Skip to content

Match day thread: Brentford

Comments

• Peterborough continue to stink League One

• Knight is utter and pure class...looks like the next Mawson, he had Toney in his pocket . alsopp was also superb, really hope Scotty is ok as he was brilliant , tbh I thought Samuel looked great also when he came on , Bayo looked tired but we cannot always rely on him.(we do though!) really positive performance....let's keep it up!

• The day just keep getting better, thought I'd have a quick look on the Sunderland forum, that's going to be some serious Saturday evening entertainment on it's own !

• Knight and Adeniran have been superb loanees without any doubt.

Great to see Gape get a run out in and that we didn't fall apart for the last 20mins with only 1 of the 3 @aloysius mentions as being critical.

Presuming Adeniran is being earmarked for Tuesday, maybe with Gape dropping back out.

Hope Kashket is ok too. He's been one of the big success stories and changes the way we play.

• I think we have to rely on Bayo as a definite starter until such time as Uche is fit to play. We look so lightweight and ineffective without a target man. Bayo's usefulness in defending corners and free kick is underrated.

• edited November 2020

Bayo won't be able to start every game, we need a more effective way of playing without him - and it'll come, it's just not an overnight job. I still think Samuel has a big part to play as a hold-up man when we're without a true target man, but we'd need to balance the loss of Bayo with greater creativity from midfield - which Mehmeti could give us in time. Hopefully Uche back soon though.

• Agree there @mooneyman on Bayo starting. It seems an odd thing to say but the player we are missing most, given he's only played 20/30mins, might be Ickpeazu?
    We'd be able to rotate Bayo and as Ickpeazu seemed a bit more mobile he might create better openings for Kashkett, Horgan, Fred etc.
    I'm really looking forward to seeing him (Ickpeazu) play now we're "up to speed" elsewhere.
    Keeping the better midfielders injury free, as far as possible, will be crucial to keeping us competitive.
    Roll on Tuesday ...

• Has there been update on Uche’s injury and when he might be back? We need a target man to get the best out of our team, hence the importance of Bayo. I am going to have to disagree with @chairboyscentral , I don’t see Samuel as a viable option at this level.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Peterborough lost to a 90th minute winner

Sunderland conceded 93rd minute equalizer too. Obviously they are not as relevant, being outside the playoffs again, but still...

• @davecz said:
    Has there been update on Uche’s injury and when he might be back? We need a target man to get the best out of our team, hence the importance of Bayo. I am going to have to disagree with @chairboyscentral , I don’t see Samuel as a viable option at this level.

Samuel was excellent against Millwall, he'll have his part to play.

• @Shev said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Peterborough lost to a 90th minute winner

Sunderland conceded 93rd minute equalizer too. Obviously they are not as relevant, being outside the playoffs again, but still...

The funniest thing is if League One ended on PPG now, Peterborough would drop out of the autos.

• Must have been a really good performance. We’ve gone nearly an hour since the final whistle without an appearance on here from @trevor

• Only one defeat in games. Once again we look like a championship side

• @trevor's found another less stressful hobby perhaps?

• @Mr67 said:
    Only one defeat in games. Once again we look like a championship side

This is what I am really enjoying - we really feel like we belong, every game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wins against the teams around us. Draws against 'better' teams will do.

• edited November 2020

@fame_46 said:

Midfield is full of industry but without the creativity to unlock. You know what you will get with Thompson, Horgan and Gape but key passes and goals aren't high up the list. Memheti may be that in time but is unlikely to consistently do it this season.

Horgan's made more key passes than anyone bar JJ - and I wouldn't lump him in with the midfielders. He makes so much space for himself and, again apart from JJ, is by far the best crosser in the side. The issue is what we get on the end of it - our movement in the box could certainly improve, although I guess generally it's a case of Bayo causing his usual carnage and reacting to that as it happens.

• Ideally you'd have two players like Kashket. A starter and a sub impact player.

Samuel has a very distinct skill set, but threat from the bench he is not.

Not sure if he's ever played in a two with Bayo. That might be an option at some stage with Kashket to come on fresh late on.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Wins against the teams around us. Draws against 'better' teams will do.

Huge game away at Derby next weekend.

If we can come through Huddersfield and Derby with 4 points or better everything will look much much rosier.

• We must keep Josh Knight. Anyone pals with Leicester's owners?

• Josh Knight will play for England, I said a few weeks ago that he was our most impressive loanee since Steven Taylor, but taking into account the level of opposition we are facing, I would see he is surpassing Taylor,Mawson,Eze.

• @Malone said:
    Ideally you'd have two players like Kashket. A starter and a sub impact player.

Samuel has a very distinct skill set, but threat from the bench he is not.

Not sure if he's ever played in a two with Bayo. That might be an option at some stage with Kashket to come on fresh late on.

I wouldn't mind seeing Horgan off Bayo as an alternative to Kashket - same energy and probably not far off in terms of pace, great finishing ability and easily our best player technically.

Bayo and Samuel have played up front together, although I can't remember when exactly - I don't think it worked too well, they don't complement each other.

• @Shev said:
    We must keep Josh Knight. Anyone pals with Leicester's owners?

Absolutely, he oozes class. Guy Branston is in charge of all of the loanees at Leicester. I’m sure that might have been helpful in getting him in the first place

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If Samuel is going to be a target man he's going to have to stop going down at the slightest touch. Got a bit silly today even in the short time he was on.

Thought we played really well today. I can only echo what others have said about Josh Knight, he is absolute class. He oozes quality.

I do believe we're going to stay up you know

• @Shev said:
    We must keep Josh Knight. Anyone pals with Leicester's owners?

I always order a Thai beer with my meal when we go to a Thai restaurant. Will that do?

• Leicester won't want Knight back, but they might want him to have half a season at a club higher up the league. Then again, how likely is at that a team going for the play-offs/promotion will need a CB? And why risk disrupting his development when Wycombe has been proven to be an excellent place for young loanees to develop? I think we'll manage to hold on to him.

• I think Horgan has been excellent. He's created plenty, but the chances have not been put away.

Really good point today. 1st half was a bit of a struggle, but we contained Brentford well. 2nd half we came into the game much more and looked the more likely winners. Knight was indeed superb, as was Thompson. Horgan got better as the game wore on, which was surprising given the amount of games he's played recently. Also a very impressive cameo from Samuel of the bench.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Leicester won't want Knight back, but they might want him to have half a season at a club higher up the league. Then again, how likely is at that a team going for the play-offs/promotion will need a CB? And why risk disrupting his development when Wycombe has been proven to be an excellent place for young loanees to develop? I think we'll manage to hold on to him.

Think the decision will be based on finances rather than a will they/won't they options. Don't forget he was drafted in when big Taff was injured.