Skip to content

Phil Catchpole + no one?

Comments

• Being of punk vintage my fave was always Roxette. (I also have a soft spot for post-Wilko Down At the Doctors)

• I think we are very lucky to have @bluntphil - totally professional, accurate, fair plus he is a fan and, in my view, the icing on the four tiered cake is that he is easy to listen to.

Phil by himself? Just because you are excellent at a job you shouldn't have to work twice as hard.

I have tried to set aside the result, and I thought last night's commentary was excellent. I think credit to @BrianJeeves68, it sounded as though he and Phil have sat down together and thought about how to best blend their styles. It isn't the same as being at the game, but both of them last night made me feel closer to the game. @bluntphil has a quality of inclusivity that means you feel like you have gone to a match with a mate. It felt like two mates last night, thanks @BrianJeeves68. I think this team of ours can't fail to generate affection in you.

I am not sure how much influence the club has over the ifollow commentary team but I agree a female viewpoint would be great in the future.

Please don't make Bill Turnbull tune down his enthusiasm, I looked forward to the Bill and Phil combination on occasions over the last three seasons for games I couldn't get to and I would listen to just the audio commentary and it is just as good accompanying the pictures

• edited November 2020

@Commoner said:
    I'd love to know if Isa Guha is a Chairboys fan? If she is, having schooled in High Wycombe perhaps she could be tempted to come in and give us a different view?

I've enjoyed most of the commentators so far and having a change each game is really refreshing. I do 2nd the premise that we hear a bit too much of Geoff Doyle when he is on.

The Oily Sailor/Alan Parry commentating team should happen when we play Peterborough in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Perhaps Adrian Durham can be brought into the fold as well for that game?

No thanks in shoehorning in a cricket commentator just to box tick.

The suggestion of one of the chair girls getting involved is much more sensible IMO, nothing is more annoying than having someone commentate who has no real clue what they're talking about (even though I'm sure Isa would do her research before, she's good for that on the cricket, it's just blatantly obvious when the background knowledge isn't there)

I like the mix of different co commentators, a bit of variety but all bring their own plus points, whether that's general football league knowledge or specific Wycombe knowledge or passion

• This is an interesting thread for someone in my profession. Just proves that commentary is a subjective topic, one person’s pleasing listen is another person’s irritating distraction.
    When commentating for Sky I am expected to be neutral, but knowing that the Ifollow audience consists almost exclusively of Wycombe fans, I think it’s acceptable to see things from their perspective whilst not distorting the truth by being too biased.
    It’s a difficult balance and perhaps I should be less partisan in future if that’s the majority view. Anyway, thanks for your comments and at least we all agree on one thing- Phil does a great job behind the microphone no matter who is alongside him.

• I vote you stay partially partisan @glasshalffull - I guess it must be a difficult thing to be spot on with that after so much time being professionally unbiased.

The very worst for me is listening to 3CR for a Wycombe v Luton game when the lead commentator roles switch halfway through each half. I find it very difficult to hear enthusiasm and involvement in the voice of a commentator describing an 'opposition' attack. I don't have a problem with an accurate description of the event - "fine incisive crossfield pass ..." it's the emotion that makes me want to turn the commentary down.

Your emotion commentating on Wycombe is fine for me and adds to the experience. I think you are right to think if you sign up for Wycombe ifollow then that is what you want.
    If anyone wants unbiased they could try swapping ifollow sources during the game to achieve a semblance of that.

• I agree with everything @railwaysteve said.

• Off the football topic but the style of commentator makes a huge difference to my enjoyment and you can see from our range of views how difficult that is for both the commentator and the broadcaster.

I really love watching pro-cycling and while Eurosport provides much more coverage, I’ll always stick with ITV4 when they’re doing it. Their on screen team is so good and includes the mighty Gary Imlach - who should present all TV sport in my opinion.

I remember Colin Murray getting binned from MOTD because he wasn’t corporate enough for the PL but for me, he is a quality TV and radio host.

• @arnos_grove Gary Imlach's book on his Dad (and therefore 50s and 60s football) is very good if you haven't read it

• Agreed. Imlack, G. (2005). ‘My Father and Other Working-class Heroes’. London: Yellow Jersey Press.

• I worked with him many many years ago before he started doing the American football.

• Agree on all fronts re: Gary Imlach. His time on Channel 4's NFL coverage coincided with the time that I was most into it. His fronting of the ITV cycling coverage is exemplary. His book is fantastic.

@Username said:

I think the point was if she's a Wycombe fan, or even has more than a passing interest, it would be interesting to get her on. She's clearly an exceptional broadcaster. A lot of sport broadcasters who were former players start covering their own sport and then branch out.

• @glasshalffull said:
    This is an interesting thread for someone in my profession. Just proves that commentary is a subjective topic, one person’s pleasing listen is another person’s irritating distraction.
    When commentating for Sky I am expected to be neutral, but knowing that the Ifollow audience consists almost exclusively of Wycombe fans, I think it’s acceptable to see things from their perspective whilst not distorting the truth by being too biased.
    It’s a difficult balance and perhaps I should be less partisan in future if that’s the majority view. Anyway, thanks for your comments and at least we all agree on one thing- Phil does a great job behind the microphone no matter who is alongside him.

I don't think you should be less partisan, but i also don't think you'd be able to manage it!

• @floyd said:
    I don't think you should be less partisan, but i also don't think you'd be able to manage it!

@glasshalffull I also agree on this!

• @Username said:

@YorkExile said:

I think the point was if she's a Wycombe fan, or even has more than a passing interest, it would be interesting to get her on. She's clearly an exceptional broadcaster. A lot of sport broadcasters who were former players start covering their own sport and then branch out.

Exactly this, she's born and bred in High Wycombe and went to Wycombe High School. She knows the area and I would hope may take an interest in her local football team! The fact she is a fantastic broadcaster only adds to the potential of having her join a broadcast in some capacity.

• Who was the media student who presented Inside Matchday a few seasons ago? I thought she was really good.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I worked with him many many years ago before he started doing the American football.

Quality. Hope he was a decent chap? He’s a fantastic presenter and I loved the book. A genuine man of mystery to me - haven’t seen him writing or presenting much elsewhere in recent years and can’t believe ITV4 have a massive budget.

• His dad was a Forest legend FA Cup winner...how well do you think we got on? :smile:
    (yes, he was a very nice chap...)

• @Wendoverman glad to hear. The book works even better for me having been a resident of Nottingham for the last 18 years.

• @floyd said:
    Who was the media student who presented Inside Matchday a few seasons ago? I thought she was really good.

Chloe Briggs. Went to work for London Irish for a bit, not sure about now.

• I'm not a fan of Bill's commentary.
    Alan Parry was quality...he had done his homework before the match...like a good commentator should.

• It's a touch unfair on the others comparing them to Alan Parry mind!

• that's fair

• Any news on how the @oilysailor + @glasshalffull double-act contract negotiations are progressing...? Season-long deal? One-off? All FA Cup games (to include traditional pre-match live poetry reading)...?

• @arnos_grove said:
    @Wendoverman glad to hear. The book works even better for me having been a resident of Nottingham for the last 18 years.

Or Civilisation as my relatives would have it. Sadly in my day if you didn't want to go down the pit, make fags or bikes or lace you had to get away!

• Unless Guha is an actual Wycombe/ football fan and not someone with just a passing interest I expect it would be horrible.

When TV football "fans" who vaguely watch Premier League games on TV get involved with football commentary or punditry it's torturous listening to anyone who follows the it closely, Ie almost everyone who'd be watching Wycombe iFollow.

In no way means she's not an excellent sports journalist.

• I believe Tara has done commentary on iFollow some time last season. Obviously very few here would’ve heard it as it was international only then. She came across quite shy from what I remember. In the past we’ve had the likes of Jombati, Grimmer, Bean - I’ve always really enjoyed hearing the players who can’t be in the squad for whatever reason joining Phil.

• Even I ended up doing it last Boxing Day

• Just seen Saturday’s game is on ESPN+, so the American fan base will be listening to a guy who calls our left back Yakobsen, while dreaming of @bluntphil and @glasshalffull

• @Wendoverman said:
    @arnos_grove Gary Imlach's book on his Dad (and therefore 50s and 60s football) is very good if you haven't read it

That’s a good book. I think Forest finished with his Dad after he helped them win the 1959 FA Cup final against Luton. Pretty shabby treatment I recall.

• @JohnBoy said:
    In the past we’ve had the likes of Jombati, Grimmer, Bean - I’ve always really enjoyed hearing the players who can’t be in the squad for whatever reason joining Phil.

Usually it was the sub keeper not in the squad who was Alan Hutchinson's co-commentator in the 1170AM days (a lot of Mark Westhead's most notable contributions to WWFC were discussing the quality of the pies on offer at grounds around the country).