Skip to content

Midfield two

2»

Comments

• Just a word on Thompson. He was a player whom I quietly wondered whether he'd be able to make the step up to Championship. Delighted to be proved resoundingly wrong on that. He's another who seems to be improving with every game.

• Chatting to a Notts County supporting colleague who watched our game last night. He said he was furious watching Curtis playing like that for us in The Championship.

• He is a brilliant player

What a signing

• He really epitomizes what GA has done here doesn't he? Released by a club no longer in the football league, and now a key part of a Championship team.

• I was surprised at the doubts about Curtis. From the moment when he got fit and became a regular in the team, I always felt he'd be comfortable at a higher level, because of the blend he has of athleticism, touch and understanding of the game. I guess it's understandable that his lack of involvement in the play-off campaign might have caused some doubt, but there was nothing to say that he'd lost any of those attributes.

On Gape, I still think he's a class act and would provide protection for the central defenders of considerable quality, allowing Dennis to play further forward - though I've been really impressed by the way that Dennis has got to grips with the deeper role over the last 3 games. There's so much mutual benefit there.

As others have said, given the way we play, we will need to rotate the midfield anyway. It's been a notable downside of previous campaigns that we've tended to run out of steam later in the season, not unrelated to the demands we make on the players, I'd say. So having greater depth in the middle of the park will be really important.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Even if Everton have a recall clause for Adeniran, he's not going to get into their squad unless they have a big injury crisis.

99.9% sure we wont call him back. He's come to us for some game time, he's doing really well and the only way he gets called back is to play for he u23's, so for me it's a no brainer he stays here.

• Curtis has very rarely put a foot wrong when he's played since he arrived. If he could score a few more scorchers that would be nice, but he looks comfortable at this level. There are many reasons for me to chuckle about Notts County and that is just an extra one. :wink:

• Thanks @floyd, @micra and everyone else. That makes me feel better. (When he does his Cruciate next weekend just blame me)

• edited October 2020

Kevin Nolan maintains Kevin Nolan made the right decision in letting Curtis go as Kevin Nolan did not rate him.

• I'm going to hold my hands up here, even up to this season I've never quite got the Curtis Thompson love, never rated that much, been ok on and off.... last 3 games he has been immense ! And at the moment cant see him being left out

• @micra said:
    Phew. Made a bit of ground on old Malone.

Surely your post count is already about 73 times higher than anyone else in the history of the gasroom?

@drcongo i know you're a busy man, but is there an easy extract you can run to confirm?

• More interesting would be the most number of words posted, my bet would be on Dev.

• @mooneyman said:
    More interesting would be the most number of words posted, my bet would be on Dev.

Number of thread diversions certainly would be.
    (I type, being involved in a thread diversion!)

• I can confirm that @micra is in a different league to the rest of us.

• @micra has always been Premier League IMHO.

• I’ve always had verbal diarrhoea, I’m afraid.
    I had in mind the number of visits @Malone. In that respect you outscore me by nearly two to one.

• And I must apologise to Micra as I mistakenly thought Adeniran was on loan till January rather than the whole season.

• @micra said:
    I’ve always had verbal diarrhoea, I’m afraid.
    I had in mind the number of visits @Malone. In that respect you outscore me by nearly two to one.

That makes your absolute mass pounding out of the posts even more amazing. ?

• I had a Gasroom free day yesterday so have only just caught up with recent posts. Thumbs up to all of them.

• @micra said:
    I had a Gasroom free day yesterday so have only just caught up with recent posts. Thumbs up to all of them.

Gasroom free day? Was it for charity @micra ?

• @floyd said:
    He really epitomizes what GA has done here doesn't he? Released by a club no longer in the football league, and now a key part of a Championship team.

I can't think of a better player that matches this quote, well said @floyd.