Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

Comments

• You also said he was as good as most keepers in this division which seems unlikely given that we’ve so far been up against Foster, Krul and Rafael (England, Netherlands and Brazil internationals) and a team with Frank Fielding on the bench.

• I believe he is as good as most, you have singled out just 3.

• I agree with @glasshalffull - I honestly can't see any issues with him. Although I did almost soil myself when he raced Sarr for the ball.

• He's definitely not as good as most, but he's perfectly good enough.

• edited October 2020

Those were our last four games. The other four are two premier league loanees (Woodman and Blackman), another international (Sluga, Croatia) and Kaminski at Blackburn. I’m not sure he’s as good as any so far, but (again) why should we expect any of our players to match up individually in terms of quality?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    He's definitely not as good as most, but he's perfectly good enough.

I agree completely.

• I remember Frank Talia having a brilliant game at Barnsley once and thinking he was a better keeper than Taylor. What a fool I was.

If only Taylor could have caught crosses better he would have been an automatic first choice in the Premier League. Every permanent keeper since has been a downgrade, although that is generally only by comparison.

• Just think, if the back pass rule was in operation in John Granvilles time, I doubt he would have featured in many games.

• @Chris said:
    Those were are last four games. The other four are two premier league loanees (Woodman and Blackman), another international (Sluga, Croatia) and Kaminski at Blackburn. I’m not sure he’s as good as any so far, but (again) why should we expect any of our players to match up individually in terms of quality?

I wouldn't class Blackman as a PL, as if I remember right, he hasn't featured in that league. Just that he is on the books of a PL team. Think if he was going to make it there, he wouldn't be loaned out now.
    Q: Blackman gets recall & appear for Chelsea next week!!

• I’d rather have Blackman in goal.

• So would I.

• Allsop had a dreadful spell about a third of the way through last season. I really admire his character in coming back from that.

• @chairboyscentral said:

Not looking to start an argument, but you can’t say he is ‘definitely not as good as most’. It’s your opinion, and that’s fair enough, but it’s no more a fact than my opinion that he is as good as most.

• @glasshalffull said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Not looking to start an argument, but you can’t say he is ‘definitely not as good as most’. It’s your opinion, and that’s fair enough, but it’s no more a fact than my opinion that he is as good as most.

It is a game of opinions, but I think you'd struggle to find anyone who'd agree that he's on the same level as most Championship 'keepers - and that's no slight on him, it's just a mark of what a bloody good division this is.

• edited October 2020

Although actually, it's arguably easier to compare goalkeepers' ability factually than players in any other position. There are fewer variables because there are fewer attributes to measure them on. That takes some fairly deep analysis which I wouldn't be able to do myself, but you could fairly conclusively rank them.

• It’s all very subjective, but having seen a lot of Championship games last season and so far this season, I haven’t seen anything in Allsop’s displays to suggest that he’s below the standard required at this level.
    He’s likely to be one of the busiest keepers in the division so we’ll have plenty of opportunities to find out just how good he is.

• @glasshalffull He's not below the standard for a team at the lower end of the table - and that does us absolutely fine.

• But I also wouldn't be surprised if he improves still - he has been excellent ever since coming back into the side in Feb.

• I haven't always warmed to Rocky in the past, but after those saves at 1-1 in the playoff final, he is part of our folklore - he played such a central role in us holding on and then winning (kick for Fred's penalty). I know you can't play someone forever simply out of gratitude, but he is a hero now, either way.

I think I come down somewhere in the middle on the debate - he is a great shot-stopper with an obvious weakness for crosses and command of his area, but for me he has done enough to deserve to be our #1. If the money was there to replace him, I would prefer it spent elsewhere, put it that way.

• I still struggle to forgive Allsop for Scunthorpe away around Christmas a couple of years ago.

But as @OakwoodExile said, he has done really well since he appeared to lose confidence for a spell last season. If he can avoid a dip in form like that again, he’ll be fine for us at this level.

• As an aside, if you can, have a look at the 3rd goal Rotherham scored against Sheff Wed. The GK basically just palms the ball out straight to one of their forwards.

(Also the foul leading to the penalty & sending off in that doesn’t look that dissimilar to the non-foul on Fred at Norwich)

• BUT it's not just about quality/ability with individuals in our team is it? The psychology and attitude of the player can be the key element as far as our (wonderful/brilliant) management team are concerned. Look where this approach has taken us.

• @bookertease said:
    As an aside, if you can, have a look at the 3rd goal Rotherham scored against Sheff Wed. The GK basically just palms the ball out straight to one of their forwards.

(Also the foul leading to the penalty & sending off in that doesn’t look that dissimilar to the non-foul on Fred at Norwich)

He (Cameron Dawson, who was on loan with us) was at fault for all three goals, would be amazed if he plays on Saturday. Awful communication for the first goal and the penalty conceded.

• Are any professional goal keepers not great shot stoppers out of interest?
    That phrase always seems to be a back handed compliment followed with a "but".

• Chelsea seemed to question that assertion recently @Malone

• @Malone said:
    Are any professional goal keepers not great shot stoppers out of interest?
    That phrase always seems to be a back handed compliment followed with a "but".

Brian Parkin didnt appear to have any attributes of being a goalkeeper other than owning a glove bag.

• Parkin and Cheesewright, surely the Old Kent Rd and Whitechapel in the Wycombe Wanderers monopoly game

(Dave Carroll is Mayfair, since you asked)

• @eric_plant said:
    Parkin and Cheesewright, surely the Old Kent Rd and Whitechapel in the Wycombe Wanderers monopoly game

(Dave Carroll is Mayfair, since you asked)

He's got the hair for it.

• Sam Parkin - Free parking
    Gavin Grant - Go to jail
    Jamie Bates' missus - Community Chest
    Gary Lester Square
    Plucky non-leaguers Oxford Circus

• Not forgetting Al the Pål Mall