Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

Comments

• I just wish he wouldn’t occasionally move out of the box with the ball in his hands as he clears it upfield. I’m amazed that no official has spotted that.

• @micra I thought the law was relaxed so it's fine as long as the action of drop-kicking starts while they're still in the box?

• That’s a really good spot. I think refs and linos hate to give that decision as it gives a massive benefit to the opposing team with a free kick on the edge of the box. I referee at the weekends and if I see it developing I always warn the keeper quietly that he is going too close to the edge of his box before releasing the ball.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @micra I thought the law was relaxed so it's fine as long as the action of drop-kicking starts while they're still in the box

That’s too subtle a distinction (for me at least) on which to base judgment but my perception has often been that he has still had the ball in his hands at a point where a plumb line from the ball to turf would finish about a yard outside the box.

Someone said yesterday that they were glad I’d mentioned it because they also felt that Allsop was overstepping occasionally.

Perhaps referees have occasionally had a quiet word but they are usually in the opposition half at the time and it would be hard for them to detect what after all is a pretty minor infringement. Probably the assistant referee’s responsibility In any case and I doubt whether many of them could be arsed.

• I have just seen quotes from Ben Foster, the Watford keeper, saying they were relieved to get a point on Tuesday, how we are going to be a handful for a lot of teams and how they failed to cope with us, especially Bayo. Nice to read honest and complimentary comments from the opposition for a change!

• I assume this means Sheff Wed will be all over the big man now. Three chances against former Premier League defence...excellent.

• R> @micra said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    @micra I thought the law was relaxed so it's fine as long as the action of drop-kicking starts while they're still in the box

That’s too subtle a distinction (for me at least) on which to base judgment but my perception has often been that he has still had the ball in his hands at a point where a plumb line from the ball to turf would finish about a yard outside the box.

Someone said yesterday that they were glad I’d mentioned it because they also felt that Allsop was overstepping occasionally.

Perhaps referees have occasionally had a quiet word but they are usually in the opposition half at the time and it would be hard for them to detect what after all is a pretty minor infringement. Probably the assistant referee’s responsibility In any case and I doubt whether many of them could be arsed.

I believe as long as he doesn't handle it outside the area then it's fine. So essentially he can throw it just outside the box and then kick it. In my opinion it's an unnecessary risk for the sake of gaining half a yard though.

• Allsop and the coaching staff are in a better place to judge that risk.

• Agreed. I was going to go on and say GA and co will surely be aware of it anyway.

• I have also noticed Rocky’s habit of going to the very limit of his area, but considering the much more obvious and important decisions that have gone against us recently, it would be pretty galling if he was penalised for such a minor infringement.
    On the bigger picture, I agree with those who have pointed out Rocky’s strengths rather than his weaknesses. He’s as good as most ‘keepers in the division and if he ticked every box he’d probably be playing in the Premier League every week.

• I'd say he probably isn't as good as most keepers in the Championship, but that doesn't make him a bad player.

All of of players will be individually worse than their equivalents in most other teams, but we have a chance of staying up because of our team spirit, work ethic, organisation and planning.

• Yep @glasshalffull, positive is nice but that's a stretch.

• What I meant was that any player who is top of his game in every aspect of the position he plays in would be operating at the highest level. That also applies to Chris’s point above, I doubt there are many players in the Championship who are superior to their counterparts in the PL.

• Think your glass is a little more than half full!

• Brownie and Rocky helped get us up...but both (not forgetting Ingram) were regularly slated for one thing or another. It's an unforgiving position and given how much we seem to rate our present defence I'm not sure he has been to blame for many of the goals conceded has he? He's not the best keeper I've ever seen but he's certainly not the worst!

• @eric_plant said:
    Think your glass is a little more than half full!

I think his glass must be overflowing with Tennants Super !!

• Those of us who saw Paul Hyde and Martin Taylor were very spoiled. Rockys not in that category, but that doesn’t make him a substandard keeper.

• We havent had a quality permanent keeper since Martin Taylor.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    That’s a really good spot. I think refs and linos hate to give that decision as it gives a massive benefit to the opposing team with a free kick on the edge of the box. I referee at the weekends and if I see it developing I always warn the keeper quietly that he is going too close to the edge of his box before releasing the ball.

I know in the past a fella that sat near me mentioned that allsopp was kicking out of his area..I clarified that's it's all good as long as he has released it before he exits the area.

• @ChasHarps said:
    We havent had a quality permanent keeper since Martin Taylor.

Nicky Bull had an outstanding season for us the year we went up.

And Matt Ingram, whilst a raw talent, was very good

• But, as I always say we should never have a permanent keeper, just get the best available one on loan each season

• What if the best one available on loan is no better / no better fit than what we already have?

• I don't believe that it wasn't possible to get a better goalkeeper on loan than the current no.1

A bigger mystery perhaps is that if a keeper as good and with as much pedigree as David Stockdale is not performing well enough to get into the side, why on earth did we sign him?

• Just had a look at Watford's line-up in a bored moment at work. The starting 11 had 8 full internationals and 2 U20s! Even the bench had 2 full and 3 U20s

• edited October 2020

There won't have been many available to suit our style. Most PL teams will want their 'keepers to be good with their feet and get used to playing out from the back - sending them to Wycombe wouldn't do much good for their development in that sense. We're absolutely fine with Rocky.

• Just think, if we had beaten Watford, who beat Liverpool 3-0 not so long ago with six of the same starting 11, we would officially be better than the world champions. So close!

• Hold on, we drew with the team that beat the world champions, so we are better than them.

• @eric_plant said:
    I don't believe that it wasn't possible to get a better goalkeeper on loan than the current no.1

A bigger mystery perhaps is that if a keeper as good and with as much pedigree as David Stockdale is not performing well enough to get into the side, why on earth did we sign him?

Every club needs an experienced reserve keeper, particularly at Championship level, who is capable of taking over in the event of injury, suspension or bad form of the number one. We know we have a solid one in Stockdale.

• edited October 2020

@drcongo said:
    Hold on, we drew with the team that beat the world champions, so we are better than them.

Your logic is sounder than mine, my friend!

'Wycombe v Watford: The TRUE World Club Championship'

• @eric_plant said:
    Think your glass is a little more than half full!

I didn’t say that Allsop is PL standard, I said that he would be playing at that level if he was perfect in every aspect of the art of goalkeeping. Personally, I think he’s a very good ‘keeper who has played well this season and I doubt if the manager is concerned about the strength of his first or second choice keepers.