Skip to content

Match day thread: Norwich

Comments

• Absolutely sickening. Rotherham 90th minute, Millwall disallowed goal and now this? The football Gods have really decided to stop smiling on us since September.

• If there is any justice Ward will suffer the same punishment as the idiot who reffed the LFCvEFC game and left Pickford on the pitch.

• Seriously though am so proud of today's performance I thought they worked so hard for each other, defended as a unit and looked the most creative we have so far.

We deserved the draw as a minimum.

• edited October 2020

@CyprusSwan said:
    maybe our face really doesnt fit in this league.

Remember we did "steal" Peterborough's rightful place in the Championship with our shithousery! This is just karma.

• @drcongo said:
    In the replays for the red you can see an actual punch in the face. I’m so angry about that ref’s performance. I’ve never seen such shit.

He probably thought it was allowed based on what the ref had been letting go.

• I hope the ref's car has a big boot. He'll need plenty of room for all those turkeys and jars of mustard.

• I’ve not been this angry about a game in a long long time

• edited October 2020

One of these days we're going to give someone a hiding if we keep playing like that. We more than matched a team that has aspirations of going straight back up to the top-flight and certainly were good value for a draw.
    The sheer blatancy of the dive by Vrancic should have been as clear a yellow card for simulation as you'll ever see, but after 90 minutes of a refereeing horrow show from the officials, he must have thought he had a chance of getting away with it. Surely he'll be getting one of those retrospective bans for that?

This run of results would test even the most effective leader to keep their troops motivated, but I'm sure Gareth and Dobbo will spend the next few days picking the lads up and showing them videos of what they did right today. Getting anything from Tuesday's match against another team relegated from the Premier League last season will be a huge ask, but you feel that our time will come sooner rather than later.

• Even my Norwich mates said we should have had a penalty. Great performance. It will come but needs to happen soon to give us some hope of staying up.

• Probably the most gutting thing is that the players deserve an ovation from a large travelling support after that display and instead will have to walk off to silence to a make shift dressing room.

I firmly believe empty stadiums are making referees worse. They are not getting a crowd reaction to complete the decision making process. The guy today was awful on so many levels. A total disgrace to the sport. Giving a foul against Bayo for his first challenge and the random sending off were almost like the encore to a greatest hits set of shitness.

So proud of the players and the management. I just hope they know that because sitting in front of a computer screen doesn't feel like support to me. These guys deserve support like never before.

• GUTTED BIG TIME WELL PLAYED WYCOMBE

• So far this season I've been like @drcongo said on Tuesday, happy watching us improve game by game and not getting to down about it. Tonight I'm livid, so in some ways I'm reading that as me having hope.

Outstanding team performance today. Dennis Adeniran was magnificent first half, Anthony Stewart the MOTM 2nd, but really, I couldn't fault anyone out there.

If that referee is a professional, then there really is no hope. I could see that final free kick was a massive dive first time, watching on a jerky ifollow picture.

There's no need for our team to feel downhearted after that - we're competing and will get some good fortune soon.

• I thought it was a clear penalty for Fred, even without the replays, though to be charitable to the referee I can see why he gave their free kick in the 90th minute; you could just about argue that Fred blocked his path to the goal.

Clearly the best performance so far from a team that has improved every match. Playing Wheeler, Fred and Horgan together gives us Championship experience in attack. Wheeler's flick-on for Kashket reaffirms my belief that he's one of the best players Gareth has signed for us over the years (along with Bayo, O'Nein and Stewart).

What we still struggle to deal with are the quick triangles most of our opponents play. Reading were good at it in the week but Norwich today were spectacular. One option is to park the bus, as we tended to do at times. But I wonder whether there's more we can do on the training pitch to work out ways of countering those sharp, short one-touches that have a habit of carving us open. Maybe something for the B team can help with.

• It truly is the hope that kills you.
    Other games have felt a more resigned feel.

Today was a fair bit different, albeit soaking up a huge amount of pressure, and doing very well to keep the game anywhere near alive after that early Norwich battering ram job.

• A friend said before the game that if you replayed the season 100 times, we would almost always have at least 4 points, and really we should be 4-8. Now it should be anywhere from 5-11 points, as far as I am concerned.

• Do things ever really 'even out over the season'? I bloody hope so. Got to feel for Thompson and Wheeler who were immense today. We dragged tjem down to our level fir most of tje game

• The level of cheating is this league is so much higher than what we are used to. We've looked a very streetwise team but this season we have looked like the wide eyed new boys.

• I just wrote to the FA demanding an inquiry into Gavin Ward's performance, because at best it was utterly incompetent and at worst it was corrupt. No idea if they even take emails from fans seriously at all, I've never been angry enough to email them before. Worst refereeing I've ever seen at any level.

• And I've seen Gurnham Singh referee.

• @drcongo said:
    I just wrote to the FA demanding an inquiry into Gavin Ward's performance, because at best it was utterly incompetent and at worst it was corrupt. No idea if they even take emails from fans seriously at all, I've never been angry enough to email them before. Worst refereeing I've ever seen at any level.

Spot on - I have been considering the spectrum of his refereeing (and that of this division in general), and those are the only two words worthy of appearing at either end..."incompetent" and "corrupt".

• Main difference for me between the teams was their accurate passing and it seemed they always managed to cut ours out. Horgan had two or three little moves that were just inches away from putting someone through. Also a lot of quick free kicks and fast distribution from their keeper. Very pleased with the team today and things are improving.

• Really proud of the team today.

I wanted us to go out and impose ourselves and look like we belonged to be there and we absolutely did that.

They did not deserve what happened at the end and on another day we would have won that game.

Thought they all played well but was particularly impressed with Knight, Stewart, Grimmer, Adeniran and Fred. Also very encouraged by Uche when he came on

• edited October 2020

@aloysius said:
    I thought it was a clear penalty for Fred, even without the replays, though to be charitable to the referee I can see why he gave their free kick in the 90th minute; you could just about argue that Fred blocked his path to the goal.

Vrancic actually stamped on Fred's foot and went over like he'd been shot. If you're being charitable to the ref, you could argue that letting that go without punishment to Vrancic would be a terrible decision, nevermind awarding him a free-kick to reward his foul play. Can a player be double yellow carded for a foul and attempted simulation?

• @drcongo said:
    I just wrote to the FA demanding an inquiry into Gavin Ward's performance, because at best it was utterly incompetent and at worst it was corrupt. No idea if they even take emails from fans seriously at all, I've never been angry enough to email them before. Worst refereeing I've ever seen at any level.

I salute you @drcongo but I wonder how many emails they get from fans claiming that every week? They've probably only just got through the ones from Peterborough and Sunderland about the unfairness of a free-falling League One team getting promoted!

• @drcongo said:
    And I've seen Gurnham Singh referee.

Memories of him failing the see that blatant Lincoln handball in the last game of the 98/99 haven't faded, despite it not mattering one jot in the end.

• It's an embarrassing decision. He jumps into the challenge, doesn't win the ball, Stamps on Fred's ankle. How the referee has come to his conclusion we will never know. Hard to take

• Unfortunately at full speed, no doubt with legs blocking his view, and linesmen generally being bottlers, you can understand him guessing that their guy was fouled.

But on watching on tv and then that slow mo it's an absolutely incredible call to make.

• And that's the problem: too many of them guess.

• Have you forgotten Andy D’Urso already!