Skip to content

Philip Page

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/november/r.i.p.-philip-page/

Big Wanderers fan going back many years. Was also my driving instructor. I remember passing my driving test (at the second attempt) a few days before the Peterborough FA Cup tie in 1973. I thought it was a good omen for the match, unfortunately not that time.
Wycombe was, and presumably still is, a good place to learn to drive. All those hill starts up Castlefield way. Philip got me to do one almost every lesson. Was anyone else on here taught to drive by him?
RIP Philip

Comments

• I was taught by his brother Alan. I remember Phil when he worked at Amersham college.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/november/r.i.p.-philip-page/

Big Wanderers fan going back many years. Was also my driving instructor. I remember passing my driving test (at the second attempt) a few days before the Peterborough FA Cup tie in 1973. I thought it was a good omen for the match, unfortunately not that time.
    Wycombe was, and presumably still is, a good place to learn to drive. All those hill starts up Castlefield way. Philip got me to do one almost every lesson. Was anyone else on here taught to drive by him?
    RIP Philip

He taught me to drive too - though I'm not sure how, as my memories of his lessons are mainly of me driving while he read aloud the latest match reports from the Midweek/Bucks Free Press. And I recall one lesson, driving along Desborough Road when he suddenly ordered me to stop, as he had just spotted Tony Horseman and he jumped out for a quick chat. I suppose that counted as an 'Emergency Stop'.

Philip Page, lovely guy, RIP.

• edited November 2020

Fantastic guy. I was taught by Alan and Phil taught my brother. His son Russell used to arrange the council pitches for Saturday and Sunday league games for those who played on the Rye in the 90s/00s.
    When I first started watching in the mid 80s my Dad took me along and there was a group, including my Aunt and Uncle and various others who had known each other for years that always stood together in front of the flaky green painted stand around the halfway line. That group then got season tickets together in Block E of the original Main Stand at Adams Park, hearing of his passing from my Dad brought back those great memories of watching in the early/mid 90s sat in the middle of that group (as the only youngster too!). Phil was famed for making outrageous comments that were either off the wall or just plain silly and keeping the group entertained, always highly emotional during games!
    As said above, really lovely guy and a one off!

• @TwinBrother said:
    I was taught by his brother Alan. I remember Phil when he worked at Amersham college.

That's right, in my time Alan had the red Austin 1100, Phil had the blue one that I learnt in. My first car was a beaten up Morris 1100 (essentially the same), which I bought for £190 and sold for £20 when it was basically unroadworthy. 4846 PP.