Skip to content

Refereeing standard

I thought we had seen some crap refs in 1/2 but they have nothing on the ones we are seeing in the championship, how can one guy make so many mistakes and miss so many things.

Comments

• I thought the one against Watford was ok. The chalking off of Samuel's looked understandable in real time, if rather harsh on slow motion replays.

• Every club get's a bunch of game-changing bad decisions, but they are usually spread out over the course of a season (the foul on Eze before Cheltenham's equalizer in the 3-3 and the sending off in the Peterborough game last season come to mind instantly). We had 4 decisions in 5 games that were massive. If the results had stayed the same way after each decision, it is 7 extra points. Other fans may mock, but that was a crazy run, and it was more through luck than competence that today's ref didn't become the story too.

• Did we have a major decision go our way today though?

2 min stoppage at end of first half, and despite being no significant break in those first added 2 mins the ref left out corner be taken despite it being awarded after the 2 min.

I know it’s “a minimum of” but that’s to allow for stoppages in added time to be accounted for.

• @Shev What were the ref's major errors today? I thought he had a fair game.

• @our_frank our players constantly getting shoved over with no punishment, foul on JJ at the death, blatant corner given as GK, Bayo's shirt getting pulled off, off the top of my head. Nothing game-changing, it just felt like a huge error was coming, whereas the Watford ref was brilliant up to the controversy at the end.

• Didn't think the ref got too much wrong today. Paterson perhaps a tad fortunate not to see red and a couple of other minor gripes, but nothing game changing like recently.

A few of our players were a bit too keen to go to ground at times I thought. No problem with the ref having none of that.

• @shev I agree about the foul on JJ. As for Bayo, I thought it was a fairly standard refereeing performance in relation to him. He would argue he ought to have been given more and so would the defenders.

A lot of the getting shoved (not over, I think) was when trying to delay the taking of a free-kick or throw. I thought he just saw that as tit-for-tat handbags stuff, which is fair enough. The one that probably was a bit more doubtful was when Patterson cast Wheeler aside, having been booked.

Overall, I just thought he was trying to keep the game going as much as he could and not to get sucked into showing cards for every bit of petulance and play-acting.

Others have moaned about the 6 minutes injury time. I thought that was fair, given the 6 subs and our timewasting.

• One man's constantly shoved over is another man's slightly cringey play-acting

• Stroud has a reputation, didn't really look like he had a clue - although I'm not sure that went against either side in particular.

• @our_frank said:
    @Shev What were the ref's major errors today? I thought he had a fair game.

If you want to know what the ref did wrong then have a word with @bluntphil 's summariser on 3CR who spent most of the second half screaming into his microphone about how the ref had got it wrong after just about every decision.

• I was very surprised th ref didn't blow up for the pushes, think he bottled it (as our partisan commentary said) with Paterson and his wrestling move on wheels. However I think these things will even out over the season and I much prefer a dodgy ref to var.

• I have said before that much as I dislike VAR, we would probably be sitting on 8-9 points now if it had been in use in the Championship. Yesterday’s referee was too lenient towards Paterson on the basis of his repeated misdemeanours, but the official at Norwich got the big calls wrong and cost us at least a point.

• Maybe, but if var was the norm for all pro footie we wouldn't have had the joy of Gaz scoring at C*lu with his hand ?? Great bit of co commentary yesterday btw @glasshalffull

• I to have not been impressed with the refereeing standards so far this season. It seem to me that far to many decisions go against "the new boys" I have always thought that the decisions even out over a season, I am looking forward to that happening this season

• I thought yesterday’s ref wasn’t too bad. Couple of things didn’t go our way but not overly big calls except for one that looked like an elbow on JJ. The prior few had me up the Bill Turnbull end of the furyometer though.

• @johnthehair said:
    I to have not been impressed with the refereeing standards so far this season. It seem to me that far to many decisions go against "the new boys" I have always thought that the decisions even out over a season, I am looking forward to that happening this season

I believe Gaz has suggested he’ll take the evening out in the run-in. Highly dodgy penalty decision to keep us up? Thank you football Powers that Be.