Skip to content

Comments

• Stinking out the second tier?

Where on earth was this written?

• @Lloyd2084 Peterborough Telegraph by our friend Alan Swann by the looks of it

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Stinking out the second tier?

Where on earth was this written?

What a weird expression. I wonder when that article was written and on how many of the last three or four Wycombe games the writer based his comments.

I think a lot of outsiders seeing the bare statistics are totally ignorant of the circumstances that have affected our indifferent start to the season. They ought at least to be aware that six of the eight clubs we have played so far are in the top 10 of the Championship

. What they will not know is -

• our first two or three games were
      in effect pre season friendlies with
      various permutations being tried out or
      forced upon us by a spate of injuries,
      suspensions and possibly illness,
      against clubs who were much more
      match fit by dint of having been playing
      out their seasons.
    • we have had goals ruled out by highly
      questionable refereeing decisions,
      denying us at least three more points.
      • our performances have improved
        remarkably over the past few weeks -
        so much so that we played so well
        against Watford that Ben Foster was
        their man of the match (together with
        the referee who disallowed what
        would have been our winning goal.)

I’ve said enough. Goodnight/good morning all.

• It's a ridiculous mix of a criminal misrepresentation of our position in the league last year, with an astoundingly arrogant presumption that Peterborough were somehow certs to go up instead.

• The rewriting of the playoff matches to fit the agenda is a new one, adds to the narrative I suppose if you're that tragic.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    The rewriting of the playoff matches to fit the agenda is a new one, adds to the narrative I suppose if you're that tragic.

Yep. The same format it's been for years written off as a "brief" cup competition.

It's not even like the semis were 1 leg or anything. Very odd.

I hope if we stay up we absolutely annihilate that twat on socials.

• edited October 2020

If anything I preferred the last one that said we were (of course unfairly) catapulted from 8th in to the heights of the play offs (6th) , presumably instead of accounting for the game in hand an unbiased Posh fan or media ally should have been detailed to go through the remaining games and select results, or of course overrule the 20 clubs (all called Wycombe Wanderers no doubt) that voted to finish the league early.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    If anything I preferred the last one that said we were (of course unfairly) catapulted from 8th in to the heights of the play offs (6th) , presumably instead of accounting for the game in hand an unbiased Posh fan or media ally should have been detailed to go through the remaining games and select results, or of course overrule the 20 clubs (all called Wycombe Wanderers no doubt) that voted to finish the league early.

Remember the game in hand was Coventry away ;)

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Remember the game in hand was Coventry away ;)

It would be especially sweet to take a win from that fixture this year.

• A good friend, a lifelong Wimbledon fan, who takes an occasional look at the Gasroom to see what nonsense I’ve been coming out with, commented as follows:

“.......As always, I greatly admire your optimism but there can’t be too many clubs that have avoided relegation after securing one point from the first twenty four! Let’s hope they break the mould but, in relying on the return of a 38 year-old to make much difference....hmm.”

He also maintains that some on the Gasroom were calling for Ainsworth to be sacked. I suggested that this might’ve been the case on Facebook where ignorance often surfaces but, no, he says he definitely saw comments to that effect on the Gasroom. Did he?

Do we care, I suppose, is the appropriate response.
    COYB

PS Anyone know if our match this afternoon will be under the red button on Sky? My confidence that I’ll succeed in accessing it on iFollow is at an all time low!

• edited October 2020

98/99, 2points from the first 10 games, no wins from the first 12, and stayed up by 1 point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998–99_Football_League

• Which club/division @Malone. Your link didn’t mention it unless my speed reading (!) has let me down again.
    Do you know if our match will be on the red button?

• @micra said:
    Which club/division @Malone. Your link didn’t mention it unless my speed reading (!) has let me down again.
    Do you know if our match will be on the red button?

It was us!! In the third tier.
    Too until the 5th match to get 1 point, courtesy of a keeper wellying it into Dannie Bulman's bahooky.

• @micra, you're going to have to trust in ifollow today

• @micra said:
    A good friend, a lifelong Wimbledon fan, who takes an occasional look at the Gasroom to see what nonsense I’ve been coming out with, commented as follows:

“.......As always, I greatly admire your optimism but there can’t be too many clubs that have avoided relegation after securing one point from the first twenty four! Let’s hope they break the mould but, in relying on the return of a 38 year-old to make much difference....hmm.”

He also maintains that some on the Gasroom were calling for Ainsworth to be sacked. I suggested that this might’ve been the case on Facebook where ignorance often surfaces but, no, he says he definitely saw comments to that effect on the Gasroom. Did he?

COYB

PS Anyone know if our match this afternoon will be under the red button on Sky? My confidence that I’ll succeed in accessing it on iFollow is at an all time low!

It was literally only last season when Stoke had 1 point from their first 8 games and stayed up without too much discomfort.

• edited October 2020

@Brownie said:

@micra said:
    A good friend, a lifelong Wimbledon fan, who takes an occasional look at the Gasroom to see what nonsense I’ve been coming out with, commented as follows:

COYB

It was literally only last season when Stoke had 1 point from their first 8 games and stayed up without too much discomfort.

Close, but not quite.
    2 points from their first 8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Stoke_City_F.C._season

They also relied heavily on 10 points from their last 4 games.

But your general sentimonies remain.

• @glasshalffull pointed out on commentary that the last team to start the championship this "badly" was Peterborough

• I think a ‘Stinking Up The Championship 20/21’ banner is in order.

• Do we have a link to this idiots twitter page ? We must thank him

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Do we have a link to this idiots twitter page ? We must thank him

https://twitter.com/ptalanswann?s=21

• Stockdale has already had a go

David Stockdale
    @stockogk1313
    ·
    21h
    Replying to
    @WycombeComanche
    and
    @PTAlanSwann
    HahahahFace with tears of joyFace with tears of joy any crisps with that pint of bitter?

• Applying Swanns logic, could he explain then why why the club that play at the "State des Trois Cotes" are currently occupying the very bottom place in the division below us?

• They’re stinking out League One for us.

• Good Job we put the 'Headington name changers' to the sword at Wembley.
    They would have totally embarrassed themselves in the 'big boys league's.

• Oxford's position certainly makes that playoff win all the more seminal!