random fans' tweets making it into the mainstream - local papers seem to pass that off as coverage now, quite sad really.

• Regular column for Alan Swann? Or is that more for @bluntphil and Ringing the Blues?

• @chairboyscentral said:

I like the stats and tactics but personally prefer the opinion to come from those in the game.

Have to disagree with this as there are plenty "in the game" who offer far less insight than those outside it. Not talking about anyone in particular here, just a general thing. Agree about random fans' tweets making it into the mainstream - local papers seem to pass that off as coverage now, quite sad really.

There are some very poor ex footballer pundits earning money purely because of their name aren't there. I just can't engage with a Youtuber or podcast host who's never played the game. They are better communicators but have no background. I guess its the new way

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:

There are some very poor ex footballer pundits earning money purely because of their name aren't there. I just can't engage with a Youtuber or podcast host who's never played the game. They are better communicators but have no background. I guess its the new way

Theres no magic here, the good ex-pro's are the ones that prepare and have done the journalistic and language training. The others are for Jeff and others to laugh at.

The YouTube / Blog generation aren't really replacing the ex pro's though, they are replacing the pro journalists and there's good and bad. A dedicated skilled fan covering one club like MrCentral here probably beats the guy who has to cover all sports, news and community for half of London and bordering counties for a skint paper. Bias would be concerning but that doesn't seem to worry a number of large newspapers.
    Unfortunately you can't find out until you read it, travel sites / blogs seem to often be far worse than football ones without going near the cesspools you find round politics.

• edited December 2020

So I've decided to take Chairboys Central in a new direction as Chairboys Tactical, focusing on the analytical and statistical. Hoping to get up and running next week, just figuring out Substack - which is basically a newsletter platform but will still allow me to post everything to a website of sorts, just means I no longer have to faff about maintaining a proper site for only once/twice-weekly content. Those of you on Twitter can give it a follow here if you like!

• Good luck. Looking forward to the content

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Good luck. Looking forward to the content

Thanks!

• Excellent news! I'm looking forward to a world of nonlinear regressional analysis, subset sampling and other statistical modelling all presented in innovative graphical interfaces mining all available datasets.

And luckily we know you'll do it all in understandable English, unlike half the data journalists out there with a degree in statistical analysis but very little journalistic nous.

• @aloysius said:
    Excellent news! I'm looking forward to a world of nonlinear regressional analysis, subset sampling and other statistical modelling all presented in innovative graphical interfaces mining all available datasets.

And luckily we know you'll do it all in understandable English, unlike half the data journalists out there with a degree in statistical analysis but very little journalistic nous.

I'm going to pretend to understand the first part of that! I'll see how I go...

Michael Cox and Tom Worville are the two I guess I take inspiration from in the football world.

• Just poking my head round the door to introduce JJ's Left Foot (forgot to at the time) - CC under a new name and with a new direction. Dabbled with going purely tactical/analytical, but keeping it to broader long-form stuff for now at least. It's effectively a newsletter, so you can sign up here if you fancy!

• Latest newsletter: a statistical/analytical look at our season

Sorry I've largely dropped off the grid - busy start to the year!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Latest newsletter: a statistical/analytical look at our season

Sorry I've largely dropped off the grid - busy start to the year!

An interesting read, cheers Tom. We've since had a goal for Wheeler and an assist for Bayo to spice things up as well. I can only imagine that the xA for that flick on was pretty low... the first touch from Wheeler on the run was a thing of beauty and the finish wasn't bad either.

• Sometimes I think Wheeler would actually make a great front man...pacey, good in the air, etc etc has he ever played there in the past?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sometimes I think Wheeler would actually make a great front man...pacey, good in the air, etc etc has he ever played there in the past?

Think we tried him as a centre forward in the earlier part of the season? If I am correct, it was a dismal failure!

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Sometimes I think Wheeler would actually make a great front man...pacey, good in the air, etc etc has he ever played there in the past?

Think we tried him as a centre forward in the earlier part of the season? If I am correct, it was a dismal failure!

I stand corrected. I did not remember that. But there's quite a lot about the first half of the season that seems to have already been wiped from my memory!