Skip to content

Championship Manager Sackings

Well, well, weel, those of you who had a punt on Sabri Lamouchi at Forest being the first to go will be seeing a nice pay day from the bookies.

Apparently Chris Houghton has been appointed in his place.

So much for thos pundits who thought GA would go first - how little they understand our club culture.

Comments

• Writing on wall after falling away last term ansd starting so badly. Houghton not very inspiring but he's done it (promotion) thrice before so probably a good call.

• Payoffs and buying in new management staff will.probably cost more than our whole season's outgoings!

• I’m n> @Erroll_Sims said:

Well, well, weel, those of you who had a punt on Sabri Lamouchi at Forest being the first to go will be seeing a nice pay day from the bookies.

Hold your horses...

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2020/october/struber-departs/

Admittedly he went of his own accord but I’m not sure how the bookies frame the question

• And Sabri had hired a whole new coaching team over the (very short) summer break, presumably they will all lose their jobs too?

• *Hughton

• I think the announcements about sackings are longer and more heartfelt in the Championship Manager game, 18 words (including his name) and a replacement named 30 minutes later.

• It's always something like "Club X would like to place on record their gratitude for the efforts of Manager X, and he will always be considered part of the Club X family."

For once, I would love to see something like "Club X fans will remember that 5-0 home loss last November, especially those two illogical substitutions. It was at that point we realized Manager X was not up to it. However, we gave him a few more chances, and he continued to be awful, so we sacked him."

• @Shev said:
    It's always something like "Club X would like to place on record their gratitude for the efforts of Manager X, and he will always be considered part of the Club X family."

For once, I would love to see something like "Club X fans will remember that 5-0 home loss last November, especially those two illogical substitutions. It was at that point we realized Manager X was not up to it. However, we gave him a few more chances, and he continued to be awful, so we sacked him."

Club Spokesman commented "We recognise he came highly recommended and had achieved some success elsewhere but we found him to be gobby, tactically inept and not someone who's company you'd enjoy"

Assistant coach Mr X added "He was a bit of an arse really and few of the players liked or respected him"

Our owner added "I gave that sod millions and we aren't in the Premier League, must be his fault entirely"

The captain wished to add "no idea what he was on about most of the time, can't believe he dropped me"

• Never quite sure what to make of Monk's managerial career. Did a great job at Swansea, was very good at Leeds until they imploded in his last few games and missed the play-offs on the last game of the season and promptly resigned when the new owners took over.

Cannot comment much on Boro wasn't there long enough. Birmingham were under transfer embargos, points deductions and he did well. Same issues at Sheff Weds.

However, he always seemed to be having an argument with someone and a bit abrasive.
    Be interesting to see what happens to Weds, I think they might really struggle now, which could of course benefit us.

Derby takeover looks like it might go through as well, so could be bye bye Cocu. The Saudi Sheikh taking over was apparently behind the team trying to buy Newcastle...

• I know ownership is a contentious issue anyway as we all know too well, but given the draconian laws and cultural norms in some of their countries I'm not sure I would be happy with a middle eastern owner. Having seen the constant churn of managers and players and lack of real progression that were inflicted on the Reds under Kuwaiti owners though...I'm pleased for Derby. :smiley:

• So the owner couldn't buy Newcastle! But Derby? Oh the EFL & FA are bufoons.

• I'm confused. This guy isn't Saudi. He's from the UAE.

• The bloke who wants to buy Derby is from Abu Dhabi in the UAE. He is a cousin of the bloke who owns Man City. The bloke who wanted to buy Newcastle is from Saudi Arabia.

Why does he want to buy Derby? Probably to get Rooney's autograph.

• More colossally rich owners is just what football needs.

• edited November 2020

Article is here, he is from UAE and not a Saudi - my bad!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54841095

It's not particularly well written but I think this was another group that threatened to takeover Newcastle and not the one that failed the EFL fit & proper test.

A bit more info here:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/takeover-never-was-bin-zayed-19234285

• Pulis in at SW

• edited November 2020

@Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Pulis in at SW

Can you do it on a wet midweeker away at Wednesday?

• edited November 2020

Wayne Rooney supported by John Gregory is the rumour at the moment

• Yet again...contract pay-offs and then new contracts probably equal our wage bill!

• Maybe the owner can sell the stadium back to the club to fund it.

• Not championship but just watched focus interview with Harry Kewell now at Oldham. He keeps getting jobs but has he actually been successful anywhere as a manager?

• Once met Harry Kewell in Sydney Airport

• A kind of success for Harry.

• not a Championship sacking, but I see that Phil Parkinson has been relieved of his duties. at the Mackems.

• I am sure relieved is the right word, too! Tinpot club with delusions of grandeur, trying to start a rivalry with big clubs like Wycombe.

• Also they can't try and tempt GA to move to them with the promise (?) of Championship football potential.???

• As the mackem fans seem to hate most of their players amd a lot of other L1 managers as well it sounds like a bit of a mess up there! They seem to want a high profile manager but its hard to see how the club at the moment will attract one. Gary Monk?

• Would the Cowleys go there? It sounded like they wanted autonomy at Huddersfield that they weren't going to get, but Sunderland don't currently have a DoF.