Skip to content

Time to drop the 'High' in Wycombe ?

Do we not think a debate should be about dropping the High in Wycombe.
1, Its not the original name, Chepping was.
2. Everyone within Bucks refers to the town as Wycombe.
3 The district council dont even use the word High.
4 Any one from afar is confused as to whether High Wycombe and Wycombe are the same place.
5 The counties most famous, historical and most loved sporting club has never incorporated the word high, as in Wycombe Wanderers.

Comments

• Isn't it High Wyc these days?

• No, no, no, no............Yes!?

• Other notable organisations that have brought publicity to the town that dont incorporate the word 'High'
    Wycombe Phoenix harriers
    Wycombe judo club
    Wycombe Skins

• The blue and white "High Wycombe" scarves being knocked out on Wycombe market pre FA trophy final 91 were amazing

Does anyone have one?

• Anyone know why/when it was stopped being Chepping and started being High Wycombe.

• Probably a 'back hander' to the Tories, or the Wigs as they were then known.

• Chepping Wycombe still exists. It is a civil parish covering an area which includes, amongst other places, Flackwell Heath. If you live in the area you will probably be paying Council Tax to Chepping Wycombe parish. I'm a traditionalist and changing the name 'High Wycombe' to something else is as abhorent as changing the name of Flint Cottage to The Bootlegger and playing the FA Cup Final at a time other than Saturday 3.00 p. m.

• It will always be 'shithole' to me.

• @LordMandeville said:
    Chepping Wycombe still exists. It is a civil parish covering an area which includes, amongst other places, Flackwell Heath. If you live in the area you will probably be paying Council Tax to Chepping Wycombe parish. I'm a traditionalist and changing the name 'High Wycombe' to something else is as abhorent as changing the name of Flint Cottage to The Bootlegger and playing the FA Cup Final at a time other than Saturday 3.00 p. m.

Agreed.
    When someone has heard I'm from "Wycombe", they've mixed it up with Wickham and West Wickham.

• Or High Wycombe, an area of Perth, Australia.

• No, it's got to be Low Wycombe now (see thread (High) Wycombe v Watford!)??