Skip to content

Entertainment for half-term week

Comments

• I say again...if anyone still thinks any government (and most especially the present Cummings Administration) would willingly shut down the economy and have to pump billions into it (I know a lot of it for big companies to nick, of course) and social services to stop mass unemployment and to try and head off a massive recession a few months BEFORE the real economic s**tstorm that is coming in No-deal January because 'a bit of flu' might 'kill a few' people. You really need your head examining. (no long rebuttal posts required.)

• Strewth.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@eric_plant said:
    "a few"

Over a million so far Dev

Out of a global population of how many? Not saying that a million is to be waved away as insignificant btw. Whilst I am not @DevC biggest fan, he does make some interesting points/analagies that aren't irrelevant.

Sounds like you probably are his biggest fan

• This does of course deserve less serious discussion than the "we're rubbish" brigade at 5pm on Saturday but this is a pearler even by previous low standards and I've got a minute:

"we don't seek to restrict car usage or reduce speeds"

I might have missed something, our government do change laws under cover of darkness without much prior notice these days) but has all the following all been abolished overnight? :

Driver Licensing and testing : Vision, ability (practical test) and knowledge (written)
    Age restrictions
    Vehicle production regulations and standards
    Vehicle import regulations
    Vehicle registration
    Insurance requirements
    Vehicle tax
    MOT checks
    Police spot checks and enforcement on issues found
    Road signs at hazard or accident spots
    Accident investigation
    Driver license points and disqualifications
    Speed limits, permanent and temporary
    Standards for private hire
    Road safety campaigns
    Emmision Zones

• Moving back to the original subject. Beaconsfield Town FC are offering free entry for WW STHs tonight. Drinks very reasonably priced too. Free parking at the ground or for 3hrs at the services opposite.

Clearly they are looking to boost their gate and I hope they are rewarded with a good attendance and plenty of WW fans enjoying some live football.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Moving back to the original subject. Beaconsfield Town FC are offering free entry for WW STHs tonight. Drinks very reasonably priced too. Free parking at the ground or for 3hrs at the services opposite.

Clearly they are looking to boost their gate and I hope they are rewarded with a good attendance and plenty of WW fans enjoying some live football.

Nicely done. I wish them well. No doubt it'll help them keep going and maybe snare the odd regular.

I'd imagine there would be a long queue of people wanting to get in at AP if open, regardless of what the advice might be.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Moving back to the original subject. Beaconsfield Town FC are offering free entry for WW STHs tonight. Drinks very reasonably priced too. Free parking at the ground or for 3hrs at the services opposite.

Free entry sounds amazing but surely just offering a discount would have been better. To be honest as a fully paid up Wycombe season ticket holder I'd go to these games and pay full price as, for me, it's only this financial contribution thats going to help.

• @DevC said

I was once asked this question during an interview (no doubt now slightly amended). You are standing on a bridge next to a middle aged man. You see two children in the river. For an unknown but definite reason the only way to save the children is for you to throw the man next to you in knowing he will die. If you dont the children will die. If you do they will live. Do you throw him in?

I still haven't worked out the correct answer.

That you haven’t does explain an awful lot about your style of posts

• @Right_in_the_Middle I think a 50% off discount for other club STHs would have been more than fair. Presumably they are hoping to pull quite a few in and get them spending on drinks etc. I've seen a few of their games have been on Mondays so maybe part of a strategy to boost gates.

I was only posting to raise awareness for WWFC STH's who might benefit.

• edited October 2020

I presume Righty by making it free rather than half-price £5 they hope they can attract more people to take up the offer and then convert a proportion of them to come back at full price next week. Very low loss if it doesn't work. It seems good marketing to me. I doubt beer revenue is massively in calculation.

So what is your choice and why @bookertease . You see a clear answer. I am not sure I do.

• @DevC said:
    I presume Righty by making it free rather than half-price £5 they hope they can attract more people to take up the offer and then convert a proportion of them to come back at full price next week. Very low loss if it doesn't work. It seems good marketing to me. I doubt beer revenue is massively in calculation.

So what is your choice and why @bookertease . You see a clear answer. I am not sure I do.

Just out of interest were you asked it in a job interview or a police interview?

• @DevC said:

Good marketing is keeping some value in a product. Giving it away gives no concept of value.
    I guess what I am saying is I can see why clubs want people in their grounds but I would pay full price if I felt like going. Any discount seems like stealing from those who need it most

• You might be right and offering a discount may attract no-one who otherwise wouldn't have come. If so nothing much lost. By offering a freebie you just might attract a few out of curiosity who then decide to go again this time paying especially while they are not allowed into League grounds. Seems a worthwhile punt to me. As the prize is future custom, I'd price tonight at free rather than £5 or full price. I'd also try same thing on a Saturday home game (even though it clashes with iplayer) - I believe they are away for the international break sadly.

• Beaconsfield Town v Harrow Borough tonight is FREE for s/t holders of WWFC on production of your s/t.

• @eric_plant said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@eric_plant said:
    "a few"

Over a million so far Dev

Out of a global population of how many? Not saying that a million is to be waved away as insignificant btw. Whilst I am not @DevC biggest fan, he does make some interesting points/analagies that aren't irrelevant.

Sounds like you probably are his biggest fan

Makes your judgement worse than I thought.

• It is a (simplistic) version of a fairly common thought experiment @DevC. With no other information, the rational response would be to throw one man in to save two lives (although accepting in real life if actually faced with the choice most wouldn’t be able to).

It becomes more interesting if you change things like would you throw one child in to save two men for example.

But my actual point was that there is no actual ‘correct’ answer to the question and searching for one will take you round in circles.

• You’d also go to prison for murder if you pushed the man in to his death.

It’s a pretty useless interview question.

• Oh I actually think it’s a very good interview question @Chris.

Out of interest @DevC, did you get the job?

• It's a regular Dr Who conundrum and (s)he always ends up devising a clever way of saving them all.

• This is some exceptional thread hijacking even by Dev's standards.
    Poor Andy Warbs has a thread about some of his non league games, and all of a sudden Dev is holding centre stage posing ludicrous 80s "interview" questions, and demanding answers from others.

Just needs a "playing the man, not the ball" quote, and it's how all peak Dev threads go.

• We've had one of those

• @eric_plant said:
    It was Stalin I think that described a million deaths as a statistic, so you're not completely alone in your thinking.

He was one of the biggest psychopaths in world history though

@Chris said:
    You’d also go to prison for murder if you pushed the man in to his death.

@Chris said:
    You’d also go to prison for murder if you pushed the man in to his death.

Defence of necessity in order to prevent a greater harm occurring. Two deaths would arise from non action.

• You know that’s the case, but why would anyone else believe you?

• @Chris said:
    You know that’s the case, but why would anyone else believe you?

Dev would be in the jury and convince his fellow jurors of the defendant's innocence!

• Not sure the social distancing at the Bishops Stortford FA Cup game tonight has done a lot of good for the let fans in campaign

Absolutely rammed and seemingly no social distancing in place

Authorities will look at that and it will reinforce their view that letting fans in is not safe

• Full time Beaconsfield 1 Harrow Borough 4, a harsh scoreline with the visitors clinical but Beaconsfield having a penalty saved, hitting the bar and other great chances saved.

A really good attendance - im terrible at guessing but would estimate 250 - came here a few Mondays ago and there was about 150. How much of that was due to the free entry for WW and Slough STHs I don't know but it's good to.see the club rewarded for using initiative.

• Beaconsfield Town 1 Harrow Borough 4

Top entertainment on a wonderful playing surface that allowed both teams to play fast, passing football. Although Beaconsfield took an early 18th minute lead, the visitors pulled a goal back a minute later & then took the lead on 37 minutes as Anthony O’Connor grabbed a brace.

After the break Beaconsfield went close to equalising, hitting the bar and forcing Harrow keeper Daniel Purdue to make some fine saves. Harrow were very dangerous on the counter-attack & won a penalty as the home side ran out of steam. Harrow keeper Purdue brilliantly saved Jefferson Louis’ late penalty before Dernell Wynter broke away and smashed home Harrow’s fourth.

Altogether a very entertaining game, well refereed for a change. Very kind of Beaconsfield to allow Slough and Wycombe season-ticket holders in for free but it helped to swell the gate and create a good atmosphere. Real football, real crowds and really good entertainment.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    A really good attendance...

Attendance given as 192.

• thanks, @Steve_Peart @A_Worboys and @DJWYC14 The question on the nation's lips is ... Did Barry Silkman play for Boro?

• Interesting, they got an attendance of 77 for the same fixture last season