Skip to content

50 years of supporting Wycombe today

Comments

• A mere 28 years, although I was 25 at the time. As I have not supported the club man and boy I hang my head in shame.

Hats off to those in in the 50 year club. What a journey!

• Closing in on 30 years since my first game, the Trophy win over Runcorn. it's been a ride!

• @eric_plant said:
    Yep, 15th December 1990 we beat Sutton 4-1

I'm sure Westy scored all 4

Wasn’t that game because we lost.

• @Kim_il_Swan said:
    First game was in the Jim Kelman years but, and this might be cheating, I'm pretty sure I watched Wycombe play by looking out of a window at the hospital in 1982. Was that possible?

Definitely possible, I watched a midweek reserve game once from the ward I was on with a broken leg

• Well done @A_Worboys - I always knew I was still a newcomer !

First WWFC game I saw was the 1991 FA Trophy Final at Wembley, before returning there again two years later. Me and the boys then started coming to Adams Park for the 1993-94 first season in the Football League - and we haven't stopped since!

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Kim_il_Swan said:
    First game was in the Jim Kelman years but, and this might be cheating, I'm pretty sure I watched Wycombe play by looking out of a window at the hospital in 1982. Was that possible?

Definitely possible, I watched a midweek reserve game once from the ward I was on with a broken leg

I watched the Middlesbrough match from the hospital ward after a motorbike accident.

• @EwanHoosaami, as did Monty Seymour (RIP) ex- Club President as mentioned in the commentary on the day. If I remember correctly.the players gave him a wave before kick-off.

• 50 year club here.

Wouldn’t have changed a thing (without the inevitable downs you can’t possibly appreciate fully the incredible number of ups)

Is there a club of our size with a more exciting history over the past half-century?

• 50 years 10 months - Tooting and Mitcham in the Amateur Cup, January 1970.

• @Twizz said:
    @EwanHoosaami, as did Monty Seymour (RIP) ex- Club President as mentioned in the commentary on the day. If I remember correctly.the players gave him a wave before kick-off.

No that was then Chairman Jack Smethurst .

• @Malone said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    You can see why the Facebook goons think the Gasroom is full of old gits, can't you.

When I saw even @mooneyman must be 61 years minimum (i've seen some fans claim their support started from birth - so unless he's counting before that!), when some of his posts suggest a much younger man, I started thinking that too!

My uncle took me to my first Wycombe game in the FA Cup v Watford in 1959 so actually I won't knock up my 61 years for another two weeks.

• Love this thread. One of my favourite things at Wycombe is chatting to long-standing fans and hearing their stories and memories of games and seasons before my time as a supporter. Over a pint in a pub near an away ground, or on the terrace before a game.

I really miss it.

• I thought my first game was the 2001 FA Cup Final, but recently found out my parents took me to a game in the late 1990s against Middlesboro when the Wycombe area was gripped by Gazza-fever. Unfortunately I've no memory of it!

• With references of Wanderers fans locked out of the cup replay at the Dolphin in 1970. The attendance was given as 6800, I wonder how many more could have been squeezed in, if it wasnt for those huge collars and bell bottoms that were favoured at the time ?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    You can see why the Facebook goons think the Gasroom is full of old gits, can't you.

I'm seeing some of these guys in a different light now.

• @ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Just over 27 years since my first game, wigan away in 93 a 1-1 draw.

Was another 8 years before I got my first home game in I think but did plenty of northern games away games in that time.

Your's is a great story that I was privileged to hear from you on Lancaster station a number of years ago when we were making our way to a match at Morecambe. Come on both of our Blues.

• Fascinating reading some of the stories on here - wish I could remember half as much. 51 years - September 1969 against (I think) Walthamstow Avenue for me.

• @ChasHarps said:
    With references of Wanderers fans locked out of the cup replay at the Dolphin in 1970. The attendance was given as 6800, I wonder how many more could have been squeezed in, if it wasnt for those huge collars and bell bottoms that were favoured at the time ?

When WW won the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup in 1923 the Final (against Maidenhead United) was held at the Dolphin and according to the Bucks Free Press the attendance was 11,500! (Gate takings £660). "The holding capacity of the Dolphin enclosure was taxed to it's utmost. Spectators climbed into the trees to get a view, while others rested on the roof of the pavilion and other buildings. The stand was packed to an uncomfortable degree."

• I bet @micra was in one of 'em trees!

• Loving this thread...17 years at Wycombe (Tony adams in charge) but 48 years since my first Forest game...Bridgford End open to the skies

• @ChasHarps, I knew I should have fact checked my statement when I made it. Someone was also going to correct me, if I got it wrong, though. ?

• @floyd said:
    Closing in on 30 years since my first game, the Trophy win over Runcorn. it's been a ride!

Ditto!

• Feb '03 v Wigan. Do I qualify for shortest-serving fan on here?

• @mooneyman said:
    I bet @micra was in one of 'em trees!

Funny you should say that. Late (very late) last night I wrote about Barclays crediting my current account with £50 and sending me a mug with the Wanderers badge and “100% Wycombe since 1938” emblazoned on it. Intended as a softener after some kind of minor quibble I had which they construed as a complaint.

I have banked with Barclays for 64 years so I was due some sort of recognition.
    But the reason I’m laboriously tapping this out is that I can find neither head nor hair/Hyde nor hare of the comment I tapped out 24 hours ago. Anyone seen it?
    BTW it’s 52 years and I recall diddly squat about my debut game in 1968.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Feb '03 v Wigan. Do I qualify for shortest-serving fan on here?

Anyone whose first game was in the dying embers of the Sanchez regime who kept coming back deserves a medal.

• Didn't realise at the time but reached 30 years during the first lockdown in April. First game a 1-0 win v Farnborough during the last season at Loakes Park. I think Mark West had sorted our junior team tickets.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@chairboyscentral said:

No, Trevor has yet to start supporting Wycombe.

• AS posted before, 1st game crawled under the fence between Barracks Road and the training ground 2nd Feb 1968. v Bromley won 4-2. But was a fan before because my Grandmother told me I was. My Grandad & Great-grandfather and his 3 brothers played either side of the great war. 52 years attending matches or is that 51with an asterisk*.

• 34 years now (Ouch!). Wycombe Wanderers vs Bognor Regis Town (30th August 1986) It was the first time that Graham Bressington went in goal after Gary Lester had to come off. I was 9, and did have to ask my dad if that happened a lot!!!

• First game too young - spent most of the afternoon "driving" around Loakes Park pretending to be a car. I was probably quite sweet for the first couple of minutes......

First game I can remember going to was Oldbury Town in the FAAC 1971 -for some reason I was amused by the name. Possible I may have been taken to one or two others before.