Skip to content

Sad news of Ray Clemence

Ray sadly lost his battle with Cancer this weekend. A tremendous keeper in an era of great English keepers. Always came across as intelligent and charming. Did he not present the FA Trophy at one of our wins at Wembley.

Comments

• Very sad news. A great goalkeeper and a smashing bloke I was privileged to know well.

• So sad. I was blessed to see Ray a number of times in goal for Liverpool and England. I have just seen a wonderful tribute by Bob Wilson. May Ray RIP.

• Bob Wilson said that Bert Trautmann was, his hero. Living in Sale in the 1950s Bert was mine. I remember diving on the concrete in the school playground and my back yard, pretending to be Bert. Ray became a hero of mine even though I loved Big Joe Corrigan.

• Clemence was magnificent. 61 caps and do you remember he had to alternate England games with Peter Stilton as the England management couldn’t decide who was better?

• I really pee'd him off as a boy walking towards him down the fairway with my autograph book at a charity golf day. I didn't know what a fairway was - I was only really into football!

So Ray and the others were waving their arms at me and my brother telling us to get off the course and there we are waving back!

Eventually I figured it out so we moved out to the rough. We watched a few of them tee off before I loudly asked Ray for his autograph just as someone approached the tee. Ray and the others were not happy with us but I still got his autograph eventually.

Anyway, that's my only real memory of him in a sporting sense although I've obviously seen plenty from the archives, particularly for Liverpool.

Legend - RIP.