Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Practice match v Bournemouth U21s

13ยป

Comments

  • edited November 2020

    Parker scored 10 in League One one season.

  • You can see why they signed him, he offers something different and he's been ok on some of the rare occasions he's played, if not massively impressive but I don't think anyone is suggesting he's been a success.

  • @Malone said:
    Interesting reading different views on Parker.
    I think it's a real stretch to describe his signing as a success. He's barely been near the pitch and surely won't now we've got out main man back.
    The negative comparison of Wheeler against him is interesting too. Wheeler scored 20+ goals in a season in the past. Would have to check Parker's record but k doubt he's come close to that?

    Truth is we simply have much better options between Bayo and Samuel as very different target men. Uche adds even more competition there.
    Kashket provides something totally different in pace and finishing.
    So it's very unlikely he'll get in over any of those.
    And out wide he has Fred, Horgan, Wheeler and now McCleary to compete with.

    Not sure anyone is being negative against Wheeler. We are discussing his attributes. The 20 goal return came from his Exeter days in league 2 I believe. Very different from shoehorning into the team as an auxiliary forward in the championship.

    Clearly it would be an injury crisis would be Parkers route back in but we are making assumptions on a player who has had very little game time. In a case a loan in January maybe on the cards who knows what the managers plans are for him.

    Regardless of that, he was one of 25 or so important players who helped us get promotion last season. I view that as a success personally.

  • @chairboyscentral said:
    @our_frank Not a clue sorry, I think this was the only photo he appeared in

    I think his head is offside but could VAR check that please?

  • Just to add...I meant no slight as I think Wheels is an excellent player just not a target man in my opinion.

  • @Wendoverman said:
    Just to add...I meant no slight as I think Wheels is an excellent player just not a target man in my opinion.

    It was unfortunate that Ickpeazu was injured because he was due to play. I can understand why we tried Wheels as his heading ability is outstanding, but he was up against two excellent central defenders and was nowhere near as effective as he is out wide.
    It also left JJ in a lot of 1v.2 situations against Chrisitie and Knockaert, two PL standard players.

  • But why not play Fred there? He knows what to do in the centre, we've seen him do it.

  • @glasshalffull said:

    @Wendoverman said:
    Just to add...I meant no slight as I think Wheels is an excellent player just not a target man in my opinion.

    It was unfortunate that Ickpeazu was injured because he was due to play. I can understand why we tried Wheels as his heading ability is outstanding, but he was up against two excellent central defenders and was nowhere near as effective as he is out wide.
    It also left JJ in a lot of 1v.2 situations against Chrisitie and Knockaert, two PL standard players.

    It was a good point you made in commentary about that.

    Winning attacking headers against full backs is something he's very good at, headers in defending positions as well.
    But winning headers from long balls in a central position against taller players who are coming on to the ball, a much tougher proposition.

  • @Malone said:

    @glasshalffull said:

    @Wendoverman said:
    Just to add...I meant no slight as I think Wheels is an excellent player just not a target man in my opinion.

    It was unfortunate that Ickpeazu was injured because he was due to play. I can understand why we tried Wheels as his heading ability is outstanding, but he was up against two excellent central defenders and was nowhere near as effective as he is out wide.
    It also left JJ in a lot of 1v.2 situations against Chrisitie and Knockaert, two PL standard players.

    It was a good point you made in commentary about that.

    Winning attacking headers against full backs is something he's very good at, headers in defending positions as well.
    But winning headers from long balls in a central position against taller players who are coming on to the ball, a much tougher proposition.

    Yes. We noticed that on the couple of occasions when he moved wider and ran in towards the ball, he was successful but less good when more stationary in a central position.

  • @drcongo said:
    But why not play Fred there? He knows what to do in the centre, we've seen him do it.

    I could not agree more!

  • Iโ€™m not sure Iโ€™ve seen Fred challenging central defenders for high balls in a central position but I have seen what he can do centrally if he cuts inside or receives the ball on the deck in a central position. Not really a target man but capable of creating mayhem in the that area with the right pass.

  • For our style of play he's neither at home holding the ball up or heading it. So you can quite clearly see why he's not been used too often up front.

    Like many of our forwards you dare say they'd work well in a 2 with Bayo.

  • Bayo with Fred sounds good but probably not as telepathic as Bayo and Scotty.
    You didnโ€™t answer when I called out on the Training Ground thread so Iโ€™m off to bed.
    Night all.

13ยป
Sign In or Register to comment.