Skip to content

Wanderers Great Leapers

Its been mentioned a lot on this forum about how good Dave Wheeler is in the air, just thinking of other deceptively good leapers the Chairboys have had in the past.
Tony Horseman (great jump for a small chap)
Scott Mcgleish ( ditto)
Paris Cowan Hall (Could rise high and hang for a long time)
Mark West (was a great nodder, glancer, header of a ball, but wouldn't bracket him as a great leaper)

Anymore for Anymore !!

Comments

• Fred's a pretty useful header of the ball on the rare occasion he gets into that position, but I don't know if he's that deceptive?

• BSEBSE
    edited November 2020

I know he didn't play a lot for us seem to remember Leon Knight getting fairly good air given his height.

• @ChasHarps You're right, for such a small guy, Paris was excellent in the air.

• Yeah I was going to mention Paris Cowan-Hall.

I think he was all the more impressive for the height he could get from a standing position

• (as in a standing start position)

• Keith Scott.

• Curtis Thompson

• Gape is very good in the air for a man 9f his height

• edited November 2020

From my patchy memory, Andy Rammell won most balls in the air.

• He did but you wouldn't necessarily call him "deceptively" good in the air I don't think.

Steve Thompson (my favourite ever wycombe player) scored a few headers for a little chap didn't he?

• He was in the RAF though..

• @LX1 said:
    He was in the RAF though..

Yep, he was used to heights!

• I’m intrigued by @ChasHarps’ reference to PCH being able to hang for a long time. Surely he could only do that by placing one or both hands on an opponent’s shoulder(s) ? He probably spent a microsecond longer in midair than many players though, by virtue of his prodigious leaps and excellent timing.

• Les Ferdinand had the same ability, no idea of the exact timing, but to the naked eye both players had the ability to reach maximum height and stay there longer than most.

• John Delaney was a wonderful header and scored many goals from corners. He was tall though so had a height advantage which he made the most of.

• Brownie was always a good header and outlet for long punts downfield.

• @micra said:
    I’m intrigued by @ChasHarps’ reference to PCH being able to hang for a long time. Surely he could only do that by placing one or both hands on an opponent’s shoulder(s) ? He probably spent a microsecond longer in midair than many players though, by virtue of his prodigious leaps and excellent timing.

The average person can hang in the air for 0.53 seconds. However, Michael Jordan's hang time has been measured at a best of 0.92 seconds. I would assume that Bayo's hang time is fairly short on the crude assumption that heavy weights drop quicker than lighter ones.

• edited November 2020

Except for diving headers, does Bayo ever leave the floor that much? It always seemed to me he just knew where to put his nut with minimum movement as the ball came towards him. McGleish was my favourite leaper...

• I think John Kerr's diving header was probably one of the best I have ever seen. Was it a late equaliser in a 3-3 draw against Kidderminster?

Paris's against Carlisle in the Beany game was good too.

• @mooneyman said:

@micra said:
    I’m intrigued by @ChasHarps’ reference to PCH being able to hang for a long time. Surely he could only do that by placing one or both hands on an opponent’s shoulder(s) ? He probably spent a microsecond longer in midair than many players though, by virtue of his prodigious leaps and excellent timing.

The average person can hang in the air for 0.53 seconds. However, Michael Jordan's hang time has been measured at a best of 0.92 seconds. I would assume that Bayo's hang time is fairly short on the crude assumption that heavy weights drop quicker than lighter ones.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I think John Kerr's diving header was probably one of the best I have ever seen. Was it a late equaliser in a 3-3 draw against Kidderminster?

“ There was a high point in September when the team fought back from three goals down to draw 3-3 at home to Kidderminster Harriers, with John Kerr equalising with an iconic last-minute diving header!”

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2013/april/chairboys-flirt-with-the-football-league/

I think John Kerr's diving header was probably one of the best I have ever seen. Was it a late equaliser in a 3-3 draw against Kidderminster?

One of my favourite all-time Wycombe goals. I can see it in my mind even now - and it was (in my mind*) the equaliser from 0-3 down. My spectacular leap in celebration from a standing start and hang time would match any Wycombe great (and Michael Jordan).

*My mind is not the most reliable instrument so it might not have been the equaliser

• @johnkerrsdivingheade is also the best gasroom name.

• John Kerr arguably the most one footed striker, I've seen in a Wanderers shirt. Very quick though.

• Maybe his other foot was a spring board for diving headers?

I think Paris scored a very late equaliser in the away game from a corner. The home game he almost craned his neck to get round the defender & ball in a diving motion. It really was a thing of beauty.

• edited November 2020

Jamie bates always jumped high to smash the ball forward to clear away

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

I think Paris scored a very late equaliser in the away game from a corner. The home game he almost craned his neck to get round the defender & ball in a diving motion. It really was a thing of beauty.

The whole game was!

• @HCblue said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

The whole game was!

Thanks for sharing!