Skip to content

Comments

• Brilliant footage. I was at that game I was disappointed that we were unable to beat Bournemouth as we did six years earlier on our way to playing Middlesbrough. I’m sure most people will get this one which player in the Wycombe line up Played in both the 1974 and 1980 matches?

• I stand corrected they were two players who played in both ties

• Paul Birdseye and Micky Hollifield.

• Correct

• I seem to remember this highlight reel being shown at the end of the BBC News & Sport that evening. Nothing remarkable about that, until you consider that the programme which immediately followed was the “whodunnit” episode of Dallas when 20 million viewers discovered who shot JR. as most people would’ve been on their sofas already, in readiness for the big reveal, does this count as WWFC’s biggest ever audience?

• So 20 million people possibly turned into the footage of Gary Toll warming Gary Lester up before the game ?
    They should consider themselves very fortunate they never had to witness his efforts in the flesh.

• Bob Davies (or Paul Birdseye?) and Steve Hardwick must have been two of the smallest central defenders ever to represent Wycombe. And, to be honest, I remember Hardwick more as a battling midfielder. Hard to see who else might have played there though.

Miraculous how pitch technology has advanced over the last 40 years. Floodlights have come on a bit too and that three blast final whistle is the loudest I’ve ever heard.

Great to be reminded of the kind of noise and atmosphere we used to experience!

Thanks @ChasHarps. Me boots are full and squelching!

• It was Bob Davies and Hardwick, birdseye was at right back.
    Keith Mead was coming to the end of his days, and agree they were not the most dominant in the air. The arrival of Anton Vircavs the following year, solved that problem. From 81-86, Anton was absolutely tremendous for the Wanderers, a real force in the opponents box from corners.

• His arrival was on a par with that of Mawson and Knight although Mawson’s impact was by far the most instant. I’ll never forget how many times his unfamiliar name was mentioned during his debut game at Newport.

• Let’s hope Tafazolli makes a similar impact. He scores a few goals I think - not surprisingly at 6’5”.

• @micra said:
    His arrival was on a par with that of Mawson and Knight although Mawson’s impact was by far the most instant. I’ll never forget how many times his unfamiliar name was mentioned during his debut game at Newport.

I think John Maskell was instrumental in bringing Anton to Loakes Park, and in later years helped bring in Dave Burgess and Kevin Durham from over the border in Oxon. One that didnt have the same affect was Kevin Connolly, brought in midway through our Gola lge relegation season, struggled to make much impact before departing.

• @ChasHarps I think they might've cut out the warm up. But 20 million bums were definitely off their seats thinking Terry Glynn was about to give us an early lead...

Or, given that some people were still boiling the kettle or walking the dog, let's say around 19,500,000.