Skip to content

Entertainment for half-term week

2 home games this week for WW & hopefully our first point(s) by the end of half-term week!

If, however, you don’t have access to Sky Sports or ifollow there are some local matches that would welcome your hard-earned pennies & moral support. I’ve also included some games where, sadly, fans are excluded due to the ridiculous lockdown rules. These are marked n/f (no fans). Some might prefer a stronger interpretation!

MONDAY 26TH OCT K.O. 7.30PM

Southern League Premier South:

Beaconsfield Town v Harrow Borough

(If you’re going to this game you can park for up to 3 hours at Beaconsfield Services opposite) & walk over. There is also limited parking at the ground.

TUESDAY 27TH OCT K.O. 7.45PM

National League:

Maidenhead United v Dagenham & R
(** n/f **)

Southern League Premier Central:

Kings Langley v Banbury United

Southern League Premier South:

Hayes & Yeading v Chesham United

Isthmian League Div 1 South Central:

Marlow v Uxbridge

Hellenic League Premier Division:

Holmer Green v Burnham

Spartan South Midlands Premier Div:

Aylesbury Vale Dynamos v Eynesbury Rovers ** 7.30 k.o. **
Leverstock Green v Arlesey Town
** 7.30 k.o. **

WEDNESDAY 28TH OCT 7.45PM

Southern League Division 1 Central:

Aylesbury United v Bedford Town
(** at Chesham United FC **)

• Another chance to see Craig Mackail-Smith in action? (for Bedford Town)

SATURDAY 31ST OCT K.O. 3PM:

National League:

Maidenhead United v Solihull Moors
(** n/f **)

National League South:

Slough Town v Bath City
(** n/f **)

F.A. Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round:

Chesham United v Whyteleafe
Marlow v Berkhamsted
Thame United v Wimborne Town
Uxbridge v Hayes & Yeading United

F.A. Vase 1st Round Proper:

Jersey Bulls v Cobham (2pm k.o. at Ascot United FC). Put this one in due to its unusual nature!

Hellenic League Premier Division:

Burnham v Fairford Town
Windsor v Chalvey Sports

As ever, if you go to one of these games (or any other) please post a brief match report on here. Hopefully, WW will be on their way at last and a few local clubs will see some bigger crowds than normal.

Comments

• edited October 2020

Intrigued what (n / f) means.

(although it takes the asterisks away when i try and copy how you wrote it!)

• n/f = no fans allowed or if more stridently put = no ****** allowed. Depends on your interpretation of lockdown rules.

• A bit further afield but involving my two previous home towns - Hitchin vs Royston on Monday night in the Southern Premier League Central is sold out - all 600 tickets gone!

• @AlanCecil That’s excellent news! Gates at many Non-League games are increasing as Premier League & EFL fans are desperate for the live match experience again.

Many fans of top clubs will realise what good entertainment is on offer for a fraction of the price. Personally I’ve lost virtually all interest in the Premier League now. The “experience” of watching games without crowds & canned crowd-effects is dire.

I’m hoping to go to Beaconsfield Town v Harrow Borough tomorrow then Marlow v Berkhamsted on Saturday. If you remember over the summer WW were interested in signing Albert Adomah (since signed by QPR). And Albert Adomah started his career where?......Harrow Borough - will be interesting to see if they have any new gems in the making!

• George Duck knew where the net was !!

• Thanks again Andy. Just watching a re run of the Hartlepool fa cup match at Ilkeston in front of quite a large non socially distance crowd on the terraces. I gather around 400 were there so why can’t we have say 1500 on three sides of our ground seating socially distanced.? I can sit in a plane for hours next to someone I don’t know but I can’t watch my team play outdoors. Rant over.

• @Mr67 Do not say “rant over” - it should just be the start until this nonsense is over. Why are 3,000 people allowed to sit INDOORS at a cinema complex watching West Ham v Man City but the same 3,000 are not allowed to sit OUTSIDE at the London Stadium watching the same game live. It’s utter illogical madness and you have to question what the hell is really going on?

• That is of course true, but the question should probably be whether it's safe to screen games in cinemas

The somewhat unpalatable truth is that football being the emotional game that it is, will make it difficult for fans to maintain safe social distancing when moments of great euphoria occur

Go and look at the scenes at the end of our play off final victory and the handful of supporters lucky enough to be there. Masks down, hugs all around. Not having a go at anyone, it's just very difficult to keep those emotions in check.

It's awful that clubs are in such dire straits without the revenue of paying crowds, and it's miserable not being able to go to games, I hate it and I wish more than anything that things were different.

But those things in themselves are not enough to allow crowds back in if it's not safe to do so.

• @eric_plant What about allowing fans into grounds who’ve had Covid-19 & have antibodies not to be a threat anymore?

• @A_Worboys Any evidence that the antibodies remain effective? Increasing number of cases of people getting COVID twice including one of the cyclists withdrawn from the Giro.

• What Baldric said

• If antibodies in the blood do not prevent infection, then there is no prospect of a vaccine working as far as I understand it.
    If a vaccine cannot end this then either we have to live with these restrictions for ever or we have to get on with our lives accepting that we have a new illness that will kill a few of us each year.

• "a few"

Over a million so far Dev

• @eric_plant said:
    That is of course true, but the question should probably be whether it's safe to screen games in cinemas

The somewhat unpalatable truth is that football being the emotional game that it is, will make it difficult for fans to maintain safe social distancing when moments of great euphoria occur

Go and look at the scenes at the end of our play off final victory and the handful of supporters lucky enough to be there. Masks down, hugs all around. Not having a go at anyone, it's just very difficult to keep those emotions in check.

It's awful that clubs are in such dire straits without the revenue of paying crowds, and it's miserable not being able to go to games, I hate it and I wish more than anything that things were different.

But those things in themselves are not enough to allow crowds back in if it's not safe to do so.

Probably the best thing you’ve ever posted online anywhere ever.

• Not a great deal of competition

• @eric_plant said:
    "a few"

There are 7.6 billion people in the world Eric. 99.98% of them have so far survived Covid.

This year c. 55 million people will die in the world. 98% of those deaths will not relate to Covid.

Road deaths will kill more people than Covid yet we don't seek to restrict car usage or reduce speeds.

Its unlikely that Covid will make the top ten causes of death worldwide this year.

Obviously though we dont know what its impact would have been had measures not been taken.

The impact and response to Covid is a little more complex and less clear cut than you suggest, I think.

• I will never understand how someone who is wrong so often feels they have earned the right to be so patronising

• "we don't seek to reduce car speeds"

Jesus....

• Football has moved on Eric. Playing the man not the ball is now heavily frowned on.

• You mean like when I pointed out you'd described over a million deaths as "a few"?

• It was Stalin I think that described a million deaths as a statistic, so you're not completely alone in your thinking.

He was one of the biggest psychopaths in world history though

• If my car brakes worked 98% of the time I’d be dead.

• Not necessarily @Chris but an interesting analogy.

• @ChasHarps said:
    George Duck knew where the net was !!

He certainly did. After my time at Wealdstone but I’ve read about his achievements - not least his record 251 goals in 370 games between 1972 and 1979, a record that, not surprisingly, still stands today.

He was also clearly a great character in the cockney mould as his speech at a Wealdstone Sporting Lunch in March 2014 testifies. It’s on YouTube and well worth a watch. It’s very relatable and demonstrates how lucky I have been to be involved with two very special clubs.

• BMW drivers have managed without indicators for years so 98% brakes doesn't sound as scary as it should.

More importantly though does anyone have any advice on how to question @DevC on his personal views without drawing the standard 'you are attacking me personally' defence? I am thinking it's because he personally dislikes certain posters but this is ironic on various levels.
    Can you personally attack someone for personally attacking you?
    Can you even personally attack an anonymous internet persona?

• Its an interesting analogy but perhaps not a relevant one.

All human beings will die -its just a matter of time, yet strangely we are scared to talk about death openly.

All human deaths are very sad but we accept risks in our every day life. We could reduce the number of people who die but only at a cost to our enjoyment of our lives. Finding the balance between those two things is the challenge.

As it stands the number of at least serious injury on our roads in UK as a percentage of cars owned is almost exactly the same as number of covid deaths as a percentage of population in UK.

We could reduce the number of serious road injuries and deaths substantially by designing our cars such that they cannot exceed 15mph. We could virtually eliminate them if we banned private car usage. We don't do that because we judge the benefit we get from driving our cars at reasonable speed outweighs the loss to society from death and serious injury that causes.

We have to do the same calculation for Covid. What disruption are we prepared to accept balanced against what death toll are we prepared to accept.

Then to make it even more complicated are all deaths equal or is for example the death of an 85 year old less negative to society than the death of a 25 year old.

Then do we try to factor in the less easily identifiable impacts. Do we factor in suicides if any caused by loneliness of lockdown or cancer deaths caused by people scared or unable to visit their doctor during Covid.

its a complicated question.

I was once asked this question during an interview (no doubt now slightly amended). You are standing on a bridge next to a middle aged man. You see two children in the river. For an unknown but definite reason the only way to save the children is for you to throw the man next to you in knowing he will die. If you dont the children will die. If you do they will live. Do you throw him in?

I still haven't worked out the correct answer.

• Easier just to admit over a million deaths should never be described as "a few"

• What was the job you were being interviewed for @DevC ? Assassin?

• @micra said:

@ChasHarps said:
    George Duck knew where the net was !!

He certainly did. After my time at Wealdstone but I’ve read about his achievements - not least his record 251 goals in 370 games between 1972 and 1979, a record that, not surprisingly, still stands today.

He was also clearly a great character in the cockney mould as his speech at a Wealdstone Sporting Lunch in March 2014 testifies. It’s on YouTube and well worth a watch. It’s very relatable and demonstrates how lucky I have been to be involved with two very special clubs.

What era did you watch Wealdstone @micra ? Were you on the balcony at Yeading for the boozy second halves?

• edited October 2020

@eric_plant said:
    "a few"

Out of a global population of how many? Not saying that a million is to be waved away as insignificant btw. Whilst I am not @DevC biggest fan, he does make some interesting points/analagies that aren't irrelevant.