Skip to content

Incoming Signing...?

Comments

• Certainly has an eye for goal. I’ve only watched a minute or so of the video which @niebieski kindly posted but I got the picture!

• Described on Wikipedia (remarkably quickly updated) as a winger and stats show that he scores a goal every ten games or so. Half a dozen between now and the end of the season (and numerous assists for Kashket etc) would be wonderful.

• edited November 2020

Must be our first ever player to have played against Messi (for Jamaica at the Copa América)

• For something that was quite common in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Is McCleary the first ex Slough Town player to sign for the Wanderers since Steve Thompson in 1992 ??

• Asks some questions about Nick Freeman possibly, think he either needs to produce decent crosses and score a bit more regularly to be a wide player and work on keeping the ball, or if he wants to play centrally I'd suggest he needs to get a bit stronger with interceptions, tackling and again retaining the ball.
    Definitely think he's got the potential though.

• A great signing in the soon-to-be-mispelled tradition of Paul Emblen, Jordon Ibe and Alex Samuel.

• Looking forward to seeing if he's any good. Never heard of him but posts on here seem quite positive.
    Always good to have loads of attacking options and a big call on using the last squad space on him rather than left back cover.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    A great signing in the soon-to-be-mispelled tradition of Paul Emblen, Jordon Ibe and Alex Samuel.

We must have had quite a few of those

• Anton Vic’s ‘ouse was a classic.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Looking forward to seeing if he's any good. Never heard of him but posts on here seem quite positive.
    Always good to have loads of attacking options and a big call on using the last squad space on him rather than left back cover.

The 'we're going to score more goals than you' theory?

• A brave decision . JJ is doing ok at the moment. We know he's not the quickest. My concern is if he is injured or if we come up with opponents with quick wingers. Really places a lot of responsibility on whoever plays wide left.

• @Wendoverman said:

The 'we're going to score more goals than you' theory?

In very simple terms the only way to win football matches. Everything else is adding difficulty

• Grimmer would be alright there I think - not as quick as McCarthy to compensate for being on his weak side, but he's much more positionally disciplined. Wheeler has the right defensive qualities and reading of the game - could be an option in an emergency, obviously don't want to sacrifice what he gives us further forward. A left-footer would be ideal, but I guess the right person wasn't available. And right-footed left-backs aren't exactly unheard of.

• Charles could also be emergency left back cover?

• Garath McCleary
    warrants a cheer. He
    signed for the Blues.
    That's really good news.

• @Aylesburyblue said:
    There are some good free agents still available. Here are a few:⤵️

Krystian Pearce (30, CB)
    Rhys Bennett (29, CB)
    Danny Lloyd (28, FW)
    Danny Rowe (28, FW)
    Tom Pett (28, MC)
    Josh Vickers (24, GK)
    Billy Waters (26, SC)
    Duncan Watmore (26, FW)

This was on Twitter earlier.

None of those would be good signings for a championship side, league 1 and 2 players with the potential exception of Whatmore> @OxfordBlue said:

Charles could also be emergency left back cover?

Far too slow. Tafazoli has played there before I believe, but again, pace is an issue

McCarthy or Grimmer for me

• McCleary was a good player at Forest. A first team regular with an eye for goal. We don’t seem to actually put a lot of crosses in compared to other teams as our wingers seem to favour the ‘cut in and pass or shoot’ option. Mind you with Kashket up front that is really sensible.

Playing Ikpeazu/Bayo up front plus an out and out winger gives us an alternative approach (even from the bench).

McCleary seems to have scored one goal every ten starts...which for a winger puts him on a par with Gareth Ainsworth I think. And Gareth used to be the master of the early cross from deep, once he had got a yard past his defender.

Overall a really promising signing that adds variety to the squad. I agree that it knocks Nick Freeman down the list and he may go out on loan to get match time?

• edited November 2020

We can't send Freeman out on loan outside the window, and we need as big a squad as possible anyway.

• Im very late to this... can qe not sign anymore free agent's now?

• edited November 2020

@bigred87 Not if they're over 21, we're up to the 25 'senior' players allowed now

• Wonder if there are any left backs in the B team ranks. And we mustn’t forget Giles Phillips.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    We can't send Freeman out on loan outside the window, and we need as big a squad as possible anyway.

This. Competition is good. Time for Nick to get in and take someone's place...making it harder for him has to be a good thing. Agree with @Forest_Blue a winger with an eye for a cross is probably only of use when there is a big man up front...SK is no leaping Scott McGleish!

• Has he scored with his head at all? I vaguely remember him doing so but not at all sure.

• @micra said:
    Has he scored with his head at all? I vaguely remember him doing so but not at all sure.

Final day of 16/17 against Cambridge

• McCleary is a decent name. Hope he's still got the magic that made him a long term championship player.

• Just noticed he played in one of the most ridiculous games of all time, Reading 5-7 Arsenal in the League Cup - so he should be used to drama!

• I remembered Reading had a comfy lead then totally threw it away, but had to check the details.
    4-0 up to lose 7-5!

Brings back memories of our 3-1 up at half time v Villa, to then lose 7-3!
    A mad game where literally everything Villa hit went in.

• You're right. Even sillier than I've mis-remembered.

I would claim i was mixing up with Liverpool's recent lashing, but that was 7-2!