Skip to content

Match day thread: Birmingham

Comments

• Great come back second half. Thought we were flat after the Birmingham goal and thought they would see out the win.The subs really worked didn’t they? And Memheti made the winner...brilliant...this is a good brand of Wycombe football

• @Malone certainly wasn't thinking of you when I posted that. No harm with concern at early performances, it's the ones who only post when we're losing that do my head in.

• Amazing result but fully deserved. We have got to grips with this league which now gives us a fighting chance to stay up. Certainly proving lots of people wrong. Think we should all phone Adrian Durham on Talk Sport for his thoughts!!

• Ladies and gentlemen, this is the greatest Wycombe team of all time.

• @arnos_grove said:
    @Malone certainly wasn't thinking of you when I posted that. No harm with concern at early performances, it's the ones who only post when we're losing that do my head in.

Yep for sure. Though i think a couple of those posters are double account spoofers. I hope so as they need pity otherwise!

• 2 words. Bloody Brilliant.

• Just wonderful. I don’t know what else to say.

I repeat, and whether it was planned or not, you CANNOT split the Stewart/Knight partnership unless it is absolutely necessary. Incredible performances across the park again though. What a team. What a club.

• This season is a most excellent adventure. That was a most excellent performance. I wasn't much of an ArmChairboy this evening in front of the TV - more of a dancing singing crazy person.
    Agreed that this is a wonderful team to watch and the best tonic in trying times.

• In Andre Gide's The Counterfeiters a character states that a perfect moment in life should be followed by suicide, as life can no longer be improved.

If we beat Forest this weekend I'm going to have to have a long think about this....

• edited November 2020

@eric_plant said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Allsop really will get blamed for anything won't he

Do you not think goalkeepers should occasionally come off their line to claim crosses?

It was a powerful header from, what, three yards away? Not sure it was as easy to claim as people think - and he might be coached not to claim those as I think someone was saying the other day. Grimmer should have been stronger. No fault of Allsop's and irrelevant now anyway.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Feeling rather emotional. That felt so like a repeat of Filbert Street.

What a team this is.

I thought that. The red and white kit. Passion on the touchline. Essandohesque header, just by the Birmingham player.

Amazing.

• Does anyone know how long the new boys have signed contracts for?

Horgan
    McCleary
    Uche
    Tafazolli
    Etc?

• BSEBSE
    edited November 2020

@thecatwwfc said:
    Does anyone know how long the new boys have signed contracts for?

Horgan 2 years
    McCleary 1 year
    Uche 3 years
    Tafazolli 2 years
    Etc? no idea about the 4 youth prospects

• @chairboyscentral You said it yourself - the header is made 3 yards infront of Allsop, whilst the onrushing Brum players start towards the edge of the box. It all unfolds infront of Allsop and he has as much time as the attackers do to come a shorter distance and deal with it. He can see it and come for it and other keepers do - indeed Krul and Blackman have taken the pressure off their defenders in games against us this season by doing just that.

And it's not irrelevant, is it, just because we came back from it? We need to cut these goals out. Moreover, teams are watching us and taking account of the fact that Rocky won't step off his line in the way they choose to play against us. If he dominates even his 6-yard box, teams will reckon it's not worth crossing into that zone and target the penalty spot instead. Millwall, for example did it again and again.

• Bloody hell...! Thank god for Quest! Disappointed to get my prediction wrong in the nicest possible way! Really proud and even more irritated now that we cannot be in the grounds letting the boys know. We may have to grind but we are not dead yet. Bad few days for the Gasroom truth tellers though innit?

• How good is Curtis Thompson?

About the 25th time I've posted this on here but Notts County releasing him on a free is one of football's great mysteries

• Onyedinma was his old self when he came on, wasn't he? Interesting selection dilemmas coming up, even before the addition of McCleary.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Feeling rather emotional. That felt so like a repeat of Filbert Street.

What a team this is.

I thought that. The red and white kit. Passion on the touchline. Essandohesque header, just by the Birmingham player.

Amazing.

And both winners without the manager in the dugout.

• edited November 2020

@our_frank said:
    @chairboyscentral You said it yourself - the header is made 3 yards infront of Allsop, whilst the onrushing Brum players start towards the edge of the box. It all unfolds infront of Allsop and he has as much time as the attackers do to come a shorter distance and deal with it. He can see it and come for it and other keepers do - indeed Krul and Blackman have taken the pressure off their defenders in games against us this season by doing just that.

And it's not irrelevant, is it, just because we came back from it? We need to cut these goals out. Moreover, teams are watching us and taking account of the fact that Rocky won't step off his line in the way they choose to play against us. If he dominates even his 6-yard box, teams will reckon it's not worth crossing into that zone and target the penalty spot instead. Millwall, for example did it again and again.

Just watched it again and that is a very good, whipped corner, dipping pretty savagely - and it's not as close in as it looked at the time. Not having that as a goalkeeping error. Maybe there's more for him to work on generally, but that one's not on him.

• edited November 2020

It was a good corner and it's not all the goalkeepers responsibility from corners anyway. Not a goalkeeping error for me either. Sometimes not going for crosses is the better option, as was pretty obvious tonight.

• @eric_plant said:
    How good is Curtis Thompson?

About the 25th time I've posted this on here but Notts County releasing him on a free is one of football's great mysteries

My 'Pies supporting cousin does not have a lot nice to say about Kevin Nolan for that reason. I don't think they understand it either.

• I have dutifully worked my way through the 142 comments (so far) and the eulogies and general euphoria are fully justified. That was a brilliant second half and the first half was pretty tasty too! The only thing that surprised me slightly was the fact that there were only a couple of comments about the prodigiously talented Anis Mehmeti. I think we will be seeing a lot more of him as the season progresses.

• If the corner had been floated in or hit flat you’d hope Rocky would be off his line but that was whipped in and dipped dramatically. Not an easy one to punch clear for a keeper and very harsh to criticise him there I think.

Overall a great performance again and a wonderful result. Birmingham’s wide players and the big man upfront looked a threat first half but we largely stifled them second half. The result means I think table is beginning to offer a fairer reflection of our performances since the international break.

So many are playing brilliantly but if I had to single out one it would be Thompson, who was absolutely magnificent again. I was a bit worried when Adeniran came off as we chased the game. Mehmeti doesn’t offer much cover at all but Thompson absolutely bossed it on his own. On several occasions he wrestled back control of the ball and calmed everything down when we looked a little ragged. That really gave us the platform to press on in the final ten minutes and take the game to Birmingham.

Great for Dobbo and Bloomfield as well. I’m sure Ainsworth is still calling the shots but there is something nice about two wins coming when Dobbo is in charge on the touch line. Feels like much deserved recognition for the superb job he has done over such a long time.

Such a shame that we couldn’t be there tonight. Imagine the ABSOLUTE SCENES!!

• Thankfully we've come a long way from those first few games with the clearly sub-par starting midfield of Pattison, Freeman, Bloomfield. Should also banish any talk of record low point totals!

Interesting to see Bloomfield on the touchline working as Dobbo's number 2. Once Gape comes back and assuming Dennis and Thompson stay fit it's hard to see Blooms making the matchday squad on a regular basis. Maybe he'll take an even more active role as a permanent part of the coaching staff.

• What a great time to win a game that was, so nice scoring in injury time !

Hard again to pick out individuals, but for me Stewart, Knight, Thompson and Horgan were fantastic. Hard to see Stewart and Knight being broken up atm, and Horgan, well, what a signing !

• God help the Birmingham keeper if Rocky gets this sort of criticism for his part. What must Etheridge get for his flapper moment in the lead up to our winner!

• Great win and even better to come from behind away from home to get the 3 points.

Without saying it I was very fearful a couple of weeks ago, cruical decisions were going against us and we were outclassed by the likes of Blackburn and Swansea early on in the season. But everyone deserves a huge amount of credit I never once thought we'd throw in the towel but on the same note I would never of guessed we'd get 7 points from our last 3 games.

Cant wait for Saturday.

• Keep the energy levels up like they did last night (god knows how) and there will be enough positive results from late goals that should keep us in the mix until the end of the season.
    The Sky commentator couldn't believe the energy levels late in the game. we must have one of the best F&C coaches in the business.

Again the togetherness of that group of players is just amazing. There will be a few teams and supporters this this wishing their club / team had that.

Gaz has a team like an O'Neil team. Greater than the sum of it's parts.
    You can go a long way on not a lot with that attitude.

• edited November 2020

Brilliant. Girlfriend in the next room thought they'd finally called it for Biden from all my excited jumping around and yelling.