Skip to content

AFC Wimbledon back to Plough Lane

Tremendous achievement and massive FU to the FA and our concrete cow loving neighbours.
Shame the fans won't see it for a while but we'll done to them.

Comments

• Agreed. It's just a wonderful thing.

• Good to see them back home at last and hope they continue to overtake the Franchise in every way, but is it just me who's found a lot of Dons fans difficult to like since their return to the league? They should be our footballing kin but seem to have a inexplicable sense of entitlement as well as strong dislike of Wycombe and Ainsworth for some reason.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Good to see them back home at last and hope they continue to overtake the Franchise in every way, but is it just me who's found a lot of Dons fans difficult to like since their return to the league? They should be our footballing kin but seem to have a inexplicable sense of entitlement as well as strong dislike of Wycombe and Ainsworth for some reason.

I've found the same - especially odd as he's a former Wimbledon player.

• Presumably there is a substantial new cohort of Wimbledon supporters who have jumped on the bandwagon since the club (a completely new club other than in name) defied enormous odds to climb through numerous tiers of non league football to reach the third tier of the Football League. A significant proportion of the fans who supported the original club will have “moved on”. Attitudes change.

• Glad they have moved back home but I do not warm to their fans at all, some of them inexplicably seem to hate us.

Given both of our non-league roots, and a lack of rivalry over the years, it's all a bit odd. We even cancelled the Franchise friendly a few years back in support of them, not that it should have been arranged to start with.

• Won't miss that horrible away end at Kingston.

Have to agree about the perception of the club though. From a position high on morals after the MK robbery they've managed to become quite loathsome in a short period of time.

Scummy club

• @MindlessDrugHoover I think it goes way beyond petty stuff like that. But then I also liked the away end at Kingston, so I guess I'm just a bit odd.

For me there's a bit of symmetry here. Just as there is determination among many of us that the Franchise should never be accepted as just another football club, so I feel that we should treasure Wimbledon and every achievement they make in their recovery of their position: league status and now ground - it's a barely credible accomplishment.

• Pretty minor grumbles , and we wonder why nobody likes us at times, the major points should be that despite what the FA commission agreed, Merton Council wanting nothing to do with them for decades and speculators from Dublin to Norway to MK effing them about they are ahead of MK Dons in the league and playing in a new stadium at Plough Lane. That didn't happen by accident.
    I'm sure some of their fans are pricks or bandwagon jumpers but some others have worked non stop for years and "got their club back" whilst others moan about not signing a striker.
    I hated the away end at Kingstonian btw, being able to see the whole pitch is a luxury we take for granted these days.

• I won’t forgive them for stoning the supporters coach leaving Plough Lane after a pre-season friendly 45(?) years ago.

I do like to hold a grudge

• @bookertease said:
    I won’t forgive them for stoning the supporters coach leaving Plough Lane after a pre-season friendly 45(?) years ago.

I do like to hold a grudge

That seems perfectly reasonable tbh @bookertease

• Last time we played at Plough lane, I believe.

• As we know ourselves, there is always a relative minority of fans, especially the younger element perhaps, who are unaware of (or just not interested in) historical relationships between clubs and whose attitudes to other clubs are therefore based on relatively recent encounters and who tend not to see the bigger picture in any case.

Have to say I was not aware of any general animosity on the part of Wimbledon fans towards our club. At least nothing that we weren’t experiencing on a regular basis from opposition fans of most other clubs. Our style of play and supposed excessive indulgence in time wasting tactics and the darker arts were usually adduced to justify their attitudes.

• edited November 2020

This is a massive milestone, sticking fingers up at the FA who enabled the whole sordid episode as much as the shysters who stole their club. No matter how much some AFC Wimbledon fans are dickheads, this is a massive victory for ordinary supporters of all clubs.

• Their fans are often quite odious, but I'd probably be a massive dickhead if my club got nicked and moved to MK too.

• Only Oxford rival them for deluded fans. And Plymouth. Oh and Peterborough. And Sunderland...