Skip to content

Match day thread: Nottingham Forest

Comments

• To be fair to Bayo and as @bluntphil pointed out he was almost always occupying two defenders therefore creating a bit of space

• Like I said.

• Oh well, could be worse, losing to the side sitting 90th in the FL in the 1st round of the FA Cup (Sunderland)

• Concentrating on the League.

• I thought Bayo had two decent chances actually @micra

• Allsopp didnt do very well on either goal.

• Save from Arter was top class though

• @ChasHarps said:
    Allsopp didnt do very well on either goal.

Nope.... and punched an easy catch

• Alsopp probably let in 2 he should of done better with (not mistakes though), then stopped one he had no right to save

• Not sure how he was at fault for the second

• That’s the difference in this league over and over. Their top striker has 2/2 goals/chances our top striker has 0/4

• The thing about Allsopp, for me at least, is even if you think he's an ok keeper I can't see how you don't think we could do better

It just seems so obvious to me but enough people seem to disagree so maybe I'm wrong

• We could do better, but we obviously thought it wasn't a top priority / the right person wasn't available.

• The management team and the whole squad obviously rate Rocky highly, hence that bit in Close Quarters where he’s surprised to learn that not all the fans do. If they trust him, I trust him.

• Neither goals were mistakes by allsop for me. He maybe could've done better on the second but he simply couldn't reach the cross for the first one. It was a very good cross to be fair. We could of course have a better keeper but he gets a whole load of stick when he's done nothing wrong in my opinion.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Mccleary will be hard to shift once he is fully fit if he can keep that level of performance. I assume Wheeler was chosen for heading ability but I would have preferred Samuel with Scotty myself.

First thoughts are a lot more promising than my Reading pal's comments on him. Saying that he'd totally lost all of his pace. Looked sprightly today, and looks to have real class on the ball.

Adds even more debate on how we fit in Wheeler, Horgan, Fred and now McCleary.

Freeman and Parker might need to have a taster of football elsewhere in Jan. Presuming that's allowed;

• McCleary looks like a proper old school winger, should be a great fit for us

• @BushGoose said:
    Neither goals were mistakes by allsop for me. He maybe could've done better on the second but he simply couldn't reach the cross for the first one. It was a very good cross to be fair. We could of course have a better keeper but he gets a whole load of stick when he's done nothing wrong in my opinion.

I tend to this view as far as today went.

• First goal reminded me of Oxford's in the playoff final, second goal a bullet, no?

• Shame about the goals against the run of play as we looked at least an equal match with Forest for most of the game. Clearly Taylor made the difference, taking his chances when we didn’t.

I’d hold Knight most at fault for the first goal. He needs to throw everything at the man and ball to prevent the striker making a clean contact.

Still, another pretty good display and on another day it could have been points shared.

• Decent performance again today. Thought moving Wheeler up front was an odd move but we looked fairly fluent for the most part.
    Another top performance for Curtis Thompson.

Disappointed another post match appraisal becomes about Allsop. High loopy far post crosses are his kryptonite and have been for ever. Most weeks we are ok stopping them coming in.

• Not all Watford goalkeeping performances are equal

• Agree with @Glenactico that Knight perhaps should have done better for the first but Taylor was excellent and the fact we did not seem to have the same sort of attacking outlet for an hour today cost us but it was still a decent performance from the boys against a team I would expect to make the playoffs at least.(Famous last words). Oh and we're above Derby.

• Can’t say I’ve any issues with the decision to play Wheeler through the middle, he played the same role in largely the same team against Norwich and was excellent. Including putting one on a plate for Scott Kashket.

Today he just couldn’t get any change out of two very strong centre-halves.

Clearly we do need to have an alternative to Bayo in terms of a forward who can win headers and hold the ball up. There’s no way Bayo can play every match given the crazy schedule we’ve got in front of us.

Ideally that would be Uche but if not then Wheeler, and Samuel will come into the mix. I also wouldn’t rule out giving Parker a chance. He played in that position for Charlton before signing for us, including in the League One play-off final. His hold up play is excellent and he’s quite effective in the air too.

• But where is he?

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Oh well, could be worse, losing to the side sitting 90th in the FL in the 1st round of the FA Cup (Sunderland)

70th surely? But point still stands.

• Clearly Ainsworth doesn’t fancy Parker . Seems nowhere near the team at the moment. Hardly played in League 1 . Clearly not going to play in Championship. Not sure why we signed him.

• Does seem odd.

• Forest have a great keeper. Samba inspires confidence in the back 4. Forest back 4 are solid today, then Christie at right back is able to start overlapping...oh dear that’s trouble for JJ because Knockaert is a handful down that side as well and without Wheeler to help , JJ is having to handle two Forest players with whoever is nearest (Memehti?) helping him. So loads of attacks down the Wycombe left side and crosses in = goal number one. Goal number two, Forest like to soak pressure and play on the break, have pace up front and Taylor is a great finisher. A top 6 side that suffered a shaky start to the season.

Wycombe are growing into this division. Horgan, Fred, Thompson excellent today. Kashket and Wheeler a little lost in that formation (but excellent in other games this season). McCleary is an out and out winger and should start the next game, would like to see more of him but who do you drop out? The team is getting better and better and maybe just maybe we can stay in this division. Need to be better than three other teams. Derby, Coventry and Rotherham maybe?