Skip to content

How much longer?

How much longer do we give Ainsworth to turn this around? And has he got the ability to do it?

Comments

• Has that lovable rogue Richie got a new account!!

• He can't turn it around with his resources and without the funds available to many clubs in that division .What do you expect ?

• Mike Bassett's available

• And Dave of course.

• I'd give him all season fella, then if we do get relegated he can take us up again next season !

• I'm giving Ainsworth three years and not a minute longer.

• @mooneyman said:
    Has that lovable rogue Richie got a new account!!

No, it’s that 6 Gasroom visits per annum kid, complete with comic relief nose.
    What a comeback.

• @Hughie said:
    He can't turn it around with his resources and without the funds available to many clubs in that division .

This.

I realise the original post is probably just trolling, but...

there is no way Ainsworth will be sacked this season. He’s doing what he can with the players at his disposal, we’re playing well but not getting the breaks.

A clear miss so far is our up front presence, in terms of the ability to win the headers (sticking Anthony Stewart up top from goal kicks is clear testament to this) - Ikpeazu and Akinfenwa haven’t been available, but now they are.

I don’t expect either to be prolific at this level but I do expect them to win the challenges to feed Fred or Kashket.

I’ve only been able to watch half of the games so far but even in the one where we got spanked (Blackburn) I’ve never faulted the team’s commitment, I think we’re getting it better at keeping it tight at the back now also which is vital.

I don’t think that changing the manager would change anything with the resources we have.

• It’s more a question of how long does Ainsworth give us.

• Gaz at Wycombe is unsackable. He could get us relegated two years running and I still wouldn’t be calling for his head.

• Clearly, if we didn't sack Gareth when we nearly went out of the football league, there is no on pitch performance this season that would see him sacked.

• @micra said:

@mooneyman said:
    Has that lovable rogue Richie got a new account!!

No, it’s that 6 Gasroom visits per annum kid, complete with comic relief nose.
    What a comeback.

I suspect it's not the actual strawberry jam nose Pierre abuser himself....

• Sack the manager now I mean what has he ever done for our club ?

• @TheComebackKid said:
    How much longer do we give Ainsworth to turn this around? And has he got the ability to do it?

Are you that numpty who posts crap on The BFP website? If so you are you're a total knob.

• Not that I advocate sacking Gareth at all, I think he’s brilliant and soon things will start to turn around for us. However I seem to remember bits in Close Quarters from the Couhigs which stated something along the lines of ‘We love Gareth but he isn’t the club so if he loses 15 games on the spin then he will go’. Now I wonder if that would actually happen. Not saying we will lose 15 or even if we do whether we would sack him. Just suggesting that his position might not be as safe as many think?

• That might become an awkward quote as we're well on the way to that!

• edited October 2020

The thing is, Gareth kind of is the club. That's just natural when one man's been at the helm for so long.

• I suspect Gareth is safe this season whatever happens (and quite rightly) and if we get relegated it will depend on the start to the L1 season whether or not he stays (or wants to if he gets another offer.) In the same way as after Torquay I cannot see the club paying off one manager and getting another management team in any time soon. Thats a lot of cash to splash.

• We will not lose 15 matches “on the spin”, assuming that means consecutively.

• @micra said:
    We will not lose 15 matches “on the spin”, assuming that means consecutively.

Sunderland’s ‘modern era’ record will not be one we surpass.

• I have to plead ignorance there @Manboobs. What/when did Sunderland do?

• Ainsworth is safe as long as he still wants it.

The time will come when he moves on when he feels he's taken the club as far as he can. That will be down to financial clout rather than managerial ability.

• Pretty much the same as Martin in his day, but as is now known, his relationship with the hierarchy had deteriorated to some extent.

• No way will Ainsworth will get sacked this season and nor should he, however I do wonder if GA would relish another season with Wycombe back in League One particularly if a bigger club with more resources came in for him.

• @micra said:
    I have to plead ignorance there @Manboobs. What/when did Sunderland do?

Lost 17 in a row if I remember right. Early 2000s?

• @Stewie63 said:
    No way will Ainsworth will get sacked this season and nor should he, however I do wonder if GA would relish another season with Wycombe back in League One particularly if a bigger club with more resources came in for him.

I'm not entirely sure they would though if we've been relegated, particularly with not many points. We all know the mitigating circumstances, and can see the passion and improvement in the team, but I imagine your average Championship chairman will just see it as proof that Gareth couldn't succeed at this level and would be too much of a risk. If footballing stock is a thing, his stock was probably at it's highest immediately after the playoff final (unless he keeps us up, or gets close to doing so).

• We could lose all 46 games this season and he wouldn't get the sack.

• @Username said:
    We could lose all 46 games this season and he wouldn't get the sack.

As safe as Gareth may be I think I would give the Gasroom a miss for a bit if we lose all 46 games. The delighted braying in the neighbourhood would be unbearable.

• @Username said:
    We could lose all 46 games this season and he wouldn't get the sack.

Can't work out the tone in your post. Is that a good or bad thing?

After all based on your previous moans Ainsworth has achieved the following:-

We look like scoring
    We have midfielders looking ok at this level
    We are competitive

• @micra said:
    We will not lose 15 matches “on the spin”, assuming that means consecutively.

What makes you sure out of interest? Did you think we'd lose 7