Skip to content

Taking the Knee

Just had a sly peek at my wife’s Mail on Sunday. On page 153 they have published an article by James Sharpe in which he says “Wycombe’s game against Sheffield Wednesday was the only game to take place in the second tier in which neither club took the knee..”. I don’t know if that’s true but what I do know is that we weren’t playing Cardiff as his stats column states.

Comments

• Both sides definitely did take the knee

• Once again... “Mail on Sunday” - need I say more...?

• They absolutely did.

• Page 153?!!!!!

God almighty the Mail is bad enough as it normally is. If it stretches to 150+ pages....

• Were they all just bending down to tie their shoelaces in unison then?

• Use it to line the cat litter tray Micra

Not good for much else

• What an odd thing to make up.

• Rocky must take the knee about 20 times a game.

• Who cares either way getting rid of covid is much more important than this.

• It is possible to care about more than one thing at a time you know @trevor

• @bookertease said:
    It is possible to care about more than one thing at a time you know @trevor

Well some people care more about blm than covid deaths deluded attitudes.

• I noticed those two errors in the Mail report, careless and poorly researched.

• Careless and poorly researched would sum up the Daily Mail in general.

• Wycombe had the temerity to fail to lose, so Trevor has nothing whinge about other than people showing solidarity against racism in society. To follow his line of thinking, why is Trevor complaining about sportsmen taking the knee when he should be feeding the hundreds of thousands of kids going hungry?

• @trevor I think we would probably get to the core of your annoyance by asking a simple question.

Do you care AT ALL about BLM?

• @bookertease said:
    Page 153?!!!!!

God almighty the Mail is bad enough as it normally is. If it stretches to 150+ pages....

80 of those pages are about migrants affecting house prices and another 50 are adverts for commemorative Princess Diana plates from Franklin Mint.

• What I don't understand is The Daily Hate's agenda in getting this wrong?

• @trevor said:
    Who cares either way getting rid of covid is much more important than this.

Yes because no-one has had their life cut short, their prospects curtailed, themselves and their loved ones and children subjected to vile abuse because of racism. Covid is a shit show for everyone. Racism is an extra terrible burden that not all of us have to live with. Taking a knee highlights the need and desire for change. If you haven’t listened to Bayo’s interview, give it a go. Him taking about taking a knee with his son and what his son replied says it all really.

• @bookertease said:
    It is possible to care about more than one thing at a time you know @trevor

Sadly one of the problems of the western world it seems to me is that people don’t seem to be able to. I see it in the need to determine “who is the greatest of all time”, which movement is “more important”, what must the “top priority” be. A desire to subject need and moral action to some sort of ranking system. Maybe it’s a way to make sense of a complex world, to have ‘easy’ choices, maybe it’s something to do with individualism being over-valued as a quasi-moral value.

• @Manboobs some good points there.

I think also if people don't care at all about certain issues it's always easy to say there is something more important.

I care about covid and the BLM movement equally, and there is space in my brain for both issues because I deem both to be important.

It's not a massive chore for me to categorise both as important. I would be genuinely curious to know what is the big barrier to people seeing both as significant

• Interesting points being made here. I must say, I agree with @Wheresthechips rather than @Manboobs. Elegantly made as the latter's points are, it seems to me they give too much credence to the idea that people who put forward the type of argument that Trevor has done here are ever doing so in good faith. The proverb "Charity begins at home" has always struck me as one that is mainly used by people who (1) don't like foreigners on principle and (2) don't give to charity at all.

• As I white middle aged man I am not in a position to say whether the gesture is right or relevant. As some people in our squad who I greatly admire and respect feel it is something they want to do I support it 100%. What I don’t respect is some shit rag mis representing our players and club to promote their own agenda. After Martin Samuel last week that rag should be blocked from anything to do with us or the squad.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Interesting points being made here. I must say, I agree with @Wheresthechips rather than @Manboobs. Elegantly made as the latter's points are, it seems to me they give too much credence to the idea that people who put forward the type of argument that Trevor has done here are ever doing so in good faith. The proverb "Charity begins at home" has always struck me as one that is mainly used by people who (1) don't like foreigners on principle and (2) don't give to charity at all.

So all I have to do is disapprove of your argument and I can thereby assume it's also been made in bad faith? This seems questionable.

• That's a fairly spectacular misrepresentation of what I said and, given that you've shown yourself to be an intelligent person, I think it's reasonable to assume that it was deliberately done. So, on this occasion, yes, I think you have made a bad faith argument against me.

• @HCblue If someone disagrees with my argument I will assume it is made in good faith unless they make a sweeping statement like "X is so much more important than y" without any attempt to qualify it.

It comes across as venting rather than putting forward an argument really

• @Wheresthechips said:
    @HCblue If someone disagrees with my argument I will assume it is made in good faith unless they make a sweeping statement like "X is so much more important than y" without any attempt to qualify it.

It comes across as venting rather than putting forward an argument really

I agree that the way in which a point is made can inform your view of it. And if that's what @OakwoodExile meant to say, I could go with it. But it is dangerous to assume that one's interpretation of a person's manner or tone is correct and to feel able to dismiss it out of hand for that reason without considering what truth there may be to be found in what they said. For example, the proposition that charity should begin at home has merit, regardless of who says it, how they say it or whether they really mean it.

• Let the team be. It's not our decision to decide if the players should take a knee.

• I'm not aware anyone has suggested otherwise.

• I dont mind the taking the knee and the right cause for it. But lets face it. Most players over the footballing pyramid dont really care and just do it because a few are passionate about it and what it really stands for. Imagine if one didnt and the shitshow that would follow. I am all for the cause. I just dont feel most sportsmen or women are doing it for the right reasons but are just looking to fall in line which is worse. Basically an insult to the true purpose of it. Not aimed at wycombe but across all sports. Virtue signalling in a nutshell. As long as you refer to players or people by their colour before anything else then racism will always exist.

• Must be useful to be able to read people's minds