Skip to content

Same club 3 (or more) away grounds

Been trying to think of clubs we have played at least 3 away venues (excluding neutral venues for cup finals)
Have come up with 3 :
Bristol Rovers: Eastville , Twerton Park and The Memorial Ground.
Slough Town :The Dolphin , Wrexham Park and Arbor Park
Corinthian casuals: Champion Hill Dulwich , Sandy Lane Tooting and The Oval.

I expect I have missed a few.

Comments

• edited November 2020

Rotherham
    Brighton

Coventry would have been another if we had played the away fixture last season.

• Did we ever playWimbledon at Plough Lane? If so, you could add them (the other grounds being Selhurst Park and Kingsmeadow). If not, I’m sure we will play at the new Plough Lane at some point

• Rotherham oh yes forgot about them. Not sure about Brighton we played them at the Goldstone ground and the Withdean . Don’t think we played them at the Amex but did we play them when they ground shared at Gillingham?

• @Glenactico said:
    Did we ever playWimbledon at Plough Lane? If so, you could add them (the other grounds being Selhurst Park and Kingsmeadow). If not, I’m sure we will play at the new Plough Lane at some point

Spurious that one?

• Better than if they had mentioned the 2 grounds at MK

• @Mr67 said:
    Rotherham oh yes forgot about them. Not sure about Brighton we played them at the Goldstone ground and the Withdean . Don’t think we played them at the Amex but did we play them when they ground shared at Gillingham?

We never played at Gillingham, though I thought we had. Just Rotherham then that I can recall since the early 90's.

I'm guessing one of our Berks and Bucks teams might fit in to this criteria

• Coventry join the list later this season.

• Do neutral grounds count? We've played Oxford at the Manor, Kassam, and Wembley.

• I think @Mr67 was pretty clear on the rules...

• Re-Wimbledon they were in the Isthmian League up to about the early 60s so we would’ve played them at Plough Lane around that time. Also that’s jogged my memory I member going to watch us play them in a preseason friendly at Plough Lane in the mid 70s so they can certainly be added to the list.No, appearances at cup finals at neutral venues don’t count.

• Staines Town's previous name was Staines Lagonda and we played then in the Amateur Cup in 1924 before they had moved to Wheatsheaf lane. In the early 80's, I think the 82-83 season, I remember travelling to Hayes, Church rd ground to see the Wanderers. Staines had problems with there ground and had to play a number of their home games there.

• @Mr67 said:
    Been trying to think of clubs we have played at least 3 away venues (excluding neutral venues for cup finals)
    Have come up with 3 :

In 1936 Slough had to vacate the Dolphin stadium for a few years and played there home games at Maidenhead's York Rd, so we have seen the rebels on four different home venues.

• @Mr67 said:
    Have come up with 3 :

Another ground for Slough Town - we played them in the Isthmian League at Church Road, Hayes on 24 September 1974. I think they had left the Dolphin, but Wexham Park wasn't yet ready.

• 6 different grounds for Slough, we played them at Beaconsfield's Holloway rd in the B&B in 2011 when they were ground sharing.

• @ChasHarps make that five for Slough then.

• @NewburyWanderer They played at Maidenhead's York rd for a few years after 1936, when they had to vacate the Dolphin. We met a few times in that period.

• How about Oxford City? The White House, the Manor Ground (re-arranged game after the fire at AP), and Court Place Farm (but only for friendlies - do they count?).

• Aylesbury United didnt move to Turnfurlong until 1935, and we played them away in both the Fa and B&B cup in 1909/10 season. So along with Buckingham Rd would make 3.

• Brentford is four grounds weve played them at Shotts rd and York road before they moved to Griffin Park and there new stadium.

• Some interesting information on this site, now Wycombe related but the number of grounds teams have played at:
    https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/clubs-that-have-played-in-the-most-stadiums/

• What about Watford? Vicarage Road, Cassio Road and possibly another as they moved around quite a bit in the Southern League days.

• Yes Friendlies count

• @Mr67 said:
    Yes Friendlies count

Oh good, so ... Wealdstone (Lower Mead, Vicarage Road, Grosvenor Vale - last two - friendlies only).

• Always been intrigued as to how those who 'collect' grounds deal with places like Bournemouth (have we seen them at one or two different grounds?), also if we were to get drawn away at Spurs in the FAC this year (new ground or not?).
    We always think of Notts County forever playing at Meadow Lane, but didn't their ground get totally rebuilt in the space of one summer, not many years before we started playing them? New ground or not?

• I would say if the new ground merely occupies The site of the old ground as in Bournemouth and Tottenham then that doesn’t count. Of course as in across the pond I may be open to lawsuits on this matter.

I’ve seen us play Wealdstone at Lower Mead and friendlies at Grosvenor Vale Did we ever play them during their spell at vicarage Road? I don’t remember that but that doesn’t mean to say didn’t happen far from it.

• Weve played Marlow at 3 different home venues.
    Aldomeadow,Crown Meadow and Oak Tree rd.
    I dont believe we played at Star Meadow in which Marlow used as their home ground between 1919-28.

• Did we ever play Shrewsbury elsewhere when the old ground was flooded?

• @Mr67 yes, pre-season 1992-93 I think. I was there, have got a few photos. Might put them up if I get round to it.

• We have actually played Bristol Rovers at 4 different grounds. We played Eastville Rovers (rovers former name) in a friendly at the Rudgeway in the Fishponds area of the city in 1896, the season before they moved to Eastville.