Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

Comments

• edited October 2020

@HCblue said:
    Thought the commentary was decent tonight. Whichever of them that analysed Bayo in his habit of fouling the defender before the ball comes in to create his space so he doesn't have to jump was spot on. I thought Watford were really naive in the way they played Bayo, as though they had not done their homework on us properly - the whole game felt much more comforting than some of those that preceeded it, like a L1 or L2 fixture from the past few years, because of the fact we were able to play the way we know how for most of it.

Playing more like we know has been the difference.

It is great also to see skill in every position.

Gareth has them play so intensely yet they are, to a man, calm and determined.

Just imagine what he must have had to say to get them to play so positively after 7 straight defeats. There can’t be too many managers who could pull that off.

Ainsworth’s entire attitude towards learning through adversity and knowing when to be humble just pulses through this team. Dobbo is an equally important part of this too.

We are indeed watching the greatest ever Wycombe team.

• Very good performance. As @HCblue said it was almost like a L2 game from a few years ago when Bayo and Scotty were causing teams all sorts of problems.

I must admit I wasn’t surprised in real time that Samuel’s goal was ruled out but on the replays I don’t think it was a foul.

On the Allsop debate I’m convinced that we work on him not coming out (Brown was the same). I have vague recollections from a few years back when confusion as to whether it was the keepers ball or the defenders led to 2 or 3 goals in close succession and think since then GA and the coaching team have decided it’s better if the defenders always know it’s their job to deal with any balls in the box

• @chairboyscentral said:
    @micra Can't be offside from a corner!

Thanks. For some reason I’d never known that for sure but, thinking about it, I don’t recall a lino ever raising his flag for offside in that situation.

That decision apart, I thought the referee was a considerable upgrade compared with Gavin Ward and he even awarded one or two unexpected free kicks in our favour.

• @eric_plant said:
    The more the team improves the more obviously Allsopp is shown up to be the weak link I'm afraid

Agreed, a better keeper than Allsop is needed. His slow footwork always and lack of agility is noticeable in comparison to opposition keepers. Along with his longstanding weakness of commanding his area.

• Just catching up with the results as I was covering the Southend v Oldham match. Congrats on the first point against a decent Watford side - Best wishes - Brian

• Rocky getting stick for doing nothing wrong again I see... Getting boring now

• Every keeper we’ve had since Martin Taylor had been routinely slated for not being an inhuman superman.

Blackman got a stack of abuse when he was here.

• No they haven't

Nicky Bull for example was hero worshipped

• @eric_plant said:
    No they haven't

Nicky Bull for example was hero worshipped

Actually the crap he got from some contributed greatly to his early retirement.

• Not a lot to add from me that hasnt been said

We were absolutely fantastic last night, although I nearly had to leave the room last 5 minutes as was so nervous !

I also can see why the goal was not given, I didnt celebrate as soon as it went in, it just looked a foul, thought he was backing in, having said that it didnt look as bad on the replays. Game shouldve been over by then though, unfortunately caught Foster in great form and a couple of bad misses. Sorry I also agree re Allsopp, I was screaming at the TV when he came out and nearly gave that penalty away, he just looked like he bottled it, he's a really good shot stopper but leaves me feeling nervous the rest of the time.

• Rocky was hesitant on the one occasion and it wasn't great goalkeeping. It was a mistake that ultimately had zero effect on the game. He might make people nervous but that doesn't mean he's not good enough. Seriously what else did he genuinely do wrong last night?

• I’m not the biggest Rocky fan but don’t feel the need to call him out when the whole team is playing so well. Stockdale hardly set the world on fire in his last few cameos and actually worried me more than Rocky. Yes we’d all love an ex-England international like Foster, I’d also love and ex-Barca/Madrid apprentice like Femenia whipping in crosses & Capoue holding the midfield. But we’ve suddenly emerged into a whole newrealm and I’m amazed at how well these players have grown in a matter of weeks.

• I think the point with Allsopp is though is that that must be the easiest position to strengthen using the loan market. We've done it many times before.

As for the claim that he's a "great shot stopper"? Is he? I just don't see it. I don't ever see him make saves you wouldn't expect any keeper to make.

• Agreed the 'great stop shotter' is a lazy urban myth, I cant remember the last time he made a 'worldie'.
    Scott Browne and Nicki Bull were great shot stoppers, that at times would defy logic, but they also had major flaws in dealing with crosses.

• I can't argue that there are better keepers out there but I don't think he's been making mistakes worthy of the criticism he's getting. I don't believe we are able to loan any players at the moment so we're 'stuck' with the keeper we have... Who is doing absolutely fine in my opinion. Also, has his shot stopping really been an issue so far this season?

• Surely it's a darn lucky thing Allsopp did hesitate or there's every chance he would have slammed their man down.

• @ChasHarps my memory of Bull is that he was superb at saving pens, but I don't remember a Wycombe keeper who let more long rangers in

• @chairboyscentral said:
    It's *Allsop

Must admit i had one p originally but saw every one using two so copied!!

• You know we've done something right when the opposition report describes Bayo as "A sixteen stone force of nature, almost unplayable and completely brilliant."

https://bhappy.wordpress.com/2020/10/28/wycombe-wanderers-1-watford-1-27-10-2020

• And if we're being pedantic it's Scott Brown not Browne#

• Matt Ingram also used to pull off saves that he had absolutely no right to make

• You've become the new Trevor, Eric. Sad to see.

• @eric_plant said:
    I think the point with Allsopp is though is that that must be the easiest position to strengthen using the loan market. We've done it many times before.

As for the claim that he's a "great shot stopper"? Is he? I just don't see it. I don't ever see him make saves you wouldn't expect any keeper to make.

I recommend watching this whole video, it's a decent match. But if you want proof Allsop can make saves you wouldn't expect him to make, watch from 6.30.

• Matt Ingram was regularly panned for not commanding his area too.

I prefer my comparisons to be with the Parkin / Cheesewright era. They couldn’t command their area either and were pretty poor at shot stopping and kicking too.

• Allsopp’s distribution is excellent and a key part of our strategy.

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:
    You know we've done something right when the opposition report describes Bayo as "A sixteen stone force of nature, almost unplayable and completely brilliant."

https://bhappy.wordpress.com/2020/10/28/wycombe-wanderers-1-watford-1-27-10-2020

That's a cracking match report, eh?

• How good was our football last night? Great mix of direct and skills and I can’t think of one minute where that match sagged in terms of entertainment.

It would’ve been an amazing atmosphere under the lights with a big crowd in.

Notice that @trevor has gone AWOL, which I think proves he’s a pretty effective wind up account.

• Allsop has been one of our better performers this season. He has his weaknesses, but his kicking is great and he's a perfectly good shot stopper.

If I could strengthen any area it wouldn't be the GK, unless it was for Foster based on last night's performance.

• I note that the old floodlight pylon next to the Big Screen has not been replaced yet. Perhaps the Trust Board Webinar tomorrow evening will shed more light on its replacement.