It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Football commentary is a very subjective thing. One person can love a commentator or co-commentator and someone else hate the sound of their voices. Fair enough.
I wondered what the general opinion is on our commentary offering? I know he is well liked on here and I believe that we are really lucky to have Phil Catchpole - he delivers excellent informative and entertaining commentaries that are Wycombe biased in the way they should be but also balanced and fair.
My issues are with who he is paired with
1) Whenever Geoff Doyle from BBC3CR does a Wycombe game (albeit rarely) Phil is somehow relegated to a second commentator status. Geoff is cringeworthy and Phil actually does a great job of politely correcting his awful mistakes. I would give him 3/10 at best. Painful.
2) Matt Cecil. Is brilliant at what he does day to day juggling about 100 different things and for me, actually the best co-commentator. He offers insight and also analyses the game incredibly well pointing out things I wouldn’t have spotted - something ex-players often don’t do when you’d expect them to instead of just telling you what you are seeing, stating the obvious or just rattling out cliches 8/10
3) Alan Parry. I enjoyed listening to AP on Saturday, hilarious when the fan in him came out and he shouted at the ref. Maybe a bit tough for Phil having a top pro commentator next to him but it was a good listen. 8/10
4) This Brian bloke from Southend who is a journalist. Fairly harmless but why do we need someone who doesn’t know our players or really anything about us. Phil again is a perfect diplomat in handling him but he didn’t add anything and started to grate in the couple of games I’ve had to listen to him. 4/10
5) Bill Turnbull. Sorry, I know loads of you love him but he is the absolute worst. Infuriates me that he comes and takes over “commentating”, if you can call it that, so Phil has to take a back seat. He can’t remember names and just mumbles away like a Harry Enfield character, it’s so bad. Embarrassing when he was arguing with Phil during the Norwich game too, fair play to PC for standing his ground just before half-time. On what basis is he used? Because he once presented boring-Alan-Partridge-with-no-irony-breakfast time on the BBC? So what? Irrelevant to commentating on a football match. I know he has been through a very very tough time health wise and that is completely separate to this, I’m not judging him as a person or as a fan. I’m sure his work for charity is brilliant and it’s great he supports the club and uses his profile to help the club but I just don’t think being near the mic at a football match it for him. 1/10
Why do we actually need a co-commentator? I’d prefer or listen to Phil on his own if we can’t add anyone good like a decent ex-player or one of the injured first team players.
The ifollow audio package is a service I pay for every season (separate to the live streams we can watch this season) so it’s fair to ask for some quality control.