Skip to content

Match day thread: Brentford

Comments

• Well we need to prioritise keeping him over everything else then

• Why did Peterborough persist with playing him in midfield all last season?

• @Croider said:
    Why did Peterborough persist with playing him in midfield all last season?

Reminds me a bit of Keith Ryan. I'm sure he said MON told him once he could play higher up the leagues in defence but was needed in centre mid for us.

• Brentford has some exceptional looking players, but never really turned it on over a long period of time. I guess that’s why they’re mid table.

Special mention to @bluntphil and @glasshalffull, excellent as always today.

• Should also be remembered that they sold two of the absolute star players of the league in Watkins and Benrahma.

Takes nothing away from a strong performance today but those two leaving is a massive weakening.

• edited November 2020

Watkins not so much because Toney has been in blistering form - which makes the job we did on him all the more impressive - but Benrahma is a huge loss. Interesting that the two best wide forwards in the Championship last season both ended up at West Ham.

• edited November 2020

If someone can find the Wycombe fan on the BBC editorial committee adding the line "But Oxford held on to move up to the lofty heights of sixth-bottom" in the Oxford United match report for today then please award a very shiny medal. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54941054

• edited November 2020

That was the first 0-0 at Adams Park in almost two years - that's got to be some kind of record?

• As far as I know not one of our squad attracted interest from another club in the ‘summer’. I look at recent performances and could see half that team being of interest to other championship clubs. Thompson especially is immense with work rate, defensive play, mix of aggression and calmness.

• Don’t think Thompson put a foot wrong all game. MoM for me, though Knight would be a close second.

• Thompson has certainly put any questions about not being able to compete at this level to bed.

• On a scale of 1-10, with "Anthony Stewart in the Playoff Final" being an 11, Knight seems to consistently hit 9. Today was flawless. In fact, he, Thompson and Rocky were all flawless today.

• edited November 2020

I thought JJ, after looking too exposed early on and being targeted by Mbuemo, went on to have arguably his best game so far.

• Impressive again. Seemed to stifle Brentford, resulting in few chances going their way. Although Rocky did have to make one excellent save.

We are playing consistently well and, if we are to stay up, need to find more goals when we’re on top. Fred’s cross was begging to be knocked in at the back post. At the moment we look a striker away from being a mid table Championship side.

• Our form is respectable mid-table over the last 5 too: 2 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. Those pesky 7 losses to open are going to hurt, but if we could continue to average 8 points every 5 games, we would be fine!

• edited November 2020

I think we've got enough goals in us with the defence in much better nick than it was in those early weeks. You don't need a prolific striker if you can keep it tight enough at the other end - and you're highly unlikely to get even a semi-prolific Championship striker in our position! Although Gareth mentioned after the Reading game wanting to get another striker in, so maybe that's still a thought - then again, we'd have to offload someone first as we've maxed out the squad cap.

• Does Phillips leaving on loan leave an open space in the squad though? I believe the rules are a maximum of 25 players over 21 years old, but including all loanees?

Goalkeepers (2) - Allsop, Stockdale

Defenders (7) - Jacobson, Grimmer, McCarthy, Stewart, Knight, Charles, Tafazolli

Midfield (9) - Thompson, Gape, Adeniran, Bloomfield, Freeman, Pattison, McCleary, Horgan, Wheeler

Forwards (6) - Bayo, Ikpeazu, Kashket, Onyedinma, Samuel, Parker

So that's 24 but if we still have to count Phillips then we are full up.

• edited November 2020

At the moment Phillips is due back in January, but if his loan gets extended / we send him somewhere else then yeah. Probably a decent chance Freeman goes out on loan as well.

• Parker looks unlikely to get a game. Perhaps another one to go out on loan to give us more flexibility.

• @Glenactico said:
    Impressive again. Seemed to stifle Brentford, resulting in few chances going their way. Although Rocky did have to make one excellent save.

We are playing consistently well and, if we are to stay up, need to find more goals when we’re on top. Fred’s cross was begging to be knocked in at the back post. At the moment we look a striker away from being a mid table Championship side.

Agree.. we look a side that are hard to beat just need goals to get more wins on the table.

• @Shev said:
    Our form is respectable mid-table over the last 5 too: 2 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. Those pesky 7 losses to open are going to hurt, but if we could continue to average 8 points every 5 games, we would be fine!

Doesn't that run coincide with Bayo's return?

• And Josh Knight’s arrival.

• We are now showing we can compete in this league, which is fantastic. However we probably need close to 40 points in the remaining fixtures to give us a chance of staying up. Defensively we look more and more sound but my concern is can we score enough goals to get us the wins we need. Currently 6 goals in 12 games is well below par. We do have some exciting forwards now but we need some to come in over the next few months with half a dozen goals each to compensate for a lack of a prolific goal scorer. I remain optimistic.

• Christ, I wouldn't want to hear you when you're being pessimistic!

• @eric_plant - as always another insightful comment. We certainly will put out the flags when you say something constructive or vaguely interesting.

• What was the handbags about anyone any info. Looked like Toney was frustrated about something (which is good) and was their manager having a go at Bayo?

• Think Toney was grabbing Grimmer at the final whistle and grimmer pushed him off and Toney recited by pushing out at Grims.....and cue handbags. Nothing in it but fun to see the Brentford mgr wanting to get involved with Bayo telling him not to bother. ??

• Bayo had his hands together as if praying when trading words with Frank. I think imploring Frank to just let it pass.

• I think it was just pure frustration from a side who thought just turning up would get them the win. Has Ivan Toney ever had a great game against us? I've not seen one live.

Another good performance yesterday. Apart from one great save from Allsop Brentford showed little of their pre game billing as being in a false position. Good that Gape got some game time and will benefit for it. Thompson covered his shortcomings whilst he gets up to speed.

Still worth saying I am missing not going to games and I really think they suffer for not having crowds. Yesterday felt at times like a pre season match without the level of intensity that a crowd would create and to some degree demand. I think we would have won with a crowd yesterday

• He took us apart for Peterborough in the game at London Rd last season