Skip to content

Match day thread: Brentford

Comments

• I see on the club's twitter account , it says that Gape and McCarthy in match day squad. Excellent news. No mention of Uche. Fifth of the way through the season and hardly seen our 'major' signing. Disappointing. Is he just unlucky or have we bought someone who is injured most of the time. Our own ' Sicknote'

• Dreamt about Jason Cousins last night. Must be a good sign.

• edited November 2020

No idea what the Uche situation is, but can we please eradicate the term 'sicknote' from the football vocabulary? I'm sure we've all been frustrated by consistently injured players at some point, but very rarely is it their fault and terms like that are just insulting. Repetitive injuries can be mentally devastating for a professional athlete who just wants to compete and do their best.

• Spot on @chairboyscentral

There was a time a lot of Wycombe fans would've tarred Charles with the same brush. Look how that turned out.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Spot on @chairboyscentral

There was a time a lot of Wycombe fans would've tarred Charles with the same brush. Look how that turned out.

Great point. I can admit to wondering what on earth Gareth was playing at keeping him on after a season playing about 6 games.

Good thing the manager tends to know best!

• edited November 2020

@davecz said:
    I see on the club's twitter account , it says that Gape and McCarthy in match day squad. Excellent news. No mention of Uche. Fifth of the way through the season and hardly seen our 'major' signing. Disappointing. Is he just unlucky or have we bought someone who is injured most of the time. Our own ' Sicknote'

If it was missing games with numerous different niggles and most of them down to his own unprofessionalism, criticism might be valid.

But a lingering hamstring injury surely isn't his fault is it?

Frustrating yes - but I doubt Uche is exactly cock a hoop at the situation either.

• It's his ankle this time, which he has a history of problems with, but he seemed to be doing fine at the end of his time at Hearts. Quite a few of this squad have bounced back from bad injuries / got over recurring ones - Uche's just had awful recent luck.

• edited November 2020

Hamstring and ankle so far then....maybe davezzzz was right ;)

At least Bayo is back. When both were out we really did have a problem.

• Bayo v Pontus Jansson could be fun - Jansson is quite ... intense.

• @Malone said:

Hopefully he is just unlucky. It wasn’t a criticism of him just an observation. Good news about Bayo. We need a focal point for our attack.

• @davecz said:

@Malone said:

Hopefully he is just unlucky. It wasn’t a criticism of him just an observation. Good news about Bayo. We need a focal point for our attack.

Will be interesting to see if Gareth thinks Samuel is worth a start for the high press, that had high success v their team in the cup.

Although Gareth is smart. He'll realise more than anyone that the lineup we played against that day was at "60%" (in his words) strength.
    Although clearly we were under strength that day too with no Bayo for one. And down to ten for another!!

• Our old friend Swann is at it again with his truly disturbing obsession with Wycombe. In a piece where he rubbished Scotland qualifying for the European championship finals, he wrote:
    ‘Scotland’s achievement was still more worthy than Wycombe Wanderers’ winning promotion to the Championship on a flawed points per game formula’
    I think he might be in need of help, poor man.

• Just wait for us to stay up. Peterborough to blow up.
    Then everyone can write him an individual comment on the situation.

Until then forget him.

• When I pop down to my local greengrocers this weekend I’ll see if they’ve got any sour grapes in stock so I can send on to him

• Has anybody tried 'casting/mirror linking' from their android phone to a smart TV?

• Gape starts!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Trying to get my head around the CB situation. No word of a Charles injury, but we go without a CB on the bench (McCarthy is really an emergency option there). If Charles wasn't fit / his condition is worsening, why did we let Phillips go out on loan? Seems like Burley isn't deemed first-team ready yet.

• Thought I'd seen someone say it's 5 subs from 7. But subs are up to 9 now.

Options galore!

Good to see Gape back. But I'd have thought Adeniran was now a key player for us.

• @Malone Someone said Adeniran took a knock v Birmingham? I remember him coming off but never picked up on that. Maybe just being careful with him. I guess his driving from midfield / ball-carrying is less important with Bayo firmly back in the side, but he has been brilliant and I hope he's back soon!

• @woodlands said:
    Has anybody tried 'casting/mirror linking' from their android phone to a smart TV?

Can’t speak for Android but on the iOS app they’ve helpfully disabled casting. Might have more luck from video loaded in the browser.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Trying to get my head around the CB situation. No word of a Charles injury, but we go without a CB on the bench (McCarthy is really an emergency option there). If Charles wasn't fit / his condition is worsening, why did we let Phillips go out on loan? Seems like Burley isn't deemed first-team ready yet.

Tafazolli is injured and perhaps Charles was injured after Phillips loan was agreed.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Trying to get my head around the CB situation. No word of a Charles injury, but we go without a CB on the bench (McCarthy is really an emergency option there). If Charles wasn't fit / his condition is worsening, why did we let Phillips go out on loan? Seems like Burley isn't deemed first-team ready yet.

I always enjoy the full fit squad message on a Friday followed by a list of the players injured and out on a Saturday.
    Think you are being a bit harsh on McCarthy as a centre back option. He'll do ok and for me would be above Charles and Phillips on the depth chart.

• Got to love the banging 80s hair metal anthems blasting out of the obviously radically enhanced AP PA system on i-follow. Just tuned in on my TV and already heard Quiet Riot, Ratt, and Motley Crue... I can 100% guarantee there won't be another ground in the land with anything like that play list. Obviously influenced by Pete Couhig and GA. I love this club!

• I know Taf is injured, but there's been no mention of a Charles injury - I assumed he was just down the pecking order

• But surely not far enough not to be on the bench?

• Assuming BBC website is correct, when was the last time we named more subs than the opposition?

• Love Nathan Jones comparing Luton to Man City or PSG.

• Tough game today. Really need Bayo to rough up Jansson early on to give us a focus

• How do I follow issues again despite being a season ticket holder had to pay to get in need to sort that out and get a refund next week what a crap service