Skip to content

Match day thread: Watford

Comments

• edited October 2020

@kiscokid said:
    Sky said lots to talk about after the break then straight into a doc on Carl Lewis ??

You got caught out like i almost did mate.
    They moved us from the main event to another channel!

• @Malone said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Not much in it but can see why the referee give a foul.

There's nothing in it. It's just that refs are conditioned to afford goalies ridiculous protection.

I agree but you can't go near the goalkeeper, in my opinion he backs into him a little.

Anyways great point and hopefully we can kick on from this.

• @kiscokid said:
    Sky said lots to talk about after the break then straight into a doc on Carl Lewis ??

It continued on Sky Sports Football, main event changed.

• Both pundits think the goal should have stood.
    I don't think it's camera trickery, it's simply a case that goalies are overprotected and refs automatically blow when they shouldn't.

• Everyone in the Sky studio saying it’s a perfectly good goal, Samuel just stood his ground and if anything he’s fouled by Foster. I agree with them.

• Some of those Watford comments make our web warriors look reasoned and balanced.

• On the another note, how good is the football we're playing? A joy to watch

• They're right on Ainsworth too - class act who never looks to get after refs or try and deflect anything.

• I can see why in real time the ref gave it. Samuel bends over a little bit and it looks like he's back into him with his backside.

Looking at the replay it's clear that's not what happened but you can see why the ref made the decision

• @kiscokid said:

If you’re on Sky Football the post match chat is still ongoing. To my pleasant surprise most of it is focussed on our performance rather than Watford’s failings.

• @kiscokid said:

They switched to Sky Sports Football. Both pundits said the goal should have stood.
    Gary Johnson would have been livid if he’d been the manager.

• If that was allsop the goal would have stood

• I've come to the conclusion that refs do not like us in the Championship. Why I ask myself simple Simple they give us nothing

• Tremendous performance. Should have had 3 points. Another shit decision by a referee. Bayo was excellent. The two loanees look superb. If we keep fighting like that, we will have a chance.

Allsop should watch how Foster pushes shots to the side and out of danger. Not back in play as Allsop seems to do.

• The more the team improves the more obviously Allsopp is shown up to be the weak link I'm afraid

• we were absolutely superb today , we played Watford off the park....so unlucky not to win....encouraging signs. Scottt , beast , Tommo, grimmer and adel were superb tonight

• Sensational performance. I certainly wasn’t expecting to come away feeling gutted that we didn’t win it. Huge performances from back to front but special mentions for Adeniran and Thompson in the middle of the park, and Bayo and Scotty up top. Adeniran looks an absolutely wonderful footballer and Thompson is right back at his best. If Bayo had managed to finish one of his chances it would have been up there with his greatest ever performances for us. And Scotty puts in such an incredible amount of work, he deserves all the success he’s getting. Oh and Horgan looks pure class as well.

• It's weird to be on one point, and yet know this is the greatest Wycombe team of all time!

• @eric_plant said:
    The more the team improves the more obviously Allsopp is shown up to be the weak link I'm afraid

How so?

• At least the 'Going to lose 46 games' ended tonight.

• Rocky has been good so far this season IMO. Admittedly he had an odd moment tonight. Almost spooked himself into giving away what would have been the softest of soft penalties. Thankfully the referee held his nerve and didn’t buy the dive.

• Thought the commentary was decent tonight. Whichever of them that analysed Bayo in his habit of fouling the defender before the ball comes in to create his space so he doesn't have to jump was spot on. I thought Watford were really naive in the way they played Bayo, as though they had not done their homework on us properly - the whole game felt much more comforting than some of those that preceeded it, like a L1 or L2 fixture from the past few years, because of the fact we were able to play the way we know how for most of it.

• This was just the performance we needed to build on the promise of Saturday's showing. The lads played out of their skins tonight and a point is the very least we deserved from that game. I'm gutted about the Samuel goal being chalked off, certainly the replay showed Samuel took a step back to tense his body to stand his ground but didn't impede Foster in doing so.
    In real-time, referees will tend to err on the side of protecting the keeper, which is part of the risk of the tactic of scoring from corners.

Although that decision has cost us twice the points as the unfathomable one on Saturday to award a free-kick for the outrageous dive, I'm relatively calm (certainly compared to Saturday evening) and optimistic we can continue to improve in our six-pointer against Sheffield Wednesday.

• Is there even the slightest possibility that Samuel was offside? When the ball is crossed or passed forward there have to be two opposition players between the receiving player and the goal line. Normally it is the goalkeeper and one outfield player of course but is it even remotely feasible that only Ben Fister was between Samuel and the goal line?

I was talking to my son-in-law this afternoon and mentioned that I’d predicted a draw (see Charity thread). I said I’d be delighted with a point unless we’d dominated the game and deserved all three. What can I say? But that was a really heartwarming performance and every man jack of them deserves the highest praise.

Sorry @trevor did you say something?

• Im with @eric_plant it cant be very encouraging for the back 4 knowing he's never gonna come off his line or come for crosses etc.... Blackman came and claimed almost everything on the opening day that alone will save you points.

• edited October 2020

Up until he got away with an absolute howler that was one of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen against us from Foster, some of the players in this league are unbelievably good and it's incredible that we've put that performance in and not got a win.

Incredibly encouraging and frustrating at the same time

• @micra Can't be offside from a corner!

• It is strange to be on 1 point and yet feel elated at how the team is performing. That really was a tremendous showing tonight, full of energy, commitment and skill. There's no doubt now we can compete at this level, we just need that first win.

Great to see us creating chances and you can only give credit to Foster for a wonderful display of goalkeeping to prevent us from winning. Again, that was a very harsh call to prevent us from winning. As with the pundits, I couldn't see anything wrong with that. Just one of those goalkeepers seem to get. Not on the same level as the Vranic dive the other day, but still very frustrating.

• @HCblue said:
    Thought the commentary was decent tonight. Whichever of them that analysed Bayo in his habit of fouling the defender before the ball comes in to create his space so he doesn't have to jump was spot on. I thought Watford were really naive in the way they played Bayo, as though they had not done their homework on us properly - the whole game felt much more comforting than some of those that preceeded it, like a L1 or L2 fixture from the past few years, because of the fact we were able to play the way we know how for most of it.

Watched the game on “Hive Live” the Watford internet channel with my Watford supporting mate. He’d got the curry in so I felt that demanding Blunt Phil on IFollow was a bit much. So instead we got Tommy Mooney. My friend said before kickoff that Watford are very lightweight and struggle to win headers. He became increasingly incensed by this which showed in their defending of Bayo and agreed we should have won the game.

And Tommy Mooney’s work in the booth was, rather sadly, C- at best.