Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Odd situation on the face of it. Does well in the youth set up, looks more than capable when he breaks into the side, gets a Scotland U19s call up and then walks away.

• @floyd said:
    Odd situation on the face of it. Does well in the youth set up, looks more than capable when he breaks into the side, gets a Scotland U19s call up and then walks away.

He had the chance of a sought after scholarship didn't he? Or at least a degree somewhere prestigious?

And decided that was a better bet for his future than the very uncertain life of a lower league footballer.
    A brave call as a teen!

• Looks like him to me.

• @perfidious_albion said:

@floyd said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    McFlurry’s lob vs Torquay at Plainmoor possibly one of the most important goals in the clubs history?

One of those rare days the ice cream machine was working.

He drove me wild. Decent touch and mostly decent finisher but SO soft for a big centre forward. Had to temper my constant raging once I realised his dad sat in front of me in the Beachdean most games - whoops?

Similar thing happened to me at a Carlisle away game. I was sitting with my mate who lives in Carlisle and having a real pop at Scott Shearer. At half time a woman in a party of about 6 sitting a couple of rows in front turned round and said in a soft Scottish accent ' He's doing his best' . Turned out it was the Shearer family on tour - I made him MOTM second half.

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:
    Odd situation on the face of it. Does well in the youth set up, looks more than capable when he breaks into the side, gets a Scotland U19s call up and then walks away.

He had the chance of a sought after scholarship didn't he? Or at least a degree somewhere prestigious?

And decided that was a better bet for his future than the very uncertain life of a lower league footballer.
    A brave call as a teen!

Seems like from @DevC's link he made the right choice. Hard for most of us to imagine there could be a more attractive option than playing for Wycombe Wanderers.

• @micra, you've definitely Googled the wrong George there. As @ChasHarps says he must be in his mid to late 60s.

Remember him being very "vocal" as a full back. His choice language echoing around the bottom cow shed at Loakes Park.

It seems he played for a Millwall XI v Wycombe as far back at 1976 and Carolina Lightning, I believe, before joining Wycombe.

• George Borg is 62 (if my maths and the press report from the Isthmian league is correct). When he joined Enfield in Dec 2013 it says he was 55

• Jamie Mascoll scores the winner for Bolton in a 3-2 against Newcastle U21 in the EFL Trophy.

• @bookertease said:
    George Borg is 62 (if my maths and the press report from the Isthmian league is correct). When he joined Enfield in Dec 2013 it says he was 55

Thanks @bookertease. Yes, I’ve checked back through some of the source material I read earlier and one item showed his year of birth as 1968. Clearly ten years out.

I remember how foul mouthed he was but after reading some of the comments about him on a couple of fans’ forums I got the impression that he wasn’t very nice at all.
    And that is quite an understatement !

• In the FA Disciplinary Commission on 26 January 2015 it says "GB presented a deal of written and oral character evidence. We considered it all. When interviewed by the FA he said he was 56 years old...". Presumably that interview was just before this commission.

More details here: https://www.thefa.com/news/2015/jan/28/george-borg-burnham-ramblers-aggravated-misconduct

• @micra said:

@bookertease said:
    George Borg is 62 (if my maths and the press report from the Isthmian league is correct). When he joined Enfield in Dec 2013 it says he was 55

Thanks @bookertease. Yes, I’ve checked back through some of the source material I read earlier and one item showed his year of birth as 1968. Clearly ten years out.

I remember how foul mouthed he was but after reading some of the comments about him on a couple of fans’ forums I got the impression that he wasn’t very nice at all.
    And that is quite an understatement !

One of my childhood heroes and Cowshed favourite was George Borg, I met him along with another of my schoolboy icons Terry Glynn a few years ago, both extremely pleasant gentleman, George a tad more passionate and boisterous than Terry, but what a character and what a fine left back.
    I vaguely remember a story of when we played, Chesham (I think) in a B&B or friendly when he was manager at the Meadow, and he had his old Wanderers top under his tracksuit.

• I had your childhood heroes down as John Randell and Datchett Webb @ChasHarps...

• It was always Charley Harper for me, @bookertease

• George a gentleman?! I’m sure his chirpy cockney manner (and Terry’s for that matter) had a transient and superficial charm but I can’t comment on TG other than to say that when my wife nursed him at the Bon Secours hospital in Beaconsfield many moons ago he had to ask her who the Pope was! Proper “lad” of course and, for all we know, might have been winding her up.

George’s chequered management career appears to have been littered with
    examples of offensive racist, misogynistic and other highly provocative outpourings.

As a fellow cowshed dweller through the ‘seventies and ‘eighties I too enjoyed watching George play and admired his combative, never say die style. I was obsessed enough in those days to go, one Wednesday afternoon, to watch the Reserves at Wembley. Wembley Town, that is. As I stood by the rail a few yards from the touchline George reacted to something with his customary “fuckin’ hell”, eliciting the impressively swift response of “bet you hope they do” from a nearby Wembley fan.

• @ChasHarps said:
    In that case he signed for Wanderers as a 12 year old !! Must be at least 62.

I was just thinking something along those lines. I watched Chesham United when he was manager round about 1990. He would have had to have retired from playing before the age of 22 and have greyed very prematurely!

• You’ve come late to the party @HCblue.
    This one has been done to death, mainly by me, and we are all agreed he is either 61 or 62.

• Nathan Tyson features in a Forest podcast discussing the racist abuse he received as a player. From Nottingham Post with a link to the podcast https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/uncomfortable-conversation-nathan-tyson-reveals-4718949

• @arnos_grove said:
    Nathan Tyson features in a Forest podcast discussing the racist abuse he received as a player. From Nottingham Post with a link to the podcast https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/uncomfortable-conversation-nathan-tyson-reveals-4718949

Dreadful stuff, and worrying how it seems to have been so frequent!

And on another note, while not an ex player- I noticed upon scrolling away from that page that Junior Agogo died at 40 after having a stroke at 35. Truly dreadful!

• @micra said:
    You’ve come late to the party @HCblue.
    This one has been done to death, mainly by me, and we are all agreed he is either 61 or 62.

Yup. Replied as I read through the thread and saw the subsequent replies subsequently!

• Craig Eastmond scored a last kick equaliser for Sutton away at Wealdstone. 3-3

• Max Kretzchmar scores again for Woking. Getting quite prolific now with 24 goals in 79 games.

1. But Barclays Bank sent me a mug earlier this year, following a relatively minor altercation over some banking irregularity, with the Wanderers badge on one side and “100% Wycombe since 1938” emblazoned on the other side. I was happier with the £50 credited to my account!
  • Not sure how that format came about!

• Dayle Southwell, no less, scores in the FA Cup second round

• Aaron Pierre sent off for violent conduct. Did someone tell him he wasn't having a very good game?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Aaron Pierre sent off for violent conduct. Did someone tell him he wasn't having a very good game?

Was it a proper vicious action or just enough to leave a little bit of strawberry jam on someone's forehead?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Aaron Pierre sent off for violent conduct. Did someone tell him he wasn't having a very good game?

Any evidence of tomato sauce?

• Anthony Straker sent off for Waterlooville.

• Another former Chairboy sent off today, Anthony Straker for Havant & Waterlooville, second yellow.